Weekly Thread: Sept 12-18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Monday everyone!

I totally overdid it yesterday! We were at the park for 9.5 hours!!! My kids played in the water for much of that and had a great time. It was difficult to get them to leave! There was a car show that day in the town we were in - they shut down the roads in downtown to hold the car show (there is a secondary road that runs almost parallel to the main street). Dh and the kids wanted to stop and see the cars on the way home, so we did. I had contraction after contraction while trying to keep up with dh and the kids - finally sent them ahead to get the car and pick me up while I walked slowly. Dh put the kids to bed when we got home and I ran to the grocery store. I ended up not being able to sit/lay comfortably downstairs and went to bed at around 9:30. I can barely walk this morning - my hips and back are killing me. I think we'll have a quiet day at home - or at least I will! Maybe I'll send dh and the kids out to the park or something.

So many new babies!

I can't believe I'm due on FRIDAY! I'm wondering how late this babe is going to decide to be.... I'm just about convinced that I'm not having this baby before next week.

Lilli - Good for you for making the right decision for you and not attempting something that isn't working for you. Have a great massage today and I'll be sending *~*~ELVs~*~*~ your way when you need them!

Congratulations (again) Amanda!!! Can't wait to hear your birth story!

Time to get some breakfast - for a change I'm STARVING this morning - probably because I went to bed so early last night and didn't eat at 11 like I usually do!

Old 09-12-2005, 09:30 AM

this week is busy for me. tomorrow i have my WIC appt, last one before birth im sure then wednesday i go to my 1st breastfeedin support group meeting (woo hoo!!! cant wait) and also that night i attend the 1st of 5 baby care classes. i doubt ill make it to all of them since gthey are once a week and im due the 24th.... but thats ok, as long as i get some knowledge then thursday is my dr's appt...phew. thats busy for me.
my mom just bought kaulini a dresser (b/c we needed one badly) and we spent all day saturday putting it together. it looks nice in her room.
lets see,we have our hospital bag together and its in the car now and tonight we are installing the car seat.trying to be as prepared as possible!!
on another note.. our poor kitty isnt feeling well and has diarreah so i have to take care of her. poor thing. anyways thats my update!! time ot go tend to the sick!
<3,
nicole

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 09-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Good morning everyone! Yes i'm still here and yes i'm still pregnant! I suppose this isn't the place I need to say that but I'm getting so used to it being my automatic hello, I might say it by accident after shes born!

My baby shower went well, I don't really like those sort of things, but luckily I was able to just sit in a big comfy chair and eat some tasty finger foods. There were a lot of gifts, I don't like opening gifts in front of people, I have to act as if everything is wonderful, when some of the stuff is terrible. I guess I'm picky I don't like clothes with stuff written all over it or with big logos, but most of what I got was great! I even had a cousin who tried to buy me cloth diapers, and a very cute tie dyed onsie. Thankfully no sposies or bottles, when I had ds a lot of people bought me bottles, but no breast pump, this time I got the pump and a friend donated a bunch of matching bottles!

I have had almost no belly activity since saturday afternoon. It's kind of discouraging. I feel pretty good, actually today I don't feel 9 months pregnant at all. I have a lot of energy, my heartburn has gone away and i've been able to have a cup of coffee, I even feel like I might poop today! I washed all the baby clothes last night and put most of the gifts upstairs. Today was garbage day so i wanted to make sure and get all the wrappings and boxes thrown out right away.

It is nice to see all the new babies around here!! We're all keeping so busy! not a bad thing, it helps the time got by! I have decided not to return to work next week, baby or no. I don't want to work once I'm past 40wks, if I make it that long I'll have to get some projects for myself around the house!! For now I'm back to work, hope everyone has a good day!!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:48 PM

nak

Ok, I blind! I totally didn't see this before I started a weekly thread too! :LOL I swear it is attack of the preggo brain! Or is it more the nursing brain at this point? *shrug* Anyway, hope evwryone had a good weekend. I will check back later.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:02 PM

See what happens when I don't read all the posts first? LOL!

Erin, I felt the same way about my baby shower. Just uncomfortable. I don't like that kinda stuff!

Goldie, I hope it was just a fluke and Adam isn't sick! Maybe something just sat in his tummy weird and needed out?

