swimsuit suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2005, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi ladies - I have been trying on swimsuits but have had trouble finding enough room in the bosom. Before pregnancy, I was a cute size 8 with a full bosom (36DD). Swimsuits were difficut to find but there were some possibilities. Now that my belly is popping out (~22 weeks), my regular suits no longer fit. I'll be joining my DH for a conference in Orlando in early May and would love to be able to enjoy the hotel's pool.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've tried on suits at Motherhood, Lands Ends, and Target. They look cute but show waaaaaaay too much cleavage! Thanks for any ideas,

palmetto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 02:25 PM

Hmmm...I saw some cute suits at Old Navy yesterday in the maternity department, but I'm not sure if they might pose the same problem for you. If you absolutely can't find anything that covers you enough, there are some very adorable cover ups out now. Target has some great gauze, tunic-style cover ups in the non-maternity section, but they would definitely work. Also, there are some poncho-style cover ups out...I think I saw those at Motherhood or Mimi Maternity?

Sorry, unfortunately I'm not "blessed" with the same problem. I was a B/C before pregnancy, and now I'm up to a D, but I don't really have a prob. finding to things that fit.

I hope that helps a bit?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Old Navy and Gap suits aren't big enough for big boobs. I have the same problem. Mimi Maternity seems to have some really cute ones in both 2 and 1 piece styles. Other than that, I might go Victoria's Secret bikini b/c they have bra-sized tops.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM

I have a 1-piece maternity swimsuit I got at JC Penney when I was pg w/ my first 6 years ago. It fits very well and doesn't show too much cleavage. I am about the same size as you. Well, before this pregnancy andyway. LOL (I have smaller breasts than you when I'm not nursing. I went into this pregnancy still nursing ds2. My boobs get much bigger than the average gal when I'm pregnant and nursing) Anyway, I don't know if their swimsuit styles have changed that much int he last few years, but they might be worth checking out. I had to order mine thru the catalog, but if you live in a bigger city, they might carry them in the store. Either way, if it doesn't fit well, you don't have to buy it. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Where do you buy you regular non-maternity clothes anyway? I hate the way shirts fit me when I'm nursing! I wear loose tee shirts most of the time for ease in lifting up, but I think they make my shape look horrible! I'm very curvy and wear size small or medium tops when I'm not nursing (B cups bras), but when I'm nursing, I wear DD's and nothing seems to fit right! If it's not too tight on my boobs, then where the shoulder meets the sleeve is way down to or past my bra strap and the belly of the shirt is gaping and makes me look fat! It really sucks! Have you found a particular brand or store that gives you a good fit? I mean right now I'm wearing maternity and there's nothing I can do about that, but it would be nice to actually have some clothes that fit me well after the baby is born! Do you just wear tight shirts all the time? I don't mind doing that, but it's a pain for nursing. Anyway, TIA!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:23 PM

I got a great one-piece Liz Lange suit (for Target) at a consignment store, with no wear on it. It was turquoise and had sort of a keyhole back, and it fits great with no cleavage problems. I'm almost exactly the same size pre-preg. Maybe you can find one like that on Ebay or something? Also the Fit Pregnancy suits look pretty supportive, but I haven't bought one yet to recommend it.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried on the cute keyhole one at Target, the straps were to thin to hold up my 38 DDD's. It had the keyhole in the front though. I bought the halter style one and said to heck with it. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:44 AM

Does Lands End have any maternity ones? Old Navy has some tunic coverups and tanks, and you could get a pretty sarong. I my sarong in labor.

simply being a mama to 5!loving, living and learning at home...
Old 04-30-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, thanks to all the great advice. I will definitely check out the ideas mentioned. the last swimsuit I purchased, was cup-sized, and it came from a swim catalog...I can't remember the name, but it was extremely well made. It was about $100 (which was difficult to justify since I grew up pinching pennies), but after several years of not finding anything comfortable at TJ Maxx, Ross, or dept store sales, I went for it. My suit was "funded" by a combination fo birthday money and a work bonus! The swimsuit has enough poolside glamour to feel comfortable but held up really well to waterskiing. Of course, I won't be waterskiing this summer!

Wendy1221, I have struggled buying clothes over the years (haven't we all?) b/c my shoulders are a bit narrow for my chest, and my waist is a bit high. Unless the top is somewhat fitted, the cloth gathers around my waist and looks plain frumpy. Great for pjs but not for everyday. I have found tailored clothing with princess seams works well. Petite tops, esp. jackets, work much better on me than regualr missy sizes. Also, I try to stick with necklines that look good on me. For ex, a boat neckline really opens up my shoulders while square ones accentuate my bust too much. Everyone is a little different. For nursing, I am planning on purchasing a few Motherwear nursing tops in basic colors. Hopefully, by the time baby #2 arrives, I will have figured out what works and what doesn't.

Thanks again for the swim advice. After I turn in my final grad school paper on Monday I will hit the stroes!
Old 04-30-2005, 07:43 PM

I love Motherwear's catalog, but in my experience the sizes range a lot...I usually have to send half of the order back. Talk to a rep and see if some items or colors run smaller or larger, and what you can expect the shrinkage to be. I bought a basic fitted tee in 3 colors, and only the grey fit well. The rest were really snug, and I had ordered a size up from the chart! The knit skirt was useless, and I had problems with the twinset. (I see they've changed the twinset, but I'm not in a hurry to reorder.) This go around, I'm just getting some Glamour Mom tanks and a few snap cardigans from Hannah Andersson to go with comfy post partum pants. Along with the Lana wool nursing pads I bought last time, I'll be set. Well, maybe some new clogs...comfy shoes are a must!

Old 05-01-2005, 08:14 AM

I bought a tankini style suit off eBay. It is a Japanese Weekend one. The bust is way huge on me. Approx 38C at the moment. It is not low cut at all. There is a ton of space in the "support" panel area. My only complaint about the suit is the bottoms. The backside is so huge it hangs off of me while the front is so tiny I would have to shave way beyond a normal bikini line. Way way beyond. Kind of odd since how many pregnant women can see down there to shave. Probably why it was on eBay. I now wear my old suit bottoms in blue with my black tankini top.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:02 PM

I have the exact same problem. I am usually a size 8 with a 34DD bra. So I can relate.

I was wondering about swimsuits too, I think if I can't find one I will simply go to a swimsuit store where you can buy 2 piece suits and choose the bra size and the bottom size separately... Then get one of those cute little skirt type cover ups for the bottom, I hate having to shave and usually wear the short type bottoms for swim suits..

I also ended up (pre-pregnancy) going to a swim suit store to find one that would actually hold up my breasts. I spent a fortune but it was well worth it!

Let me know if you find a decent suit.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 PM

Saw some cute suits on Land's End yesterday.

User Tag List