what to pack for c section birth for hospital stay?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-05-2005, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To all the pros..Do you have a good idea what to pack in your bag for the hospital for a c section? Thanks :
#2 of 5 Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 PM

Ive never had a c-section myself, but I would suggest a nursing pillow, a pillow or two of your own!! It will not be easy to get comfortable, so the pillows can be placed behind your back so that you can get comfy laying on your side.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#3 of 5 Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 PM

A cd player with good music. Nursing gown or something you can nurse in and not be topless because there are a lot of people coming in and out- adn not just nurses and docs, either. Also, we packed an ice chest of drinks and beer (seriously) - it was great for my husband to be able to relax. A good book and your la laeche breast feeding book. Another tip, get up and take a shower asap and walk a lot- we were able to leave the hospital 48 hours after the section, but I refused narcotic pain meds and took hourly walks to ge things going so they would let me leave. Last thing- if you can send your husband home to sleep the day or night before you go home. Otherwise you are so exhausted that neither of you can function. Good luck.
#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 PM

A post pardum belt for laying on your side to nurse.
Other than that I never packed anything special.
I did request TED hose for my legs to prevent the swelling that occurred with 1st c/s. I would suggest you do the same, nothing is worse than all that IV fluid pooling in your legs so that they are as big at the ankles as they are at the thighs.
Take it easy and move slowly. Don't try and do too much, you'll need more pain meds if you do (BTDT).
#5 of 5 Old 08-05-2005, 09:46 PM

Besides all the normal stuff I'd recommend some slipper type shoes. I didn't have swelling while pregnant but the drugs given caused lots of feet and hand swelling after she was born.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page