Has everyone washed their dipes and newborn stuff yet, or installed the car seat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The laundry is one of those things I want to get done now while I have some time (I'm having a VERY slow work week, and I work from home) and while I have some energy left. Do you think they'll get too dusty and gross in the interim? The dipes live in natural baskets inside an armoire, and the baby clothes will be inside the drawers. Think it's safe to wash them now and just tuck them away for 5-6 weeks?

Also, I was thinking about putting in the car seat next week so I can take it on Wednesday for the CPS tech check at the local state police station. Think it's too early? I'd also like my DD to get accustomed to the seat being in next to hers, but I can't decide if it seems silly to crowd up my car at this point.

Can you tell I'm trying to take advantage of having no work to do this week? :LOL

TIA,

Melissa

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#2 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 09:58 PM

I don't think it's early at all. I'm not sure about the diapers because I'm not using cloth, but I've washed all of his clothes now and assume they will be fine for a few weeks.

I've had the carseat installed since like 28 weeks. :LOL I took it to a "free safety clinic" thingy they held around that time and just left it in. Course it looks like we're getting a new car, so I'll obviously have to install it myself next time.
#3 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 10:11 PM

I've washed the dipes and clothes. I may wash them once again, in a few weeks, if I get bored or something.
#4 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 10:47 PM

I have washed the clothes, but not the diapers. The clothes are stored away right now in big plastic bins.

My newborn diapers are new, so they need to be washed 5x to get the natural oils out so they get nice and absorbant, so I have been dragging my feet about washing them. Once I do I think I will put them on the changing table and cover them with dishtowels.

Have not installed the car seat--don't have it yet! But if I had it I think it would be fine to get it installed now.

I think it's nice to get things like this taken care of so the weeks before the birth can be less stressful. Though it is nice to have a non-essential project to work on before the birth to keep you busy imo. Mine is knitting soakers, which I am really enjoying!
#5 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 PM

I have baby clothes washed and will be putting them in her dresser sometime this week. As for my dipes, I have all the ones that I am going to be able to use right away washed. I will need to wash the pre-folds my mom made a few more times, but that is no biggie. I will have to wash up my fabric, flannel, and PUL so that I can start making a few dipes to make my fluff stash a bit bigger. I hope to get some of that done before baby comes. Keep your fingers crossed. :LOL

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#6 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 PM

I just washed everything this past weekend, hung it out to dry and fluffed it in the dryer so it's nice and soft! I don't have a dresser yet so it's all livinv in our big cradle or hanging in the closet. I may wash the dipes again if I have time, but i'm not sure I will. I feel like every weekend from here on out is busy and I think I'm going to be a few weeks early! I was ten days early with ds and he was almost 9lbs! I don't think she's as big, but I have a feeling she's more than ready to show her little face.
#7 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 11:44 PM

Everything's been washed but I won't bother with the car seat until after the baby comes. Since we're having the baby at home I don't need to worry about it. And if for some reason we need to transport him anywhere it's really simple to install, so I'm not sweating it at all.

Shannon
#8 of 41 Old 08-09-2005, 11:55 PM

I've been wanting to wash baby's stuff, but haven't been able to because my hips are bothering me and I don't feel like dragging the laundry up and down the stairs!

We can't put the baby's carseat in the car - because we don't have a vehicle that will fit four carseats! I'm going to start panicing about this soon - I really am! I'm doing my best not to, though!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#9 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 12:03 AM

must be that time. dh and dd were away this weekend and i spent hours stripping my NB diapers. man were they soapy. i have to pack them away since we are moving so i wanted to do it now as i am not sure i will have time after i move. i hope they stay clean and fresh in the box. if i have time i will wash them again.

i have all the clothes ready to go but i need to wash em all again. not sure when i will get around to doing that as i dont have any energy to do my every day laundry never mind any extra.

i just reminded dh that he needs to get the carseat installed as i asked him to do it by 36 weeks. i just want to be prepared and i would like it checked by the car seat clinic as now we will have two of them in the back of the honda.
#10 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 AM

Yep, its all done and ready.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#11 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:03 AM

Dipes done. Still haven't got the car seat down to wash. Why do I keep forgetting that? Kinda important!