I'm just popping my head in before I get ready to go to my midwife appt today. I don't really know what to expect today! I'm sure more of the same... letting nature take it's course. I might bring up a membrane strip. I'm thinking that might be a good place to start. My body has been really gearing up... my contractions were pretty intense the past few days, and we had sex twice over the weekend. Scary thing is, my next appt is when I'll have to start the NST's if he's not here yet! I do NOT want to have to do those. Since the birth center isn't covered under our insurance, it makes more sense for me to have them done under my 'guy who runs my labs' OB, so that means I'll likely have to go have them done in the hospital. BOO! I'm trying not to think too far ahead since I haven't gone to my appt yet, but I'm mentally preparing myself to have to talk about that. Blah.

I can't believe I'm sitting here at 40w3d! I swear I didn't think I'd make it to 36, let alone go past 40!

I'll post later on once I know more from my appt.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Happy Monday!

I'll tell you, I was relieved to sign on this morning and see lots of good news.

Amanda, I hear you about overdoing it...when people ask when I'm due and I say "In 6 days"...they're like : "What are you doing here?" or "Go home and take it easy!"...but I figure the busier we are, the quicker time will fly...right???

trijosie...I hope everything "comes out" o.k. :LOL The strange things that pregnant women talk about...

Michelle, I'm glad to see you're still hanging in there. I'm anxious to hear how your mw appt went.

Let's see...what's new with me? Well, my mw is officially on vacation...yikes! She left on Saturday and will be back on Sunday, so if me and baby can just hold out until then, I'd love to have her there when I go into labor. Or else I'll probably wind up with the back up midwife who is o.k., or one of the back up OB's...which I just don't want. I'm going to see one of the OB's this Wednesday, since I need to be seen every week, and she's supposed to be young and nice, and she knows I'm a patient of the mw there so I'm hoping I'll be able to quickly discuss my birth plan with her and she'll be understanding. Is that too much to ask?

Tomorrow's officially my last day of work for 3 and a half months! Unfortunately my boss is not letting me forget it, and is piling the work on...*sigh*...I just have to hang in there!

I'm sure there's more to say...I'll check in later on.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:41 PM

I had lots of contractions last night starting at 1am and tapering off around 6-ish. They got to be 3-4 minutes apart and about a minute long. Now, except for when DS nurses, no contractions. I slept in til 10:30 (DP stayed home from work) so I feel okay.

My midwife says it's not uncommon for labor to shut down during the day if it's not established enough by morning. She says it's probably an adaptive thing that was built in when we had to be more on guard for danger during the day.

So my goal for today is to get lots of protein and lots of rest.

It was good to have the chance to practice my labor coping strategies. Last time I stood up for every one and lied down and dozed in between. This time I tried the ideas of Doing Nothing Extra and also being curious about the pain to manage it from Birthing From Within. So I tried to do more lieing still on my side and just going with it. Pam England talks about assessing how painful a contraction is and then trying to make the next one "better". This helped.

I also tried to visualize/feel my cervix opening up to meet my baby. I am not the most visual person so I looked at some cards of flowers I have to help me. I also looked at baby pics of my DS, which really helped with getting happy feelings going. I also have the Sheila Kitzinger breastfeedeing book out from the library which has good baby pics, which I used. I think last time there were moments when I forgot what the whole ordeal was for! :LOL

I grew up in North Dakota, so I had a picture of the Badlands, with a lot of blue sky. Looking at the sky and imagining myself soaring through it was good too. I had some other pics that were more badlands than sky, and they made me feel lost in the landscape--not so good, so I put those away!

I also looked through some affirmations I had written down. I found "I'm a Strong, Birthin' Mama" was a good one. Today I was thinking I might make a sign for me to look at that says "Birth Warrior at Work"

Okay, off to up my protein with a hemp smoothie (better than it sounds, I promise!).

Have a good day/week all!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:28 PM

Oh Zeldasmom, sounds pretty good! LV's coming your way!

Just got back from my appt.

Everything is still good. BP and urine were fine, HR was in the 140's, uterus at 40 cm. We talked about alot. Just about how I'm doing overall, staying active, etc. She brought up alot of natural ways to kick start things- herbs and acupuncture being the main things. She said I could do them now if I wanted, but I've decided to wait until next week to try either. I figure if I'm at 41w3d, and still haven't delivered, then it's time to take action. At this point I'm not really worried, and I've actually gotten over my antsy-ness because I know it's going to be within the next few weeks regardless. I'd rather not go past 42, as risks increase to the baby after then. If I have to, I have to, though. If I'm still pregnant next Monday, the NST's will start so that we know baby is okay. I'd also have to get an ultrasound. I don't want to have to do that, either. But if I have to, I have to. I asked for a membrane strip/sweep today, and she was fine with it. It was really no big deal, it hurt a bit and I had a major contraction right away and have been having crampiness since. I'll likely go back Wednesday to have another one if I'm not in labour by then. She says they are more effective if you repeat them. So, if no baby I'll have them Wed and Fri, and if still no baby Monday I'll probably try acupuncture and herbs. If nothing happens by tomorrow, I'm going to get some EPO and either do that or have sex EVERY night. For the record, I haven't progressed, but she said my cervix was extremely stretchy- that she could stretch it a good 3 cm which was a good sign. So anyway, I am having a hard time organizing my thoughts right now, but that's the gist of "the plan" right now.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 PM

