Glucose Tolerance Test--To Eat or Not to Eat - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everybody:

I'm having my first GTT this week (early, because I developed gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy.) I've heard different things from two different OBs on eating before the test. One told me I should eat a no-carb, high protein breakfast first (such as eggs, turkey bacon, etc.)... the other said not to eat.

What have you been told??

Karla

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 PM

My midwife said to have a light breakfast. My test is at 9 AM

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM

I already had one at 12 weeks?? I don't know why, but they said to eat lgith also, just enough to get ya by basically. I will be getting another I guess at 28 weeks, but that is just odd to me that I already had one, and didn't have GD with DD.

but I'd say a bagel or toast or cearal or somrthing like that.
#4 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 02:14 PM

I was told not to eat anything after midnight & go get tested first thing in the morning.
#5 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 02:22 PM

I think it depends on the test they are doing. Mine is a fasting - drink the orange crap and wait and hour type. So, no breakfast or midnight snacks for me! I would definitely get clarification from whomever is doing your test so you don't have to do it twice.
#6 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 02:27 PM

Mine is the drink the stuff and wait an hour thing, too, but my midwife said to eat breakfast before I come in, just not anything too sugary like oj and maple syrup.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#7 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 02:37 PM

I had mine last week in the afternoon. I just ate normally during the day. I assume I passed since I haven't heard from my OB about it.

My OB recommended not eating for a couple hours before hand - based on the time of day that I did it, that was normal for me.

With my first DD, though - I had a big bowl of macaroni and cheese right before and I still passed then. ;-) So who knows.
#8 of 9 Old 05-23-2005, 04:51 PM

I forget who mentioned that they had their first GCT at 12 weeks, but I just wanted to add that I had one at 13 weeks too. On recommendation from the nurse due to a family history of diabetes. What she told me (which is basically all crap,the test included, from my perspective) was that if there is a likelihood for GD then they like to test early so they can spot the signs earlier rather than later. At the time I was feeling worrisome so I went along with the whole 'do whatever even if its uneccessary as long as baby is ok mode'.

Anyhoo my hospital which is largely staffed by MWs recently had an adverse outcome. It was not due on any part to something the MW did or didn't do. Anyway the powers that be have stepped in and are now mandating that all patients see an OB for at least one prenatal visit. My last prenatal was with the OB who was ok to. Then she tells me that I'll have to have the GCT repeated between 24-28weeks. I'm like what for, I took it already, she's like yeah well we just want to make sure your body is handling sugars just as well now as it was then. My next appt will be with my MW. I don't know what she will say, I'm guessing as protocal and especially cause BIG Brother is watching more now, she's going to send me for the test. Hmm I wondering if I should just skip it if she does.

How do y'all feel about the test overall? Isn't really just totally unrealistic? The OB was telling me yeah it kind of is but we just like to challenge your body a bit. Well what does it mean if I fail this abnormal sugar challenge, what the heck does that say about how my body is processing under normal conditions?

Thanks for asking the ? UmmSami cause I've been waiting to vent on this.
#9 of 9 Old 05-24-2005, 01:48 PM

I think it depends on whether it's a Fasting GTT or not. You need to check w/ your doc. If it's a fasting test, you wouldn't be able to eat for 8-12 hours before. If not, my OB's nurse recommended to me to eat a low carb/high protein meal if I was going to eat w/in 2 hours of the test.

That and I've heard (read it in Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, I think) to exercise a lot after drinking the glucola.

Recommended Reading
User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page