Plans for birth control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not quite time to think about this, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I haven't figured out what we'll use. I've had an IUD (BAD news!!!!!), the pill, tried NFP (great if I could actually keep the thermometer away from my ds who loves to reset it for me before I would get a chance to write it down : ), Depo (another bad, bad thing for me), condoms (don't care for these AT ALL). I'm sure I'm forgetting something in that list. None of those are options for me at this point.

What do you plan to use? What have you tried that you liked or disliked? Why?

Shannon
#2 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 05:54 AM

Good question. I've gotton pg both times on birth control. The pill and the patch. but the patch I think was more my error then anything.
Depo~ no good for me either
Pill~got pg
I think I'll try the patch again, or the monthly shot. Last time I asked for it my Dr. said he thought it was too knew to the market, and didn't want me to try it yet. To be honest, I would prefer to get my tubes tied, BUT my Dr. said something about, you have to be 27 yrs or 3 kids in MI. : I'm only 21 and on my 2nd. I don't want to have another, just to not have anymore, if that makes sense..LOL. I should bring this up at my appt on Tues.

Why didn't you like the IUD, if you don't mind me asking. That was going to be my next to permenant approach. But i would love to hear you experience with it.
#3 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 08:08 AM

Lactational ammenhorrea! I have gotten my period back at 16 months pp with both pregnancies. At that point I'm ready to start making another so that my kids are about 2.5 years apart in age. I think I read that 16 months is about average for women who are nursing the way Mother Nature intended, some sooner, some later. But still, 16 months is pretty good for an average!
Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#4 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning to re-read Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing before the baby is born. Other than that, we do have a very big box of condoms that I got from a friend at the Health Dept, but I know we're not that consistant about using them. If I can get LAM to work again like it did last time and then use condoms for a couple months after so that the kids end up at least two years apart, I'll be happy.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 AM

We use NFP, so that's what we'll be using after the baby's born.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 AM

No plans yet. It took 20 months for me to get my first ppaf with ds. I was working part-time, pumping (but not often), and he was eating lots of solids-so it wasn't even ideal circumstances. I think part of the delay was that I lost so much weight with breastfeeding. Not sure, though. Eventually I will have to start thinking about what we'll do, though, as I don't want a third child anytime too soon.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#7 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 AM

I intend to just do fertility awareness. Part of it is, I figure that it took me a year and a half plus Clomid to get pregnant this time, so I'm not too concerned about getting pregnant again on accident.

Oh, I'm also not too concerned because I want to have more kids after this one.

Julia
#8 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 11:35 AM

ok, well I know I posted....weird.

We will be doing NFP again, and dh wants to get a vasectomy.

I've gone the mini pill, depo and ortho tricyclen...they all suck.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#9 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&gsmom
Lactational ammenhorrea! I have gotten my period back at 16 months pp with both pregnancies. At that point I'm ready to start making another so that my kids are about 2.5 years apart in age. I think I read that 16 months is about average for women who are nursing the way Mother Nature intended, some sooner, some later. But still, 16 months is pretty good for an average!
Suzy
If you really don't want to get pregnant I wouldn't count on this alone (I think this method works better for women in developing countries). For women who have access to a lot of nutritious food I think the efficacy varies. There is a woman I met at a bf support group who never got her period but was pregnant again after her first child was 3 months old. I got my period back after 7 months (and my DS didn't eat solids til he was close to a year) and I got pregnant when he was 14 months old. I do have a friend with a child who is 20 mo who still hasn't gotten her period, so it's working for her.
#10 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 12:52 PM

Tried a couple different varieties of The Pill...all of them messed me up hormonally, so I'd really rather not go that direction again.

Not really thrilled about the prospects of condoms/spermicide (the injectable gel type) & breastfeeding combo as ALL THREE FAILED SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!! and we were blessed with this bean. And we're careful too!!!

I have a friend who uses a cervical cap and it works great for her...thinking about going that route in conjunction with NFP.

Although DH isn't opposed to a vasectomy, he's also not jumping up and down for one at this point since we don't know how large we would like our family to be blessed to be.

Momma to the monkeys three
#11 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 01:01 PM

I think we will just use NFP for a while. I don't like any of the alternatives. Dh keeps saying he wishes they'd come out with a pill for him to take.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#12 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Lactational ammenhorrea is only "garunteed" for most exclusively on-demand breastfeeding mamas for the first 6 months of baby's life.

