anyone else suffering from sciatic nerve pain? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is anyone else being killed by horrid sciatic nerve pain? This is the 2nd time I've been hit with this, I feel immobilized.

anyone else want to complain?
#2 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 02:59 PM

YES!!! I can't even walk half the time! Good golly Miss Molly, the pain a 13 ounce baby can cause! :LOL

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM

I had that terribly bad with DD, so I've been seeing a Chiropractor to help with it this time around.
#4 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 04:51 PM

I did not have it at all with ds, but this time it has been horrible. I can barely walk sometimes and it almost makes me fall down sometimes when I am walking down the stairs.
#5 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 04:51 PM

I did with my first pregnancy and the chiropractor got rid of it in 1 session.
#6 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi! I'm a September 04 mommy, hope you don't mind me popping in. I had a lot of trouble with sciatic nerve pain when I was pregnant with DS. I didn't have a chance to go to a chiropractor but swimming really helped mine. Nothing vigorous, just slow laps or kicking back and forth across the pool on a kickboard. I think it strengthened my lower back some (not that I thought it was weak) and I didn't have any more pain after I started doing that.

Sonja

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 09:26 PM

I have issues with it too. I see a chiro, but still have the issue <shrug> Some days it's worse than others. I'd love to swim - whether it helped or not!!
#8 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 02:20 AM

Oh ya, another thing that helped was to get a knee pillow. It's a little foam pillow you put between your knees, it really helps to relieve stress on the lower back when you're sleeping.
#9 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 11:23 AM

Sometimes when I get up from lying down the area around my sacrum seems stiff & sore. Not sure if it's related to the sciatic nerve but usually a few pelvic tilts & swivels takes it away. I think yoga is supposed to help too.
#10 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 11:45 AM

Yoga really helped my sciatic nerve pain with my last pregnancy. If you decide to give this a try mention to the instructor that you have this problem so they can be sure to give you some poses to do that target this area.

A non-yoga stretch I liked was holding onto a counter or the back of a sturdy chair, laying the ankle of the sore side across my knee, and then lowering down into a sitting position.
#11 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 PM

I had it really really bad w/ my first. Along w/ PSD. W/ my second I had both bad as well, but went to a chiropractor in the beginning of my last trimester, which is when it gets REALLY bad (you ain't felt nothing yet, you first time moms! Sorry to say!) and while the chiropractor did not get rid of it ocmpletely.. Well, if I had gone twice a week maybe he could have. LOL! But it helped A LOT! W/ both the PSD and the sciatica.

I also found that doing lots of pelvic rocks and squatting really helps to open up the pelvis and feels really good for both of those problems. My chiro also showed dh a pressure point somewhere on my butt cheek :LOL that really relieves it a lot between sessions. Also taking a long brisk walk (no stopping often, so put the kids in a stroller or backpack, even if they hate it lol) also helps to stretch out the pelvic area, which relieves a lot of the pressure feeling.

I bought a prenatal yoga dvd the other day. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm hoping all the stretching will help w/ a lot of this stuff. I really think a lot of this is caused by us being so used to not exercising and stretching enough. Especially if we work, which I did w/ both of my previous pregnancies. Just chasing my toddler around this time is making me feel much healthier and looser than w/ my previous 2. When I was working last time, I found hat if I got up and really stretched (who cares how dumb you look) my whole body at least every hour, I felt much better. I also sat cross legged or w/ one leg up w/ the ankle on my other knee a lot at my desk. That also helped a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page