looking for a sling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2005, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We expect a nicely sized kiddo (over 8.5 lb), and I'm looking for a sling. I really, really want one with a pocket on the end. I don't see a pocket on the Maya Wraps, but I'm not quite in love withh their fabrics, anyway.

Anybody got any suggestions?

-Ziva, wife to Ezra : , SAHM to Elisha , aka 'Johnny Damon' and due 9/13 with another little person!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 AM

I love my Maya wrap for later (w/a bigger baby)...they have some solid colors and I think the newer ones come with pockets.

My favorite carrier for a newborn-2mos is the New native pouch.

This opinion doesn't seem to help with your question too much does it
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM

We picked up a zolowear sling for this baby. Haven't used one before so I can't tell you how it has worked out, but it does have a nice long tail, a zippered pocket, and comes in quite a few fabric choices.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 AM

The new Mayas have a pocket at the end of the "tail." I love my Maya!!! (ANd ITA with you about the fabrics ... I love so many of them it's difficult to choose!)

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 08-08-2005, 12:59 PM

The Maya Wrap does have a pocket on the end. I did not have mine when ds was little, but from what I have seen it does not work very well for when they are little. I actually liked a regular padded sling for in the begining, I wore it backwards so that ds's head would rest on the shoulder pad and then he didn't seem so lost in it. He also liked being in it straight up so that his feet would hang out the bottom, it was really easy to nurse his this way also. I also got a new native after a couple months and loved that, I think I will use it a lot in the begining this time also. I guess I was not much help either, good luck on your choice.

ETA: Ds was 10lb 5oz, so he wasn't a little guy either, but they still seem to get lost in there.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:47 PM

I liked my Maya wrap best for newborns. (it does have a pocket) It's just too hard to get a little baby situated in a sling w/ padding. My babes were 8lbs8oz and 9lbs4oz at birth, so they weren't all that little I guess. But until they get heavy and my shoulder needs the padding, I much prefer the Maya to my OTSBH.

This time, I doubt I'll use slings much. I've started making mei tais and I have a big long piece of fabric whose edges I serged that I use to carry ds2 in the Japanese obi carry. VERY VERY comfortable! No I just have to figure out how I'm going to wear a toddler and a little baby. Cuz ds2 is nowhere near ready to not be carried a lot!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 AM

I have a heart2heart sling and a mayawrap sling. I like both, the mayawrap because it is light and easy to pack, and the heart2heart because it's really well padded. Though hot in the summer.

I bought an Ergo carrier because I have heard only amazing things about it, but have yet to try it! I also wanted something dh could use since he can't figure out the slings....
Old 08-09-2005, 09:46 AM

I didn't use a sling with ds, but I decided I wanted to this time. I had a generic baby carrier wwith ds and it just didn't work like I wanted it to. I made myself a MAya-wrap, now I've never looked at one so I don't know how it is comparied to others, but I really like it. And i decided not to put a pocket on it untill after the baby was born, just want to make sure i get it in the right spot. I do hope it works, I kee threatening to take it to my cousins to test with her newborn, but I alwasy forget the darn thing!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 AM

There's about 20,000 sling makin mamas over in the babywearing threads. Come check us out, or even learn how to make your own - If you can sew a straight line, you can do it (even with a pocket!)
Old 08-09-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221
This time, I doubt I'll use slings much. I've started making mei tais and I have a big long piece of fabric whose edges I serged that I use to carry ds2 in the Japanese obi carry. VERY VERY comfortable! No I just have to figure out how I'm going to wear a toddler and a little baby. Cuz ds2 is nowhere near ready to not be carried a lot!
I've never used a MeiTai or obi to "double sling" but have used a Maya and a New Native, which works out very well. With the mei tai - you could put older child on your back and baby on your front using two (depending on the length of your straps and what tie you use). With slings, I just put the older child in hip carry or on my back and the baby along my other side or on my front.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
I've never used a MeiTai or obi to "double sling" but have used a Maya and a New Native, which works out very well. With the mei tai - you could put older child on your back and baby on your front using two (depending on the length of your straps and what tie you use). With slings, I just put the older child in hip carry or on my back and the baby along my other side or on my front.
Thanks! I doubt I'll go back to using slings at all now that I've discovered how much more comfortable the 2 shoulder carriers are. And I had a good backpack, that I always HATED cuz it was so uncomfortable. I also didn't like my sister's Snugli, but I really love how comfortable the obi and mei tai are! I love them so much, I've been telling EVERYONE about them! ROFL! I might actually start making them to sell at our local LLL.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:33 AM

Wendy,
Where did you get your mei tei carrier or if you sew how did you sew the mei tei? I am willing to try to sew it although my skills are a bit rusty
Ticia
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM

I'm not Wendy, but I thought I'd let you know that I got my mei tai at http://www.meitaibaby.com/ I've used it a couple of times with Gavin, but am thinking it will work better when he's a bit older. I have my kangaroo korner fleece pouch on almost all the time these days.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:09 AM

If you keep their little legs inside the carrier you can use a mei tai from day one and as they grow you can keep one leg in and one out till they get big enough to be comfortable with both legs out. You also can use a wrap, some people like stretchy with newborns and the hug-a-bub has a pocket on the front which might be useful for a diaper as well. I could never get use to a ring sling, but I did not try it very, very hard. But our wraps, mei tais and pouches work great. HTH, Aniko

If you only want a ring sling I think you might want to check sleepingbaby.net. She has a lot of fabric, you can have a pocket sewn on the end of the sling or have a snap on bag and some other possibilities and she does a really good job and the prices are great compare to some others.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:33 PM

For a ring sling I can't say enough wonderful things about http://www.sleepingbaby.net slings. The prices, service and product are phenomenal.

For a pouch I love mine from Karen at eesti slings. There are so many nights when baby gets walked to sleep in it!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eesti_slings

User Tag List