shell--sounds like a good plan. My mw also recommends acupuncture, and I've heard it's really effective!

We had a very busy weekend, but that was really good. We went to a festival near our house and walked for hours, then I got to take an actual nap! Then on Sunday my church had a shower for me and it was so nice...they got lots of sposies which I am going to donate to hurricane relief, plus some cute boy clothes and a CAKE that I can't stay away from...the remnants are in my fridge and I should just throw them away but I CAN'T : :LOL Then we went to a friend's baptism party for her little boy, and then out to dinner with other friends...it was crazy and dd was so tired, but I was glad to have a day where I didn't have to just sit and think about being so very pg, you know?

I had tons of contractions today, but nothing regular or that stopped me in my tracks. I'm taking EPO several times a day and we're trying to have sex every few days, but I keep falling asleep at 9 or so. oh well!

It's been so fun to read the birth stories. Hopefully more tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:08 PM

Hello everyone! The kids and I ended up needing to take dh to the dentist this afternoon. He is going to be having his wisdom teeth taken out on Friday. I wish that he could get off work to have it done sooner as he has been in alot of pain from them. I am just happy that they are taking them out! We also got an estimate as to how much it would cost to have all the work done on his teeth to give him back his smile. WOW! Is all I can say. Who knew that it was so expensive to get your teeth fixed? :LOL I guess we will be taking it a step at a time.

Dh was told that the company he interviewed with in Fond Du Lac is putting together a job offer for him. Yay! I am so excited! I hope that they put together an offer better that what he expects. So I am going to start looking for housing in the area and calling the school districts to see if they have the right stuff to be able to teach ds. I am soooo happy for him! I am trying not to get ahead of myself though. We won't be moving for a couple of months at least though. So that is a relief.

Food is ready, so I will check back later. Take care all!

Old 09-12-2005, 11:43 PM

If I don't get some sleep soon, I might just go postal!! : I've tried skipping naps, taking naps, resting and nothing changes. I get to bed and I'm wide awake....just sitting there until 3-4am. I'm so exhausted!! It's nearly impossible to keep up well with my four kids at this point. I'm thinking I should have waiting to start this year of hsing until AFTER the baby was born.

And I'm getting the vibe that this baby is going to just hang out. I'm 39wks, but I don't feel my body getting ready at ALL. Usually, I have TONS AND TONS of contractions for 2-4wks, but not this time. Even after sex I only had ONE. Ugh.

At least I got my birth pool set up finally. :LOL Come on baby...just give me a sign!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:49 AM

Nowornever - Sending you sleep vibes! I cannot imagine having four kids to attend to right now.

GoldieMom - That is AWESOME about dh's job offer. Are you a small town person? My dh is from Green Bay. He says FdL is beautiful. He says the town "Would be a good mythical setting for a story...."

mambeth - Why stay away from the cake?! Treat yourself!

Shell_Ell - I'll be thinking of you. My MW and I had the same conversation today... ELV's your way.

Zeldas Mom - Thanks for the great contrax strategies. Which ones work best for you? Here's to strong birthin' mama warrior energy!!

curlyfry - your boss is a stinker. hang in there and enjoy your time off!

trijosie-mama - I hear ya about the shower thing. Cool that someone bought you cloth diapers. btw, one of the prep nurses at my mw's today said that she got a huge burst of energy one or two days before she delivered. Sounds like you might have hit that. Not to jinx anything, just thinking....

counterGOPI - sorry to hear about your kitty. I hope she feels better soon.

mom2threenurslings - sorry about your hips. makes getting up tricky. May they shift soon. I know I am REALLY looking forward to a chiro adjustment after baby comes.

