Miles Louis is here, too! (long birth story included) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Miles Louis was born Monday Sept. 12th at 6:52 a.m. after 2.5 hours of labor. Here's the story:

All day Sunday and during the evening I was having contractions very often, but was able to ignore them. Before bed, I found myself angrily ripping all my maternity clothes out of my closet, determined to not wear them anymore. I said to myself, "I do not want to be induced on Tuesday the 13th (bad luck in Spanish-speaking countries). I am going to go to bed, wake up, and have this baby." I told dh the same thing and he didn't believe me. I went to bed around 2 a.m. Poor dh must have believed me on some subconscious level, though, b/c every time I woke up to pee, he had sleepwalked somewhere else, including to the computer, where he insisted he was just checking something. At 4:20 I woke up and realized I was having a painful contraction and the urge to poop. I sat on the toilet for awhile in misery and then got the idea to look at the clock. I realized I was having contractions every 2-5 minutes for a minute each! I stood up to get the phone to call the midwife and had to sway and dance leaning over the bathroom counter through another contraction. I knew it was labor so I called her and she agreed that it was. I told her I wanted to go to the hospital b/c I really wanted an epidural and whatever other relief I could get. I said we'd be there between 6 and 6:30 (it was now 5:15 a.m.) Dh (who was very hard to wake up after his night adventures) called my mom to come down and watch ds. Mind you, she only lives 50 yards away, but it took her 15 minutes, and I was panicking. My labor had become very serious very quickly. Dh decided to iron his clothes and I told him he would go naked to the hospital if he weren't dressed when mom got there. Poor guy was so confused and tired from sleepwalking all night.

So mom got there and off we went. We were excited to speed through the local speed trap with *the* excuse, but we didn't see a single cop. We got to the hospital at exactly 6. For the last 10 minutes of the ride, I had one continuous contraction with peaks and valleys. I made dh park and I walked myself up to L&D. I got in a room and the midwife Nancy checked me - 5 cm, 75% effaced, and 0 station. I was very happy to know that all my pain was doing something. The nurse knew I wanted an epidural immediately, so she started my IV, but once it was in, the contractions became so unbearable that I began to panic. I begged the nurse to get Nancy and ask her for some narcotic. At this point, my preferred midwife, Kathy, came in for her day of call. She had said she really wanted to catch my baby when I spoke to her last and something had told her to come in 30 minutes early. She said, "I'm going to go change out of my dress," but then I said, "I have to push!" and she took one look at me and said, "I think I'll just throw a gown on." She checked me and I was complete (with a little lip) in just 20 minutes since I was 5 cm. I kept begging for something to stop the pain b/c the contractions were one on top of another, and she said, "Well, it's going to hurt a little more for a few minutes, and then it will be over." I was so out of my head with pain that all I could do was moan and cry and beg for it to be over. Finally she said that I should roll onto my side and that I had to actually push (and not just freak out) for it to be over. So I started pushing for real, instead of just fighting my body. The first push he crowned, the 2nd push his head came out, and the 3rd push the rest of his body - about 4 minutes total. Dh and I didn't even realize he was born yet until Kathy put him on my side. It was 2 1/2 hours since I woke up and about 40 minutes after getting into my room. The anesthesiologist arrived as I pushed the baby out.

Miles' placenta and cord were so little. He was 7 lbs 1 oz and 19.5 inches long. B/c his birth was so precipitous, he didn't get his lungs squeezed enough and he had some retractions when he breathed, but by the time the NICU nurse came up to see him, he was fine. We were still in shock that he was born already.

So I got both what I wanted and what I didn't want. I wanted him to be born the morning after I decided, and he was. I wanted the scheduled induction to psychologically relax me into labor, and it worked. But I really wanted the painless, parking-lot epidural sort of birth, and I got continuous unbearable contractions and a precipitous drug-free labor. On the upside, it is sort of cool : to say I had such a labor, and the recovery was so much quicker than with the epidural I had with Maddox. I was able to get up and pee and walk immediately. I had no time to get swollen or tear or anything. However, I enjoyed Maddox's labor more, especially the slow progression of pushing him out. I don't wish that this labor had taken longer, though, since it was so painful. This birth was really a learning experience for me in many ways. I can say, though, that it hurt so much more than I ever imagined it could hurt.

