another mastitis question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is considered the normal avenue of treatment for this. last time I had it when dd was born I was in another province and they hospitalized me to give me antibiotics.. is this a quicker better way?

I am debating heading over the the ER.. I feel soooo crap right now
#2 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 12:03 AM

As I understand it, you only need antibiotics if mastitus is severe. When I had mastitus I did take antibiotics. I got the sickest I have ever been in my life--it was definitely worse than going through labor. If I were taking antibiotics I would for sure do probiotics (I am taking them now as a prevention measure). You mentioned in another thread that thrush is also an issue--another reason I would want to take probiotics. kellymom has some good mastitus and thrush info:
www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/index.html

Other than antibiotics my understanding is that you want to nurse, nurse, nurse and get rid of any hard spots you have in your breasts. LLL has some ideas about things to do to get rid of the mastitus before resorting to antibiotics:
www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

Feel better soon!!!
#3 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

Ok define severe for me...I feel horrible fever of 103 chills.. weak muscle aches and pains cannot get out of bed barely strong enough to carry around my baby ( thankfully dh is here) no appetite my poor head just pounds and if I stand up... oh boy!

I am breastfeeding two kids.. so I am not that engorged.. my toddler nurses whatever the baby isnt. I just got into a good routine with that yesterday..but now I am worried she will get the thrush too...yikes..I have had this every time but the first baby I had.. ( I did not breastfeed him )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
As I understand it, you only need antibiotics if mastitus is severe. When I had mastitus I did take antibiotics. I got the sickest I have ever been in my life--it was definitely worse than going through labor. If I were taking antibiotics I would for sure do probiotics (I am taking them now as a prevention measure). You mentioned in another thread that thrush is also an issue--another reason I would want to take probiotics. kellymom has some good mastitus and thrush info:
www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/index.html

Other than antibiotics my understanding is that you want to nurse, nurse, nurse and get rid of any hard spots you have in your breasts. LLL has some ideas about things to do to get rid of the mastitus before resorting to antibiotics:
www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

Feel better soon!!!
#4 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 01:37 AM

I had mastitis 9 times while I was nursing Ellie before I became pregnant with Eva. I never went to the ER - always just had my OB call in oral antibiotics. One time I did not take the antibiotics because I was just so sick of them. I got over the mastitis, but I was sick with it again a week later. So definitely take the antibiotics.

I feel your pain. I've never been so sick as I have been in that first year nursing Ellie. Well, the uterine infection after Eva was born was pretty bad too but at least I've avoided mastitis so far this time! I already had it twice by the time Ellie was 7 weeks old (same age as Eva now). I had an awful, awful oversupply last time and believe that it why I had it so often. This time my supply is more reasonable and I'm sure having Ellie around to help out whenever I feel too full is helping too. ;-) She's always willing to oblige!
#5 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 01:52 AM

I don't use abx.
I used colloidal silver and felt better the next day.

I hope you feel better soon.

#6 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmuma
Ok define severe for me...I feel horrible fever of 103 chills.. weak muscle aches and pains cannot get out of bed barely strong enough to carry around my baby ( thankfully dh is here) no appetite my poor head just pounds and if I stand up... oh boy!
Ugh. I am so sorry you are going through this. To me that is definitely severe. I would personally for sure be doing antibiotics if I were in your shoes. Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works fast and you feel better soon!!!!
#7 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 PM

I do castor oil packs on the site, drink tons of water till you notice an increase in urination, nurse on that side first. My mom used to do Chammomile tea packs instead of castor oil packs but I think the castor oil draws out the infection better. Take hot showers and let your milk flow while you are in there.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#8 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 PM

I would massage the hot spot(s) on that breast and put hot packs on it as well. The heat will help your body fight the infection.

Good luck, and hope it gets better soon.
#9 of 10 Old 09-20-2005, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok doing cephalexin.. sp? and in my bed! I hope I feel better soon this is sooo horrible.
#10 of 10 Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 PM

Marmom,

Definitely take the antbx, and I would even try to get a second prescritption for them to have them onhand in case it comes back. You do not want the infection to go into your lymph nodes, as it did for me, and you don't want it to become an abcess.

I would suggest though that while you take the antbx you also take 6-7 raw cloves of garlic a day for 7 days. Mash it into a paste with olive oil and salt, eat it on crusty bread, and it will be edible. Also make sure that you are not anemic, up the iron intake in your diet, and REST. No upper body strain for at least the next few weeks-- and this includes slinging your baby. Take Ibuprofin as opposed to other pain killers as you want something anti-inflammatory. Check with your dr or mw to be sure but I think you can take double the dosage recommended on the bottle. Continue to take the Ibuprofin even after you feel better because you don't want the ducts swelling up again. Castor oil packs (with heat) will also help. Do them at least twice a day. Eat raw parsley if you have oversupply.

HTH, PM if you have more ?s or just ask, I am a mastitis "expert" unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page