Ryan's birth story.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2005, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On Sept. 20 I had a regular prenatal appointment with my midwife. I was 40w2days and expecting to go into labor at any time. The night before I had fairly strong, regular contractions, but they stopped by morning. I felt pretty good though. Baby was pretty active too.
When we listened to Ryan's heart rate he was having some irrhythmia so my midwife sent me to the hospital for a nonstress test. She wasn't overly concerned about it as baby's sometimes develop irregular heartrates that return to normal after birth, but this was the first time my baby had one and we wanted to be safe and make sure everthing was ok.

On the way to the hospital I started to get regular, but not too strong contractions. Once on the monitor, it was clear that baby was not tolerating the contractions well at all. His heartrate was going down quite a bit and staying down with a lot of the contractions. We finally got his heartrate back up to normal by putting my head lower than the rest of my body and having me lay on my left side. The anestiologist was called in so she could knock me out quickly if the baby's heart rate went down again. This was supposed to be a vbac - but we all decided that labor would be too risky for the baby so they started to prep me for a c-section. I am so thankful that Ryan's heartrate stayed stable long enough for me to get a spinal instead of being put out. Boy, those doctor's work fast when they have to. Less than 30 minutes later, Ryan Christopher was born. Dh was sitting on one side of me, My midwife on my other side taking pictures of the whole thing and keeping me calm. My midwife got some really awesome pictures of them pulling Ryan out of me and his first cries. After they made sure that he was ok, they wrapped him up and dh held him while they finished working on me. The doctor actually removed some scar tissue I had in there on my bowels from either my endo or the appendectomy I had a couple years ago. Also, my uterus was very thin when they went in there - so I might have had some problems with that if I had gone into labor naturally.
My midwife was able to lay Ryan on my chest before I even left the operating room and it was so wonderful to be able to hold my baby so soon. He stopped crying immediately and looked right in my eyes as alert as can be. I nursed him as soon as we got to recovery. (When my 3 year old was born by c-section it felt like forever before I could hold him in recovery.) Ryan still had the irrhythmia for a couple of days after birth, but hasn't had it since. He is going to the ped. today and hopefully his heartbeat will still be perfect. Nursing is getting better, but not great. We are working on it. He isn't having enough wet diapers yet and I am concerned about that. He is still passing meconium too. I hope it is better today as we work through our nursing issues.

My older children are having a few issues adjusting to their new brother, but they do love him. Ryan looks just like his older sister and she loves that.

I hope to post some pictures later today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank-you for sharing your birth story. I'm happy you were able to hold your son so soon! :

Jenny

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
Old 09-27-2005, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh I'm so jealous I couldn't hold DD till after I was out of recovery and they took their sweet time getting me outta there to grrrrrrr. Congrats to you on a healthy baby boy. Oh and DD passed meconium for about five or six days also I think it's normal she seems to be fine with it :LOL

User Tag List