I spent one night in the hospital so I could be alone with Miles, but of course I got no sleep with hospital routines. Miles has been a slow starter with nursing (as was Maddox), but this time we had an excellent LC who got him to latch and eat in about 5 minutes of instruction. I can already feel my breasts growing. Maddox adores his little brother and kisses him constantly. I have Miles in the sling now so Maddox cannot see him - out of sight, out of mind - and it seems to be working. Miles is still so sleepy and I need to wake him to feed him now.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#2 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CONGRATULATIONS

I've been thinking about you today, Lilli. What an amazing birth story. Sorry about the pain, but well, it's over now, right? I don't know, all of the sudden lightning fast labors seem to be the trend in our due date club...maybe my little one will take a hint!

Welcome to the world, little Miles.
#3 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 04:57 PM

LILLI!!!! Congratulations!!!

to the world, Miles Louis!

Happy Babymoon!

It's great to hear Miles birth went so well, even if it was intense! It sounds like it was an overall good experience for you - good for you for making it happen when you wanted to and making it through the intensity (not that you had much of a choice in the matter! )

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#4 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 05:08 PM

Woo-hoo! : You did it, Lilli! Enjoy getting to know Baby Miles!
#5 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Congratulations and welcome baby Miles!!
#6 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 06:18 PM

Happy birthday baby miles! congrats momma.. thanks for sharing your story .. happy babymoon!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Congratulations!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#8 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM

Lurking from the October board!

Thanks for sharing your story..it gave me goosebumps because it sounds eerily like my second delivery...I was crying because I couldn't have my epidural...I thought I had hours left and it was time to push!

Congratulations on your new son!
#9 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 07:31 PM

Congratulations Lilli, and I'm glad he's here! Enjoy your sweet baby.
#10 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 07:47 PM

Yay Lilli! Welcome to the world Miles! Happy babymooning.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#11 of 21 Old 09-13-2005, 09:40 PM

Im so glad it all went well! baby had his own plans! :LOL they always do ...hee hee

Fast labours are hard on the body.. trust me I know its all have. Just take your time and rest.. I am 7 days pp and still pretty useless overall. :LOL
#12 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 09:37 AM

Congratulations Lilli to the birth of your precious son. Miles !!!! I wish you a happy babymoon and am so glad that you, your baby and your family are doing so well.

Alex
#13 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 AM

you DID it!!!! congratulations!!!!!!!!

andn welcome miles louis!!!!!!
#14 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 04:44 PM

Welcome Miles! Babies have a way of throwing a wrench into all of our careful plans. You did it Miles way which was the only way. It sounds like it was extremely intense! Congratulations Lilli!
#15 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 PM

Congratulations, Lilli!! Welcome baby Miles! I'm sure you're glad he's here and labor and delivery are over. Desmond loves to kiss Gavin, too.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#16 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 09:31 PM

Congratulations! So glad you got the birth you wanted and everything worked out in its perfect timing! Enjoy your new bundle!

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#17 of 21 Old 09-14-2005, 11:57 PM

Congratulations on baby Miles AND getting a good LC right away!
#18 of 21 Old 09-16-2005, 12:39 AM

Congratulations!!!
#19 of 21 Old 09-16-2005, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for sharing your birth story, Galatea.
Sorry your labor was so intense... seems like Miles was excited to meet you. It is cool that you didn't tear.

Congratulations, Mama! Welcome baby Miles!

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#20 of 21 Old 09-16-2005, 03:09 PM

congrats to you!!! enjoy your babymoon!!!
#21 of 21 Old 09-18-2005, 10:20 AM

I had to come find your birth story and read it after seeing your updated siggie....

Congratulation, mama! You did it!

I hope you're enjoying your babymoon with your perfect little baby.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page