Nursing Mama's - week of 9/23- 9/30 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-27-2005, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Michelle - You will get lots of support for domperidone in the low milk supply tribe in "finding your tribe" forum. Or maybe the "breastfeeding forum." I'm not sure which.

Hugs to you!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#32 of 45 Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This baby is giving me more nursing trouble than my other two did. He doesn't want to nurse from my left side at all - but I am trying to work with him and get him to take it. It is very frustrating. I am pretty engorged on that side and I pump some before offering it to him so that the nipple won't be flat and he can latch on. He also sleeps for hours at a time and I find myself having to wake him every two to three hours to nurse. As of yesterday he lost a whole lb from his birth weight so I don't want him to sleep so much that he continues to lose weight. He also sleeps 4-5 hours at night. Oh, and he is 1 week old today.
#33 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 01:31 PM

Angie, the LC I see said that babies need two stints of 3 hour stretches of sleep a day to conserve calories. So sleeping is good! Sleeping HELPS them gain weight!

I am a bit confused right now. I took Riley to his ped today. He is up to 7 lb 5 oz, so he's up almost a pound since his last appt, and 5 oz since Tuesday. I know that's thanks to formula. So here's the deal. His ped wants me to wean off formula. He thinks that the LC and midwives are feeding me crap and that I probably would make enough if I just stopped supplementing. I'm really nervous about this. First of all, he's a much happier baby with supplementing. He's sleeping better, his moods are better, and his color is better. Not to mention he has gained all that weight. But the ped said his opinion is that I do not need medication to help my supply, I simply need to nurse more often. I don't know how I could nurse more often. I nurse 16 times a day at least, plus giving him formula. Now, who's to say that I'm not making more than .5 oz that shows when we do the naked weighs. Who knows. He says that's not accurate. I'm really annoyed that I keep getting varying opinoins. I really think that the LC I see knows far more about breastfeeding than Riley's ped. But he also says that in his 20 years of practice he's never met a woman who couldn't produce enough for her baby. He kept saying there's nothing wrong with me, that he just needed to get fattened up and now he can be weaned. I have no idea which end is up right now. Believe me, I want to wean him off the formula, but I'm scared he'll get dehydrated, be cranky, not sleep well, etc. because he won't get enough from me. He wants me to wean 2 oz a day (so 10 oz today, 8 oz tomorrow, 6 oz Sat, etc) until he gets no formula. Scary part is, he demands more food now that he's used to full tummy, and I DO NOT make the 1.5 to 2 oz that he takes in a bottle of formula. I'm afraid he's going to be on the breast 24/7 and still not be satisfied. Ack, sorry for the vent. I'm just not sure what to do now!
#34 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Oh Michelle, hugs to you. What do your instincts tell you to do?

I think it's worth trying the ped's weaning idea, since it's only reducing it by 2 oz/day. And if Riley starts to fuss after a day or two of the reduction, then you can go right back to the supplementing. But if Riley nurses better and helps you produce more in that time, then you'll end up getting to where I think you want to be.

Good luck and keep us posted.
#35 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 02:44 PM

So, what are your tricks of the trade for nursing time?

I've re-learned that I need to put a towel underneath Geoffrey before nursing him, to catch the spitups. (Only once a day, but that one is a BIG one!)

I've got my nursing bracelet going as well. Basically, I've got a bracelet that moves from wrist to wrist depending on which side is going to be used next. (The safety pin in the bra never worked for me because I don't wear a bra to bed.)

And my palmpilot is loaded with books and games for those upcoming nursing marathons. The best part of the palmpilot is that it's got its own light, so that I don't need to have the room light on to read a book.

Got any other tips to share?
#36 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Michelle....since you are staying at home, is it possible that you could go shirtless all day,and hold Riley (except when you need to put him down, if you have a sling, you could wear him all day between feeds) and just let him nurse any time he turns to root. Switching breasts, or staying on one breast longer. For example, when Kate nurses for a few mintues, like lets say she nurses for 10 mintues, then goes to sleep for an hour, when she wakes again, I put her back on that breast for the next meal. Once she's been on that breast for 2 feedings (or if she has a LONG feeding like this afternoon- for 1 hour) then I switch breasts. Sometimes it seems she needs a 'drink' at the end of her meal rather than more hindmilk...and that's ok.

Oh and I was wondering, when you are doing the naked weights...how long are you nursing before the weight, until HE is done, or after a certian amount of time? Perhaps your too nervous to get a good let down of hindmilk and that's why your coming up with .5 oz. Just wondering, since I'm not there, I thought I'd ask!

And about the weaning off the supplementing...it needs to be something your comfortable with...the ped wants 2 oz a day...are you comfortable with 1, 1.5...do you think after a longer nap, you'd be comfortable with 2?

And...another question (sorry!) are you eatting oatmeal? Drinking a TON of water (like a gallon a day) and are you drinking Mothers Milk Tea? How about taking Fenugreek (I hate to take 9 a day, 3 w/ breakfast, 3 w/ lunch and 3 w/ dinner)

((Hugs))

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#37 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Now for the "tips"

I was using a nursing bracelet, but I was having more trouble with remembering at night...so I switched my 'night bra' to one with hooks rather than the easy open clasps...and I just leave it 'unhooked' after a feeding. It's also helpful that I don't burp her at night so we stay in the side lying position after she's done eatting (I've even started falling asleep during the feed ) so we just roll over when it's time to eat again. Oh ya, and ds broke my bracelet yesterday.