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#12 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:06 AM

am i the only one who is answering no, no and no? nothing is done! i just finally this evening went through the stacks of girlie clothes i've been buying (mostly at thrift stores and garage sales) to pull all the 0-3 month ones to get started. i also finally just *found* most of ds's infant diaper stash. no washing yet, but i might get started tomorrow.

we just picked up our carseat from sil this past weekend (whose 2nd ds is 11 months younger than our ds and who gets numerous hand-me-downs and borrowings from us), and it too needs a washing and dusting. dunno where she'd been storing it, but yuck. i figure so long as things are at least started (part of dipe stash readied and carseat installed) by 36-37 weeks i'm in good shape. assuming this one is pretty close to on-time like ds was (2 days before his official duedate). i'm not stressed about it at all. i'm more worried about things like where the heck to put the clothes once they're all washed and ready to go (i bought a used dresser that i want to repaint but am very torn about whether to paint it or just clean up and use as-is for right now).

::: lori
#13 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Laundry is one bit of house work that I don't mind doing. I have already found ds's old baby clothes and washed them with the few new things my mom has bought for him. They are in the dresser. As far as diapers go, I'm either on wash three or wash four with the unbleached pfs. I washed the covers, pocket diapers, inserts, and wipes together in one load. Once is enough for those, right? I may through the pockets in another time. The car seat is still in the attic. I'll need to have dh bring it down so I can clean it up. I don't see anything wrong with installing it now. I doubt I'll get it done anytime soon, though. (There are a million other things that I could be doing around the house, but I've basically stuck to laundry and ignored everything else.)

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#14 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 AM

What dipes? What car seat?

Man, am I behind.... : Here's hoping some of those neccessities come our way at the shower this weekend!
#15 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 PM

I have washed the clothes, they've been washed for about 2 weeks now. I didn't have the dresser ready so I just put them in uncented trash bags and sinched the up tight! I'm hopeful that this weekend I'll be able to put them away. If need be, I'll just run them all through the dryer again to get big wrinkles out.

I'm not using cloth diaps either couldn't afford the upfront cost. But I did finally buy my first pack of diapers!

As for the carseat....we have it....and maybe I'll get the base installed before she's born. But I don't really plan on needing it unti AFTER she's born since I don't forsee a hospital transport. But if we do have the hosp. transport, then dh will have to come home anyway, and he can install it then.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#16 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:02 PM

Everything's washed and put away, but the car seat's not installed yet. I should get on that...I probably should pack the hospital bags packed too since I'm 37w1d.... :LOL

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#17 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:06 PM

LOL Ally, I think I packed my bags with ds the first time at 35 wks, then re-packed them the at 36 +6 when I had a friend over. We were BORED LOL

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#18 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM

LOL...the first time around, I ended up being induced at 39w5d. I packed my bags 5 minutes AFTER I was supposed to leave for the hospital. :LOL But we had a scare last night (baby's heart rate was 210 at my prenatal appointment), so I think that may just kick my butt enough to get the carseat installed... The OB and hospital are over an hour away and we were sitting there hooked up to the monitors freaking out because we didn't have a carseat installed. LOL! And I'm already 2 cm (which I know doesn't mean much...but the first time around, I was fingertip until my induction). So, I probably *should* get something done. Who knows...the first time around, packing the bags actually started contractions. :LOL

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#19 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:41 PM

LOL my dh waited until I was sitting in the car waiting on him to pack his bag! I got tired of standing at the door with the kittens in my hands and went and got in the car. I was also induced, but I had already started contracting, I was like...LETS GO MARINE! lol

#20 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:43 PM

I washed the clothes a long time ago, I figured they are in the dresser and they will stay clean. Diapers are also washed, I don't mind putting a slightly dusty diaper on the babies if they are not born for awhile. I did also get 1 package of disposable newborn dipes to use. I got the carseats installed last weekend, they barely fit in dh's car, I can not wait until we get a new car (have to get my car sold 1st). In those areas I am very ready, in other areas I am way behind. My house is a disaster (messy, not dirty since my friends came and helped me clean on Mon) and my birth stuff is not all together. I really wanted to clean the carpets before the babies are born, but I don't know that it will happen. I have been really wanting to have things done early this time since I am having twins and you just never know when they will show up! I am not really expecting to have them very early, but I think 38 weeks is considered full term for twins. That's in 2 weeks!
#21 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 01:50 PM

Sarah, according to my HB MW "term is term" and that means twins are term when my singleton is term, 37 weeks!

#22 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMommy
Sarah, according to my HB MW "term is term" and that means twins are term when my singleton is term, 37 weeks!

