Is anyone else having a problem NOT sleeping on their back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-09-2005, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we're not supposed to be sleeping on our backs for sure, but I inevitably wake up, whether it's in the middle of the night or in the morning, asleep on my back. I'm also completely uncomfortable sleeping on my left side, which is supposed to be the ideal side, right? If I lay on my left side, I can hardly breathe. I almost always go to sleep on my right, and then wake up on my back. It's starting to freak me out, I feel like I'm going to cause some kind of harm to this babe

Melissa

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 08-09-2005, 10:27 PM

ME!! I have back problems, so it is the most comfy and I seem to always wake up on my back. Probably more common than problems to your babe is that it might make your little one posterior. Three of my four have been posterior and I've been trying to do everything possible this time to avoid it. Back labor isn't my friend! :
#3 of 18 Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 PM

As long as it feels comfortable for you, it's okay to sleep on your back. They had signs about this in the exam rooms at my last midwife practice because apparently so many people were torturing themselves and not getting good sleep trying to avoid sleeping on their backs when this is what their bodies wanted to do.

I personally can't sleep on my back because I get short of breath and light-headed. But if it felt good to me I would go ahead and do it.

To avoid a posterior babe you can do prenatal yoga and get prenatal massages. My midwife recommends that her clients invest in a massage a week the last month of pregnancy. She believes this helps with getting the baby in a good position and helping the mama let go of stress so she's in a good place for the birth.

Amanda/DoulaMommy shared this site in a recent thread and it has some more ideas if you are concerned about a posterior baby:
www.spinningbabies.com
#4 of 18 Old 08-09-2005, 11:43 PM

I end up on my back too. I have found that I like to sleep almost sitting up, proped with lot's of pillows and the a body pillow folded in half under my knees! It's the only thing that doesn't seem to hurt. if I sleep on my side I wake up with sore hips and a crooked back. My left is alos the most uncomfortable! I wish I could get one of those pregnancy massage tables for my bed, that would be the most comfortable I think! I can't wait to sleep on my stomach again!
#5 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 12:09 AM

I don't usually end up on my back...I end up on my BELLY!!! How I can sleep on this HUGE pregnant belly is beyond me, but apparantely I can!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#6 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 AM

I've been ending up on my back as well. It's so frustrating, as my babe is stubbornly posterior, and I wake up w/ numb arms and such. I cannot snuggle down in bed on the left side either. I think though, that the left being optimal has something to do w/ blood pressure, and I have low BP, so I don't freak about the right side. My happy medium is to always aim for lots of rest on the right side - I'm figuring that's way better than back (obviously, if that is cutting off the circulation to my arms and hands) and better than being uncomfy all night trying to stay on the left.
#7 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 09:29 AM

I've rolled on to my back, and I seem to wake quickly. I too can't breath when I'm am on my back. I used to be able to get comfortable in a reclining position, but no longer! If I want to get comfortable on the sofa,I have to lay down. I too find that I am most comfortable on my right side. It was the same with ds. From the time I couldn't comfortably stay on my belly, or comfortably (mentally) stay on my back (betwen 14 and 16 weeks) I did my best to sleep ONLY on my left side....this lasted until about 25 weeks!

I am looking forward to not waking up to roll over, and being able to sleep on my tummy again! I could sleep on my belly until about 31 weeks with ds. At 14 wks this time it was uncomfortable. I could also feel her moving around against the bed, which if I wasn't uncomfortable, kept me awake.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#8 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 AM

I always end up on my back!
Only one time during this pregnancy did I wake up feeling like it was affecting my circulation, so I figure my body will let me know if/when it's not okay. I still try to turn to the left, but my back and right side have always been more comfortable for me.
#9 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 PM

I've found that if I shove a pillow at my back when I'm lying on my side I don't tend to get completly on my back. Just enough that my hips don't ache so much anymore. And yes, my baby is posterior too
#10 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 03:58 PM

I always end up on my back, and YES my baby is posterior too...

**spinning vibes***
#11 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM

Hi - I'm pretty new to this site - a lot of great info though - glad to be here.

I end up on my back too - I wonder if my baby is posterior - is that the same as sunny side up? How do you ladies know your baby is posterior - my midwife hasn't given me an internal yet - is that when you find out?
#12 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septembermommie
Hi - I'm pretty new to this site - a lot of great info though - glad to be here.

I end up on my back too - I wonder if my baby is posterior - is that the same as sunny side up? How do you ladies know your baby is posterior - my midwife hasn't given me an internal yet - is that when you find out?
Yes, it's the same as sunnyside up--the baby's back is against your back. Lots of times the midwife can tell the baby's position pretty well by feeling your belly.
#13 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's the same as sunnyside up--the baby's back is against your back. Lots of times the midwife can tell the baby's position pretty well by feeling your belly.
Thanks ZM...the last time I was at an appointment all the midwife said was she could tell the baby was face-down (at the time)...had an u/s last week (Toxemia scare) - the sonographer didn't say anything about baby being posterior - she probably would have been able to tell - right?
#14 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Yeah, feel your belly and see if you can feel something hard all the way down...it's supposed to be the back or side. If you can feel legs and feet and little body parts, then it's back is most likely towards your back meaning posterior (sunny side up).
#15 of 18 Old 08-10-2005, 06:37 PM

W/ DD, I always wanted to sleep on my back. It was the most comfortable position. That was odd b/c I'd always been a side sleeper before.

W/ this baby, I was often more comfortable sleeping on my back (for short stretches) up until the last few weeks. Now, my belly feels too heavy to sleep on my back. I don't get breathing trouble, but the baby feels like a big weight.
#16 of 18 Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I feel much better (except for the posterior baby part :LOL ). I remember I had this same problem when I was PG with Bella, but it really didn't worry me then, I just kind of pooh-poohed it. I guess this time I know how much can be at stake! But you've all reassured me quite a bit.

I've been meaning to check out spinningbabies.com for awhile, I guess now would be a good time!

Melissa

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#17 of 18 Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I sleep on my back sometimes - it is actually comfortable, which it never was with ds1. Who knows. My placenta has been in the front of my uterus both times, which tends to make the baby be posterior, but it was not a problem at all in labor. Lots of babies turn anterior just before or during labor and there is no problem.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#18 of 18 Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 PM

I was sure my baby was posterior, b/c I was feeling the feet so much (though to the sides of my uterus). I was thrilled to find out today at the u/s that he's anterior and beginning to decend into the pelvis!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page