As for me, well, I have been impatient and reminding myself that I shouldn't be, that all is well. Last night I did a little meditating, burned sweet grass (it's a feminine herb), and checked in with Sophie. I felt her waiting. I asked what she is waiting for, and she said "the moon." Well, that frustrated me at first, cuz what does that mean? I told dh about it this AM, and he thought maybe she meant the moon sign. So we looked it up, and the moon goes from Saggitarius to Capricorn tomorrow about 3 our time. Maybe she wants the same moon sign as her papa? (capricorn). So then for fun we looked at the rest of the planets around then tomorrow, and the moon (and relationships among the planets, etc.) is the only thing that changes. Fun thing was a lot of the stuff we saw in her future chart confirmed things that I have sensed from her, like she will be stubborn and headstrong, psychic, curious....

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted. I am not a huge astrology nut or anything, but I find some curiousity in it and will be interested to see what happens.

Been feeling strange, but good. And I feel less impatient. Just ready to meet my little girl.

Be well!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Tons of catching up to do!!!

Here I am, up at 4:30AM (I've been up since around 3:30) for no good reason other than I had to pee and then couldn't get back to sleep. : I guess I'll just try to enjoy this quiet time before the kids get up, which should be any minute.

NowOrNever - I hope you got some sleep. Boy do I know what it's like!

Erin - Glad to hear your shower went well.

Goldie - :LOL about your thread - I beat you to it! Sounds like things are looking up for your dh / the job. I hope he gets a great offer!!!

curlyfry - I hope your last day at work goes smoothly and your boss doesn't pile too much on!!!

ZeldasMom - Hoping to hear some baby news from you soon!!! Sending ELVs your way!

MIchelle - It sounds like you have a great plan! I hope baby cooperates!

mamabeth - Sounds like your church shower was great - what a wonderful thing to do with the unneeded sposies!!! Send some of that cake my way! :LOL

danaan - It will be interesting to see how things turn out! I hear you about being impatient and knowing you shouldn't be. My EDD isn't until Friday, my babes are usually "late" ... yet I find myself getting impatient. Hang in there!

Nothing much new here - got my GBS test kit in the mail yesterday and will probably take it this morning and bring it to the lab. Maybe I'll have the baby before the results get back (no, I'm not being impatient, really! ).

I FINALLY got an email from Rachel, our 17 year old friend/babysitter who will be attending Moonbaby's birth - she emailed me her parents' phone numbers (cell and work) and her school phone numbers in case I go into labor when she's in school. I just call one of her parents, who will call the school, and my parents will pick her up at school and bring her here (my parents will be attending the birth also, and just happen to live next door to Rachel!). She's voting I get her out by 11 or so so she misses trig/pre-calc! :LOL

I have nothing planned for today, a LLL meeting on Wed., playgroup and my kids' homeschool nature class on Thurs., and midwife appointment on Friday (my EDD). I'm trying to just plan on doing all these things so I don't get into thinking that I *may* have Moonbaby by/before then!

Can't wait to read some more birth stories!!!

Old 09-13-2005, 11:41 AM

Good Tuesday morning! I'm not going to work today so I'm hoping to get some relaxing time in!! I'm pretty swollen today so I think I need to get my feet up and drink some extra fluids. ds only has a half day at school, it's nice to be able to walk him to and from school! I am hoping today it may cause this body of mine to kick into gear a little. I woke up around 2am from a contraction, which got me excited and I was unable to fall back to sleep, even though I only had a few contrations that followed and nothing nearly as strong. I'm starting to feel like if I step to hard shes going to just fall out!! It's like her head is right there waiting. I've been searching to see if there is some reason I'm uncomfortable and maybe holding myself back. The only thing I can come up with is my mom and we've come up with several solutions to keeping her out of the room while I'm in labor. My mom barged in on my SIL, several times, shes very overwhelming and tends to be the one trying to get everyones attention and I don't need that while I'm in the hospital. So she's the one in charge of ds, she'll be at the hospital, but we've decided we dont want him in the room while I'm delivering so she'll have to take care of hime eslewhere. My only other concerns with her are her driving, she's not allowed to drive with ds (I never know if she's straight or not) and I have back-up plans for that too, my sis will get him and head to the hospital or I will have him with me, it all depends on where I am when I go into labor and what time of day it is etc...

I guess I am **** worried about it or I wouldn't have tyed so much. Maybe i'll use some private time today to meditate and try to let it go.

I don't have the brain power for peronals right now. It's great to see all the new baby's and it seems like everyone is doing very good right now! I'm off to relax for a bit and then finish cleaning my house!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Erin! I hope you find some quiet time today to sort things out!