I can't use anything with hormones. I won't get an IUD (w/out hormones). Dh has backed out of getting "fixed" twice (he was going to after Zack was born then decided to wait and then was "definitely" going to after Haley was born but chickened out ... luckily!!!). He probably won't be getting a vasectomy any time soon...the more he hears about it, the less he wants to do it!

I'm guessing that we'll use a combo of fertility awareness and condoms...not that we'll find the time to actually have sex w/ four kids and our differing schedules! :LOL

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#13 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 02:24 PM

We're still not sure. I'm scared to be honest. I have a feeling it will be a while before our sex life resumes.
#14 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 02:26 PM

We'll be using LAM for the first 6 months and then evaluate things from there. LAM is extremely effective as long as you meet all of the criteria. All of the women I know who got their period (or got pregnant before 6 months) while supposed using LAM, did not meet all of the requirements - they are very stringent! If they are met, it is more effective than the birth control pill.

Overall, in order to rely on it the baby needs to be exclusively breastfed on demand (any pumping at all will negate this), you need to be co-sleeping, no pacifiers, no solids, and your period needs to have not returned. Some places say that you need to nap-nurse as well. Lots of AP moms will meet these requirements, but really very few in the general population do.

Anyway - back on topic. My DH and I are done after this pregnancy. I'm debating allowing him to have a vasectomy (he wants to!), but I am torn because of my religious beliefs. We've always used NFP as birth control. However, my health is really jeopardized by being pregnant so I do have to wonder if in that case it is okay to look at the birth control issue differently. I just don't know.
#15 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 03:30 PM

My biggest problem with BC Pills and the patch is that it doesn't prevent you from conceiving, it just prevents implantation. I've had five miscarriages and the thought that I would willingly MS just kills me. So no BC

I'm having some health issues with this PG so DH is getting pretty close to the vasectomy choice. I've always wanted a really big family, so I'm not as gung ho about this option. I guess we will just go back to NFP.

LAM doesn't work for us b/c with every single child my period has come back within 8 - 10 weeks PP. We are exclusivly bf. My kids wouldn't even take a bottle at all!! One of the things I like about being pregnant is that I don't have a period :LOL Dh says that's no reason just to keep having kids
#16 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 06:45 PM

We'll be using NFP (in conjunction w/ LAM as long as that lasts). It's the only form of bc we've used and we're completely satisfied w/ it.
#17 of 52 Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Because of my multi health issues, this baby will be our last...If i happen to have a C section which i doubt and dont want unless it HAS to be done, then ill be getting my tubes tied, burned whatever....if not....my OB suggests this new thing called Assure (think thats what its called) so im thinking about that...he just wants to avoid putting me under if he can..

* ive not read any replies...
#18 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt2005
Why didn't you like the IUD, if you don't mind me asking. That was going to be my next to permenant approach. But i would love to hear you experience with it.
The IUD for me was horrible. I spotted/bled for the entire 11 months I had the thing in. My ins. would pay to have it put in, but not to have it removed. : I would've had it removed MUCH sooner had I been able to afford the $250 to have it taken out.

I know a girl who has to have surgery to have hers removed. In all their literature, there's no mention of it becoming imbedded in a uterine scar. She'd had a c/s with her first pg & found out she was pg not long ago (she'd since had other kids). She ended up having a m/c & went in to have it removed. The dr couldn't find it at all....not even with an u/s. She had to have an x-ray for them to find it!

IUD's are bad news!!!

Also, if you're interested, it doesn't disallow you to become pg. You still ovulate with an IUD....even with the Mirena (that's the one with hormones in it). It provides a hostile environment for a fertilized egg to try to implant into. Pregnancies happen, they just aren't given a chance because the uterine lining is so thin & irritated....it makes it nearly impossible for a successful pg.

My youngest brother was the product of an IUD not fully doing its job. What a nightmare pg that was for my mom! There are SO many things that can & do go wrong when you become pg with an IUD in place.

Shannon
#19 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 05:27 AM

I can use any form of bc with hormones because of my veins issues and chance of clotting. At this point, we'll probably just do nfp until we make the final decision about this being the last baby in our family. If it is, then dh will go in for his little procedure.

