anyone else swollen or have vericose veins..."down there"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: super embarressing question mommas!!
but im so swollen and enlarged 'down there' it hurts so much! i am wondering if i got vericose veins or something there, but i havent developed them anywhere else on my body so it seems strange. sis this normal? am i an oddball? the thought or trying to push a baby through sucha sore and swollen area scares me to death!!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Poking my nose in from August - but yes, I have a varicose vein in my pubic region. From my perspective, it is on the left of my vagina, sort of making a line from my leg to the bottom of my labia.

This vein showed up during ds's pregnancy and I was too embarrassed to mention it to anyone. Pushing was no problem. After the birth it was a little swollen/sore for a couple of days, but so was the rest of the area. With this pregnancy it's sore off and on and it comes in handy as a barometer of whether or not I've done too much that day (kind of like swelling in my ankles). I anticipate the same sort of general soreness after the birth, but honestly, sitting on a cold compress for the first day or two took care of all the soreness.

Oh - I was worried about the entire area being swollen as well, so I had dh check it out for me - poor guy I'm taking all the sexy out of our relationship w/requests like this - and he said that it looked the same as it always does. Don't know if that eases your mind, but it worked for me.

Good luck w/your birthing!
#3 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 PM

Yup. Though not too bad. I have one hemmeriod right on my perineum. It hurts and itches so badly! My whole vulva is definately swollen, too. I have found that witch hazel helps me to get some relief.
#4 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I don't have a vein, though they are quite common. If it really is bothering you then you have spent too much time on your feet.

I am swollen, though, and a piece of my vagina pokes out between my labia. It also does this if I have an infection and it did it after the birth of my first child. But then it went away for a long while. I think it is all the extra blood/engorgement due to pregnancy.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#5 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

wow, im not the only one! thank goodness!! its funny too b/c i dont get swollen anywhere else on my body. my body is strange.i was actually bleeding lats night b/c it was so sore i accidentally scratched it and it bled like crazy.i noticed when i woke up this moring i wasnt that swollen though so you guys are right on track about it getting worse from being on my feet too much. ill have to make myself take it easier.
so witch hazel and cold compresses seem to be the best ways to ease the discomfort? silly question.. where do you get witch hazel from? is it at any old store? thanks so much mommas! keep the help coming please! this is so frustrating.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#6 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Drugstores should have it in the first aid aisle and it looks like a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#7 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
where do you get witch hazel from? is it at any old store?
It's the active ingredient in Tucks pads- which they sell at any grocery store. So you can either do that or you can buy actual witch hazel at the drug store and use it on cotton balls or on a pad.
#8 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 01:25 PM

I have heard of women soaking pads in witch hazel and then freezing them to help get some relief for that area both before and after birth. So maybe that would work for you as well. Hope you get some relief soon.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#9 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiemom
I have heard of women soaking pads in witch hazel and then freezing them to help get some relief for that area both before and after birth. So maybe that would work for you as well. Hope you get some relief soon.
Or you can put them in the fridge. Personally the freezer is a bit too cold for me. :LOL But yes, this feels AWESOME.
#10 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Oh, yep...sucks majorly, too!! I have a vascular disease so I have those nasty veins from my pelvic region down to my toes. They are def. worse this time with it being pregnancy #5. It has never changed labor or pushing...so don't worry about that part! It is, however, bad enough that I seriously doubt I can make my body do this one more time.
#11 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 06:14 PM

I'd never heard of them, but i got a nasty blackinsh purple spot that really hurt on the vlva by my panty line. I made poor dh look and he said it looked like a blood blister. My midwife said it sounded like varicose vein. I got this in the middle of vbs and it was no fun, but went away after abut five days.
#12 of 12 Old 08-26-2005, 11:47 PM

I'm extremely swollen, but I don't have any varicose veins anywhere. I'm very lucky with that. I am covered in stretch marks from boobs to knees, though and I have terrible hemmroids (sp?), so I didn't get off completely scot free. LOL

I was never this swollen before that I can remember, but my midwife did the one and only vag exam today (until I'm labor of course.) and told me the swelling was normal, but MAN! it sure doesn't feel normal!

User Tag List