Old 09-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Yes, Erin, I hope you get some time to do that too. It is so helpful. I also am a journal person and have written a ton trying to process this birth, so if you want to do that and have the time it might help too.

I had another day of contractions yesterday, from about 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and I am getting so tired of them. I couldn't sleep last night because I was so sore from tensing up during them, which I never feel like I'm doing--I *think* I'm relaxing through them-- and then I'm always sore up high in my neck afterwards. I just wish they would DO something already!

I'm also inexplicably starving today. I am now eating lots of pineapple, because that's the only thing at my office, and it's making the kiddo go crazy with kicks! I'm still working part-time until I deliver and it's actually a good thing.

I hope everybody has a good day...these fast birth stories are just pouring in!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 PM

Hello everyone! It's Tuesday! :LOL

Erin, I hope that you are able to just kick back and relax and hopefully let go of the mom stress.

Amanda, your week sounds really nice and busy. Enjoy the little bit of time you still have with moonbaby inside, cause you know life is gonna be really interesting once s/he is in the outside world.

All these fast labors are wearing me out! I get tired just reading about them. Not that 4 1/2 hours is long or anything, but I feel like I was in labor forever in comparison. :LOL My Mom will be here in 4 days! I am so excited. I just need to do a bit of straightening and some vacuuming before she gets here. I know she doesn't care what my place looks like, but I sure do! Not having Mom see it looking like a pig sty.

Well I am off for a bit. I will check back in later. Take care everyone!

Old 09-13-2005, 02:09 PM

: Last day of work...woo hoo!

Just had to pop in real quick and celebrate! I might not be able to read/post for a couple of days because I've had internet access at work and we're getting it set up at home, but don't have it yet. (who am I kidding? I'm sure I'll find a way to check in, but figured I'd mention that if you don't hear from me for a few days!)

Also, I wonder how Lilli's doing...her induction was this morning right??

Sending her lots of **Peaceful Labor Vibes**
Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 PM

guess what?! we have a hurricane coming here on thursday and we may have to evacualte. even if we dont evacuate our hospital will more than likely close down.(its on base and the base tends to evacuate everyone) my little kaulini had better not come early!! ughhhh. im afriad of having to deal with having my baby somewhere else after i got everything here set up.
<3,
nicole

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 09-13-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

ELV's going out to Lilli! I completely forgot...thanks for the reminder!

nicole! I hope Kaulini waits for you to be safe again at home. Good luck with the evac and keep in touch if possible!

Goldie - thanks for the reminder! :LOL

beth ... I hope the contractions are doing something! Enjoy the pineapple (oooh, that sounds good!!!).

Trying to keep myself busy today, but it's not working. I need to find something to put on tv and sit and relax for a while...maybe Little House on the Prairie.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:08 PM

Looks like Lilli is fine. *phew*

I have to say, though, after reading that birth story, I'm starting to get a bit frightened about what the pain is really going to feel like. I feel prepared, but I mean, you never know until you go through it, right? I just hope that the coping strategies that I've practiced can help me relax through the pain and not fight it. Give in to it, and breathe. Change position. Visualize. I really want to do this without pain medication.

Zeldasmom...I actually wrote down some of the things that you posted and I'm going to include them in my "birth wisdom" journal tonight.

That's all for now...

(by the way, Nicole...hope everything goes well for you and Kaulini cooperates)
Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yaay Lilli!

curlyfry! In my experience, the more relaxed I am and the more positive I am about the experience, the less pain I feel. It sounds like you've prepared yourself very well for relaxing and coping during labor.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
curlyfry! In my experience, the more relaxed I am and the more positive I am about the experience, the less pain I feel. It sounds like you've prepared yourself very well for relaxing and coping during labor.
Thanks Amanda! I guess we'll know in a few days!

Can you believe I'm still at work? I told myself I would pace myself since it's my last day but I've gotta get outta here by 5! sheesh...

I don't think baby is happy with me either, because she's wriggling and wiggling like crazy right now! o.k...maybe if I would stop posting on MDC and actually finish my work, I could go home...hehe
Old 09-13-2005, 06:43 PM

I agree, Lisa! I've had four natural births and I have done everything from freak out to remaining calm. I can tell you that freaking out makes the pain 100xs worse. The more calm and in control you remain, the easier it makes it for your body to do what it's supposed to do.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:24 AM

Wow! I have added 8! babies to the list today. I can't believe how we seem to have kicked the baby birthing into high gear. I am sooo happy to be adding all these babies that have the neatest names. *sigh* For those of you still waiting, I send out lots of hugs.

MOre later baby crying!