Lansinoh is so wonderful...I put it on the nursing pad at the beginning at the beginning of the feed so that it's cold when I put it on. That's quite nice after LONG feeds with multipule latches.

When she starts stiring during the day, I get a snack, get a drink, and eat before she wakes up, and leave my drink at my 'nursing spot' for while she's eatting.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#38 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 PM

Dang Amanda, I have alot to answer! :LOL

I definately can nurse all day and night if I have to. It's a bit trying though, obviously. I need a break! But today I've tried to nurse more. I've had him on the boob pretty much all day since I've been home from the appt. He basically nurses when he wants overnight. I have him next to me and he just roots a bit and I pop the boob in his mouth. He nurses so much at night I can't keep track. It needs to be like that during the day, too if we're gonna be off formula. I also try to nurse him when he's crabby. Comfort from the breast is okay with me.

When we do the weighs we wait until he's done. He'll fall asleep but I'll massage my breasts and bring a little milk down for him and he wakes up to nurse more. I think it has alot to do with anxiety- even subconciously. I can manually express .5 oz in less than 5 min at home.

If my baby is hungry I'm going to feed him. Simple as that. If I have no milk left, he lets me know. So basically if we've nursed dry and he's still hungry I supplement. I don't just give them automatically. So it will be very hard to wean in that respect because I want to make sure he's not still hungry. I think I might try weaning 1 oz a day and go from there. Maybe just .5 oz less at two feedings.

Oatmeal, tea, lots of water, fenugreek... doing all of it. In fact I smell so much like maple syrup it's disgusting. :LOL I have even been pointed toward having a beer... or a non-alcoholic beer to help with it too. I might try that.

I really really apprieciate the input. I feel like my head is spinning with all of these opinions. Main things to note: I don't like havng my baby on a bottle or on formula and never wanted that. I don't want to be on any kind of medication. So trying so hard to stick with this the natural way!
#39 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Michelle, I understand not wanting himon the bottle or formula, that's how I felt with Jack!! And YES ON THE STINKING LIKE MAPLE SYRUP!! lmao, I HATED THAT!! YUCK. If I had liked beer, I would have downed a 6 pack of non alcoholic beer!!

More later....Kate's up. YOU ARE DOING GREAT

#40 of 45 Old 09-29-2005, 10:17 PM

We never did do the vitamin supplement and all three kids have been fine. We do spend a lot of time in the backyard, so they get the vitamin D there.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#41 of 45 Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 AM

How do I know if she's getting enough? I just realized that this whole time I've been assuming that her constant feedings have been filling her up, but I haven't been painfully engorged or leaking or some of the other things that I'm hearing about. I really don't want to take her to the Dr. just to get her weighed. She'd let me know if she wasn't satisfied, right?
#42 of 45 Old 09-30-2005, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

After she nurses is she happy, or asleep? _ if yes, then shes gotten enough

Does she wet at least 4 sposie diapers a day? (honestly don't know the # on cloth)

When she poops, is it yellow-orange?

I'm sure she's getting enough, otherwise you'd have a screaming bundle on your hands 24/7!

(And if she's only fussy after some feedings, she could just be tired, or need to poop because Kate does that after she's been up for more than an hour, she fusses after she eats b/c she isn't asleep)

#43 of 45 Old 09-30-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMommy
After she nurses is she happy, or asleep? _ if yes, then shes gotten enough
Happy as a clam...just ate and she's sleeping right now.

Quote:
Does she wet at least 4 sposie diapers a day? (honestly don't know the # on cloth)
At least that.

Quote:
When she poops, is it yellow-orange?
Yeah...kind of flourescent actually!

Quote:
I'm sure she's getting enough, otherwise you'd have a screaming bundle on your hands 24/7!

(And if she's only fussy after some feedings, she could just be tired, or need to poop because Kate does that after she's been up for more than an hour, she fusses after she eats b/c she isn't asleep)
I'm sure you're right. Just needed some reassurance...I guess I'm just blissfully surprised at the lack of complications that we're having. I'm creating complications in my head :LOL . Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?
#44 of 45 Old 09-30-2005, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

LOL, no problems! I find myself doing the same sometimes. It's totally possible that last week when I thought for sure we had thrush, it was nothing! Either that or I remembered the pain so clearly from having it with Jack, that I got it treated so quickly that it's gone! Either way, I don't seem to have it anymore.

Besides, it's always good to ask if your 2nd guessing yourself. I called my doula and my midwife a few times in the first week just making sure "this was normal" even though I KNEW it had to be!! :LOL

#45 of 45 Old 09-30-2005, 11:47 AM

I think most of us second guess ourselves no matter how many kids we have had. I think it is because every child is different, so what meant one thing for one child, could mean something entirely different in the next child. Glad you didn't have to go through the engorgement nightmare. I don't like that part much myself. Thankfully it is over. Though now that Allissa is hitting a growth spurt we are having some painful nights since she will cluster feed right before going to sleep for 6 hours. Well, she is cluster feeding at a different time now. Yikes!

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page