Something to wear - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for something to pack in my bag for the hospital that's cute, comfortable, and easy to nurse in. I love the majamas sleepy dress and they have it at babystyle, but it's $56. I kind of wanted something a little cheaper. I don't mind spending a little money, but I'd like to be able to afford more than just one thing. Maybe a dress and robe. And some pants and a tank. That would cover a couple of days and I wouldn't have to wear that hospital gown the whole time!

Anyone have any good suggestions for where to find comfy nursing clothes for postpartum?
#2 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 01:27 PM

I just went through trying to find something. I went to target and got a maternity night gown, it's spaghetti strapped and bigger on top so I figure it'll be good for nursing too. They also had comfortable plain robes on sale for $16. As far as pants go I decided on an old pair of dance/yoga capri style pants. I didn't want to get something new and somehow ruin it with satins and such. I plan to spend most of my time in the tub or shower so I figure a sports bra and hospital gown will be good for that. There will most certainly be too many people around for me to be comfortable naked!

HTH! I don't have any nursing tops yet, with ds I just wore button up shirts alot and with winter on the way that's probably what I'll do this time too. Although I do want to get one of those nursing tank tops, they didn't have those before and they look great!
#3 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was thinking of trying Target. The maternity section at mine is teeny, but I may be able to find a gown in the regular sleepwear section and just get it a size bigger or something.

I have some yoga pants I was planning on bringing, and I'll also look for a robe there. I think I'll get mostly black, since I don't want to worry about stains either, and I feel comfortable in black.

Oh, and slippers...I need cushy slippers for the hospital! Maybe DH will take me shopping today or tomorrow.
#4 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 02:08 PM

I got some pj's at Target that are shorts and a tank top. I wanted something to wear at home for when people came over that was comfy. They are not for nursing, but will work fine. I would take slippers or slipper socks if you are going to the hospital also, the floors are probably freezing!
#5 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 02:27 PM

Aaaah! Slippers!!!! I completely forgot! I really have to get going on packing this bag for the hospital, I'm not sure what's stopping me. I've decided I'm just bringing my regular old jammies (assorted flannel PJ pants and t-shirts) with me and will either use them or wear a hospital gown. My post-partum (though maybe a couple of months post-partum!) treat to myself is going to be fresh new jammies and all new undies. Not fancy ones, but soft, comfy ones that fit right . So I'm not worried about wrecking anything in the hospital or afterward--in fact, I'm kind of hoping I do :LOL

As for nursing wear, I've always been most comfortable nursing in regular shirts or tanks and button downs.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#6 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 02:42 PM

I got THE NICEST nursing gown at Target. It was by the nursing bras. Only $17. I have that, and then I have one that I got with some store credit at JCPenny (hate that store) and it was like $38... and guess which one I like better?? The cheap one from Target! It's so soft!
#7 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 04:03 PM

With ds, I just wore regular tanks and pj bottoms. I've always been able to get blood to wash out, so I didn't worry about stains. And I just pulled up (Or off) my top for nursing.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#8 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 06:43 PM

Michelle ~ I think I was looking at that nursing nightgown. I got a bra there that is really comfy, I've only tried it on for a few hours, but it was nice! Maybe I'll go back and get the gown too, I've already spent too much though! I have to keep reminding myself that i won't be working after the baby is born and should be saving not spending!
#9 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell
I got THE NICEST nursing gown at Target. It was by the nursing bras. Only $17. I have that, and then I have one that I got with some store credit at JCPenny (hate that store) and it was like $38... and guess which one I like better?? The cheap one from Target! It's so soft!
I bought that one too. I like it because it is dark blue colored and very soft - not the prettiest thing - but it will work very well in the hospital.

I am also bringing a pair of yoga pants and a big nursing tee that I had back when dd was a newborn. It will be perfect until I start to lose some of that postpartem belly. lol

Oh, and I also bought some regular cami tanks at Walmart that have the built in shelf bra. Those should be great for nursing as I can just pull my breast out the top of the neck to nurse. No fiddling with clips or anything like that. I probably won't bring those to the hospital though.
#10 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 07:19 PM

Shop Consignment! You will be amazed at how much less things cost after some gentle use. Great for new baby as well
#11 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I would not bring any tight pants (like yoga pants) b/c the pads you use for the bleeding are so big they would surely show through. Just a thought.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#12 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM

Aw man...spill the beans! Is there a link to this Target nursing gown?

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#13 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 10:16 PM

I found nursing went best with DS in the beginning if I wore no shirt at all. I am also just generally a fan of lots o' skin-to-skin contact between mama and baby during the newborn period. Leaking won't be a big issue while you are still in the hospital because your milk won't be in yet (at home I used prefolds against my chest). Though I didn't wear the hospital gown for the birth, I did wear the hospital gown afterwards. The nice thing about doing this is then you don't get pp blood on your own clothes.

My way of doing it (no shirt) might not be the best if you are having tons of visitors, but I am not into having tons of visitors right after the baby is born.
#14 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae
Aw man...spill the beans! Is there a link to this Target nursing gown?
Well, here's a link, but there is no picture. :LOL

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000AVIZ3S

It's kinda boring. It's a darkish blue with pink trim. And slots for boobs, obviously.

Zeldasmom, I've heard going shirtless in the beginning works really well for alot of women. I plan to do that when we don't have any company.
#15 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 10:42 PM

LOL...I don't think I wore a shirt in the house for the first 3 months after I had Bran. They were just too much of a pain in the patootie when you have the one baby who has to nurse 45 minutes every hour! :LOL

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#16 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea
I would not bring any tight pants (like yoga pants) b/c the pads you use for the bleeding are so big they would surely show through. Just a thought.
The pants I have aren't tight at all. I wouldn't wear the tight ones, my hips and butt are way to big and always have been!!
#17 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trijosie-mama
The pants I have aren't tight at all. I wouldn't wear the tight ones, my hips and butt are way to big and always have been!!
Yeah, mine are more like snug around the lower waist and just flow straight down from there. I have some tighter ones, but don't think I'd be brave enough to wear them right away!

Maybe it's a first time mom thing, but I don't feel comfortable going completely shirtless. Besides, I'll probably have quite a few visitors and don't want to get stressed out about having to throw clothes on every few minutes.
#18 of 18 Old 09-03-2005, 11:34 PM

I know I packed an oversized t-shirt which has nursing slits in it. I also tossed in a couple of nursing bras, a pair of button-down pjs, and some ancient soft maternity pants. My method for early nursing last time was to get as good a view as possible of what the kid and I were doing, but that was mostly because whatever the kid was doing, it wasn't working! (Oy, that was a bad three weeks, even with a live in lactation consultant - thank goodness for my mom.) I think I'll want a good view this time, too, which means button down shirts - and the nursing top for when visitors come.

-Ziva, wife to the Ezra-man : , SAHM to the irrepressible Elisha-boy , who just finished his sixth and last surgery! Getting ready for baby, due officially 9/13/05, but mama's 2 cm and lost the mucus plug, and more than ready to end two months of aggressive B-Hs....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page