Old 09-14-2005, 03:52 AM

holy crap, 10 babies in one day! What, did you all get together in a circle & VIBE??? CONGRATS to all you mamas, I dont know how I'll find the time to read all those stories! I also am sending hugs to the mamas still waiting. Don't get discouraged, your babies have their own baking agendas, and are doing what they know is best for themselves. I think I recall someone posting "each day you wake up pregnant is another day that your babe is safe in your belly getting all your nutrients"...I like that one.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 AM

Goodmorning mamas!! Congratulations to all those with new babies!!

I tihnk I'm gettin really cranky about still being pregnant. I really figured I would have gone by now, With ds I was only 38wks 4 days, Now I'm 39 wks 4dys. And I'm not having any more signs that labor will behappening in the next few days, except a bruised feeling pelvic bone. When I get up to pee inte middle of the night, standing is very hard, I almost can't do it without wall support.

DH had a minor accident at work, well not him his boss so he won't be going into work today, he's a little worried about losing his job. They are having a review of what happened today and he'll go in for a meeting afterwards. My biggest fear with this is he really won't find another job in this area, we wold have no choice but to move. He works on boats and Wisconsin just doesn't have a lot of them. We weren't planning to move for a few more years, I cant' worry about it though. It's not happening yet!

I'm being a terribly mean person rightnow. I have to go to work today and my feet are killing me, I'm whiny and tired and just plain at the end of my rope! Maybe getting it out will help!

OH, I figured out the mom stuff, thankyou guys for the support! I didn't get as much relaxing as i wanted, but enough! And I was able to talk to a few family members and dh and come up with some good solutions. My labor should be a wonderful experience, if it would just start already!

I'm off to work now, I hope my impatient cranky behavior isn't too bad!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 PM

So, as I posted on the WAAAAHHH thread, I feel so jealous of all the moms with new babes. I keep thinking it's coming -- and of course, it is -- but I sit and wait. Every birth story makes me cry. My dh is tired of being at work. We're a couple of whiners!

But I had this thought last night that I tried discussing with dh but he thought I was looking for a solution-based conversation, which I wasn't. I'm hoping I can get a little input from you gals.

My dream has always been a home birth. I was accepted into midwifery school (direct entry) several years ago, but decided the timing was off. I am fervently dedicated to natural, peaceful, non-interventionist birth. My dream birth would be in warm salty water outside, or in the forest or something. (We're talking when I really let myself daydream, here :LOL )

Our insurance covers all of prenatal care at an OB clinic, with a payment for the hospital stay. Our version of our insurance covers no out-of-network care, which a homeborth would be. So we decided to stick with our great nurse mw practice when we moved an hour away because we just weren't finding that kind of care closer to our house. I had a brief period of total bliss and excitement when I thought we might be able to swing a homebirth, but then realized it wasn't practical. I love my midwives, who are more like birthing center mw's, though I'm not psyched about the hospital, but it should be fine.

But I got to wondering about if maybe I am holding back subconsciously in this baby's birth. I know I'm not really that late (40 w 4 days), but I have had two nights of reg mild to moderate ctrax all night that go away by morning. I had to ask myself if something was holding me back. I realized last night that I am pretty resistant to that drive to the hospital, to the hospital itself (especially triage), and to just leaving my home to have a baby. I suspect my birth will be fast -- mom had two precipitous births. I've been having fantasies about it going so fast I have an unplanned home birth. But then I don't know where I'd take the baby when she was born, and I'd like some attendant in case she has trouble breathing or something. So I don't really want that.

I came up with the affirmation, "I trust the journey." That includes both the literal drive to the hospital and the whole process. I am witnessing my frustration and resistance and sitting with this affirmation. I'm not really an affirmation kind of gal, but I need something to hold myself on track right now.

Okay. Thanks for putting up with such a long post. I needed to get it all out. There's nothing to do but go forward.

A funny little note, to end -- the only dream I remember from last night was that I was singing in a Baptist church service (I am pagan, if anything) the song "You Can't Hurry Love." I started laughing this morning thinking of the lyrics. I think it was a note from Sophie.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:26 PM

danaan--it is so hard to go "over" especially with all these babies! I think that sounds like a great affirmation/visualization. And I think it is totally normal to start questioning birth choices even at this late date, and maybe especially now.

"You can't hurry love" :LOL

I'm just sitting here contracting, occasionally painfully, nothing regular that I can see. Same old same old! It will be weird to *not* have ctx when this is done. But I really won't mind, I swear.

User Tag List