post partum headaches - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i delivered 13 days ago and have recently started having really bad headaches. i dont usually take anything for headaches but have needed to with the past few days and it doesnt relieve them very well. i did not have any pain medication/epidural during delivery.

anybody else??
#2 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 PM

I would go see your doctor, GP or otherwise. Check to see if you are anemic, or dehydrated.
What has worked for me with my headaches is 3 (200mg each) motrin and 2 (200mg each) tylenol extra strength. Every 6 hours. That seems to knock my headache right out- but I still suffer from them (1 yr after dd2 birth) (sorry to be a downer!)
You need to be in tip top shape for your babe mama- take care of yourself.
all my best

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#3 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

you know, its probably dehydration. i am nursing 2 and surely not drinking enough.

thanks!
#4 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 PM

I was going to suggest dehydration too...nursing takes sooo much fluid to maintain your hydration and produce milk, especially if you are tandemming....I know with ds one I was lucky, I never had any letdown reflex that I noticed except that the second i would start nursing him I would feel like if I didn't have a litre of water RIGHT NOW!!!! I would keel over dead. DH never could understand why it took me at least 6 months to remember to get my own water before sitting down to nurse...( I say I was just trying to include him in ds's care :LOL )

Also, if you have started drinking caffeine since baby was born, and weren't drinking it during pregnancy, or if you have changed your caffeine consumption in any way...that can contribute to intense headaches too....did you know that going from half a cup of coffee a day to nothing can cause intense caffeine withdrawal headaches?

Hope you find a solution soon.....I know how agonizing head pain can be.
#5 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 08:43 PM

tylenol extra strength is 500mg

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#6 of 7 Old 09-21-2005, 12:38 PM

I had a migraine headache behind my right eye yesterday, which was one week after DD's birth. When i'm not pregnant I get a headache 1-2 times/month and they seem to happen at certain points in my menstrual cycle. I normally take imitrex. I had a few headaches very early on with this pregnancy. When I feel one coming on I try to use caffeine--cola or coffee--to ward it off. Resting with an eye pillow over my eyes or with my head under the water in the bathtub and just my nose sticking out also helps. For me I think lack of protein can cause headaches, so I am going to try to do better with that. My 23mo DS has started nursing like crazy ever since DD was born so I would not be surprised if the lack of protein thing were gping on for me again.

Hope you are feeling better today, Lillian!
#7 of 7 Old 09-21-2005, 12:54 PM

I had severe headache and thought it might be from the epidural, but, the headaches did not go away when I lay supine, which they're supposed to if it's the epidural related headache. It was horrible!

I think these headaches can come from crashing/ alternating hormones, sleep deprivation, stress. Mine abruptly went away at 8 days post partum.

Ibuprofin is the only thing that relieves headaches for me. Tylenol doesn't touch them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page