I agree that term is term, but most docs seem to think 38 weeks is like being 40 weeks with a single baby. We are planning a hb and I have also been seeing a doc who I know is going to start pressuring me to get induced if I make it to 38 weeks (which I think I will). He said that their placentas start to deteriorate sooner, but I think that is more about the mothers health than the fact that it is twins. A lot of twin moms just don't eat much at the end and don't gain weight anymore because they just don't feel like eating. I, however, am not like that and gained 8 lb in the last 2 weeks and am eating just fine. Ds had a very healthy placenta at 42 weeks so I am not worried about it. I think it is just a way for them to get you to do things on their schedule, not your own. My doc does know that I am planning a hb and he knows that I will say no to an induction just because I am 38 weeks.
#23 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 03:02 PM

I'm glad the docs in your area think 38 weeks. Around here they seem to think 35 or 36 is just perfect for twins, and will even induce!

#24 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 03:13 PM

Carseast??? Still in the box in the back of the truck. : Dipes?? haven't finished paying for them yet : But the clothes are all washed I still need to get the bassinet out of storage and get it all cleaned up. Oi I guess I'm getting a bit nervous.
#25 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM

I'm in the "you *have* all that stuff already?" group. I'm 5 weeks shy of my due date, and just now beginning to think about most of it.

I *do* have a new dresser item for the baby at least, though. It's one of those plastic deals with see-through drawers. I put the baby clothes my SIL sent me in it, and the few diapers I've already bought.

On another note, I went to the Babies R Us today, and holy crap do they have a lot of useless/hideously expensive stuff! I'm not surprised, really, but still...

Julia
#26 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 06:36 PM

We got the nursery furniture last weekend, so I washed all the 0-3 month clothes so I'd have something to put in the dresser.

Haven't started on the dipes yet--I'm waiting to get the rest of my stash before I do them. As for the car seat, MIL is coming to visit this weekend and she's going to buy it for us! So I'm sure we'll get that installed ASAP. I can't wait!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#27 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 PM

I'm the super rigid organised type, so my baby clothes (from 5 yrs ago, only the special stuff I could not part with and did not give away, all PINK btw :LOL )are all washed and put in baby's dresser. Diapers are all new, but I did wash them. I have 3 slings, and I have knitted a bunch of stuff too. We got the car seat (new, gave the old one away), about 5 weeks ago. DH tried it out, our car has the 'latch system' so it was a piece of cake!, it's in my dining room waiting for the day. Got the Britax Roundabout. I will not be getting a bucket b/c I do not like to use those, I don't mind taking the baby out even when asleep and slipping it into the sling. I have my birthing center bag all packed, even got a nice nursing outfit from Motherwear to come home in, it's a 20 minute car ride. I did buy some new organic cotton outfits for the baby to come home in and I even got 2 hats, one pink and one blue, they were out to the natural color.

I'm ready, just sitting around knitting for my pregnant friends at this point. Two other friends are due around the same time and they know what they are having, so makes my color choice real easy.
#28 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 PM

I got a bunch of newborn and 3-6 month clothes from a friend who had a boy a few months ago. I just have to wash them (they're clean already, but washing the clothes makes me feel good *shrug*).

I have to get the carseat out of the storage shed and make sure it's clean. I doubt we'll install it until the last minute.

I've got the cosleeper. I do need to wash the sheet and get a couple of extra sheets too though. I also need some waterproof pads to put in the cosleeper and under my breasts in bed.

I'm still waiting for my infant CPFs. I can't wait for them to get here so I can wash them and fold them up. I bought a few NB covers and some small fitted dipes on ebay and have to wash them too.

I like having a list of things to do before the baby gets here. Keeps me busy. LOL.
#29 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirush
I'm in the "you *have* all that stuff already?" group. I'm 5 weeks shy of my due date, and just now beginning to think about most of it.

I *do* have a new dresser item for the baby at least, though. It's one of those plastic deals with see-through drawers. I put the baby clothes my SIL sent me in it, and the few diapers I've already bought.

On another note, I went to the Babies R Us today, and holy crap do they have a lot of useless/hideously expensive stuff! I'm not surprised, really, but still...

Julia
I use those dressers for both of my kids. They are perfect, small enough but fit all their clothes. Plus, I don't care if they are ruff on them and scratch them, etc. We will get them real furniture when they are older.
#30 of 41 Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 PM

All of the 0-3 month clothes are washed and ready to go, same with the flannel blankets and bassinet sheets. The slings are all washed and hung in our closet. The carseat is ready to be installed. The small and newborn soakers have all been knit and just need some lanolin. The diapers all need one more wash. I bought myself two mens tanks with the big armholes for nursing, plus one ladies support cami that I thought would work out great for nursing. I want to buy one more. Oh, and I washed all my breast pads too.

So, I guess there isn't too much more to do to prepare for baby...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page