One big big warning about getting your tubes tied: a big side effect is major monthly af bleeding. So many of my friends have had their tubes tied only to wind up with very very heavy af flows. NO fun...especially if you have to go to the dr. and have them cauterize the bleeding.
#20 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 02:27 PM

I'm going to try a combo of NFP with temp reading and the hand-held microscope thingy that you can look at your saliva in. Can't remember the name of it.
#21 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 03:32 PM

We're going to be using Fertility Awareness Method as we did before this pregnancy since it worked very well for us. I'm also thinking about asking my midwife about getting a diapraghm fitted that we can use in conjunction with condoms during fertile period. All this will be used until we can get DH in for a vasectomy.
#22 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milk Bag
We'll be using LAM for the first 6 months and then evaluate things from there. LAM is extremely effective as long as you meet all of the criteria. All of the women I know who got their period (or got pregnant before 6 months) while supposed using LAM, did not meet all of the requirements - they are very stringent! If they are met, it is more effective than the birth control pill.

Overall, in order to rely on it the baby needs to be exclusively breastfed on demand (any pumping at all will negate this), you need to be co-sleeping, no pacifiers, no solids, and your period needs to have not returned. Some places say that you need to nap-nurse as well. Lots of AP moms will meet these requirements, but really very few in the general population do.
My son wasn't on solids, didn't use a pacifier, we were cosleeping, and I wasn't pumping when I got my period.

Also, we nap-nurse (we're doing this right now actually!) though I call it nurse-napping. I thought I invented that term!
#23 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
If you really don't want to get pregnant I wouldn't count on this alone (I think this method works better for women in developing countries). For women who have access to a lot of nutritious food I think the efficacy varies. There is a woman I met at a bf support group who never got her period but was pregnant again after her first child was 3 months old. I got my period back after 7 months (and my DS didn't eat solids til he was close to a year) and I got pregnant when he was 14 months old. I do have a friend with a child who is 20 mo who still hasn't gotten her period, so it's working for her.

I don't think it has anything to do with nutritious food, this lady probably started ovulating after 3 months and got pregnant before having her period. I got my period exactly 3 months after giving birth. Even though I was exclusively breastfeeding. So yes this is not guaranteed form of birth control.

We use condoms and natural fertility monitoring, or whatever that's called, when you follow your cycle. I know pretty much when i ovulate by my cervical mucous. I don't take any kinds of drugs so the pill is out I think they mess up my body too much. Plus I don't think being on the pill when breastfeeding is a good idea.
#24 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milk Bag

Well now you know 2 people who did meet all the requirements and still got their period. I co-slept, bf on demand, exclusively bf, no pacifiers, had her in a sling, never pumped, never left my baby with anyone, not even dh for the first 6 months, etc... and got my period 3 months to the day after having a homebirth....

So no, every woman is different and you can't rely on this method....since you ovulate a couple of weeks before your period arrives the first time, it is possible to get pregnant after 2.5 months even if you do LAM
#25 of 52 Old 07-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-mommy
I don't think it has anything to do with nutritious food,
I was just hypothesizing, but this explanation would help account for why this method works better in developing countries. Like nursing mamas, women who don't have sufficient body weight don't get periods.
#26 of 52 Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 AM

Hey maybe we can keep a lil group going with us September mamas who are going to use LAM/NFP after baby's birth. I was trying to use FAM when we got prego; I still really believe in the method, but I think I need some advise and support to get it right.

to everyone's success post partum with avoiding with LAM or NFP for as long as suits their family's needs
#27 of 52 Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM

FAM, in combination w/ condoms and most likely a diaphragm. (None of which are exactly convenient, but I hate messing w/my hormones and would rather make the commitment to staying in touch w/ my cycles.)
#28 of 52 Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM

I used FAM/NFP before pregnancy to avoid and then to get pregnant, so I plan to use the same thing afterward. I will (unfortunately) be going back to work full time at 3 mo pp, so I doubt that LAM would work very well for me.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#29 of 52 Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
NFP. It worked well for us. Plus we like the creativity of not being able to come inside me during the fertile period. Spices things up.

Is the thing about the pill allowing fertilization but not implantation true? I thought that was christian propaganda.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#30 of 52 Old 07-13-2005, 06:23 PM

That was interesting reading on the IUD. I have two close friends who've had median bad to good experiences with it. One found the implanting painful and bad cramping with the af. The other has no problems.

But here's my question: what evever happened to the diaphram? To me this seems like a no-hormone alternative to the condom. I know, it's not the most romantic thing but they always seemed like a possible option to me.

I was using the "timing" method on my first pregnancy and the second one, nothing. To be honest, our post-child life is an abstinence-fest, so that seems to work pretty well. Thats why I haven't researched it that much.

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on the diaphram thing, let me know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page