DH's reactions to new baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2005, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...what was/is your dh's reaction to the new addition to your family?
Any amusing/happy/sad/frustrating/adorable Daddy stories?

My dh ADORES Coren and is amazed by him. I love to watch them interact! He misses him so much while he's at work and swore last night that Coren's hair grew a quarter inch and he looked older than he did before he left for work!

On day 2 or 3 I asked dh to hold Coren while I went to the bathroom. While in the bathroom (forgot to lock the door! ) all three older kids came in, were annoying each other (and me!) and I just wanted to pee in peace! :LOL I asked dh if he could help out and he said, "How do you expect me to take care of those three - I'm holding Coren!" ......."Ummmm, honey, you are capable of getting off the couch and walking around the house with Coren, your mouth and voice still work when you're holding Coren - and what do you think I'M going to be doing in a couple days when you go back to work, letting the older three destroy the house and each other while I sit and hold Coren?!? : :LOL " He somehow temporarily forgot how to function as a parent due to being mesmerized by his newborn son!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 PM

DH is a bit caught off guard still. It could be due to the fact that his mom is here and she holds the baby more than he does or our basement flooded and we're in the process of gutting it, then realized our water line is leaking into the basement (slowly didn't cause the flood) and we have to remove a tree from the front yard and we're planning a wedding for January!

I didn't mean to vent about all that, it's overwhelming.

DH holds Josie when she isn't crying and I think he's changed one diaper. I have kind of taken over in all areas. It's not because of him though, it's his mom, I have to explain to her during every diaper change how to put on a cloth dipe and it's easier to do it all myself. DH has woken up with me and then put her back to sleep when i'm finished nursing and changing, that is nice! And i know he adores her, you can see it in his eyes. Once his mom leaves I think he'll feel more comfortable about taking charge as dad. At least i hope so, he has stepped up with ds (he's the stepdad) making him lunch and taking him to school. It's nice to see them building a relationship.

Over all I think things are going well for him, except the house problems, and unfortunatly those problems take away a lot of the time he would have spent with Josie.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Sorry you're having so much stress Erin! Maybe it will ease up once mil leaves? Then you guys can get settled as a fam.

Ryan is so in love with his daughter! He has been the most amazing help to me. He changed her diaper the whole time in the hospital, and learned how to swaddle her. I think he's impressed himself, since he can swaddle her better than me! He calls her his little baby burrito. :LOL When he was home from work, he helped me just as much, and I miss being waited on now that he's back at work.

When she's fussing, she loves to curl up on Daddy's chest. I just love seeing their relationship develop.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:39 PM

LOL, yeah my DH seems to forget that his legs still function while he is sitting on the couch with Eva. I have to constantly remind him "Honey, how do you think I do it all day while you are at work?" I don't just sit on the couch and stare at the baby all day. ;-) You can get up and take care of the other child one-handed.

That said, he's not a big fan of the newborn phase, and Eva is having a very, very long one. She is just starting to smile every now and then and she will be 2 months old tomorrow. He likes it a lot better when they can interact with people. I honestly think he likes working because he gets a break that way. That's okay - he's a great dad to the two year old and there really isn't much he can do for the 2 month old (since all she wants these days is to nurse!).
Old 09-28-2005, 10:18 PM

We have decided dh was a nursing mom in a past life b/c he loves co-sleeping and wakes up every time the baby makes any noise and instintively snuggles the boys to his chest in his sleep. However, Liam is NOT a daddy's boy like his big brother Jake. No one may hold him but mommy, let alone try to give him fuzzy chest to sleep on. I'm going to suggest he sleep in the guest bed for a few nights w/ Jake so he at least can get some sleep. nak
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 PM

From the moment Emily was born she has had her Daddy wrapped around her little finger. He is completly in love. He still won't change her diaper since she has "different parts" but he will help out bathing her and after I feed her he snuggles her and puts her right to sleep. Her favorite place to nap is on Daddies chest but it still freaks Daddy out when she starts rooting :LOL I think he is still traumatized by the time ds#2 tried to latch on his chest in the middle of the night.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCass
From the moment Emily was born she has had her Daddy wrapped around her little finger. He is completly in love. He still won't change her diaper since she has "different parts" but he will help out bathing her and after I feed her he snuggles her and puts her right to sleep. Her favorite place to nap is on Daddies chest but it still freaks Daddy out when she starts rooting :LOL I think he is still traumatized by the time ds#2 tried to latch on his chest in the middle of the night.

:LOL I think I may have married his twin brother! Right down to the rooting LOL.

Dh has helped walk Ian at night and snuggles with him. He really enjoys playing with him too, he makes up some silly games like a 2 week old has any idea what hes doing lol. But I never say anything because its so cute to watch them together.

More entertaining to watch than Dh and Ian is one of my brothers and Ian. My brother despretly wants to get married have kids and he will sit and hold Ian and just stare and stare. He loves him soooo much. Makes me want to cry!

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart
He really enjoys playing with him too, he makes up some silly games like a 2 week old has any idea what hes doing lol.
sounds just like my DH! hes always playing with her and saying "look , she likes it"... and shes 18 days old

he has been really good abotu helping me with diapers and stuff, even in the middle of the nite, but he is driving me nuts about housework and stuff. everytime someone is gong to come over he wants us to make the house spotless - like i care about that right now! and if she gets too fussy he always wants me to lay her down and let her cry which is SO not how we have discussed parenting : i don't, but just that he suggests it is so frustrating. and he doesnt get that its okay to nurse just for comfort, he keeps saying 'how can she be hungry?'. sigh.
sorry about my typing, nak

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 09-29-2005, 11:30 AM

I have been very amazed at how quickly my husband adapted. He's never really been around a baby before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It was like the moment he held him for the first time he was a natural. He's been wonderful. So protective. So sweet with him. Talks to him, rubs his head, kisses him. He changes diapers without me even having to ask. He was also a huge help when I was learning to nurse. He's just been there for me all around, too which has been great. I had Riley on a Wed and he went back to work that next Mon and he cried. He then proceeded to call on his morning and lunch breaks. LOL! Anyway. He's just been in awe of him, and it's made this experience so great. I give major props to women who do this by themselves (ie single moms) because I can't imagine doing it alone. I love having someone to share it with!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:21 PM

He is SO in love with our little girl!!!!!!!!! I think he really enjoys telling her birth story, since he did catch her and everything LOL

He's been working late almost every day since he's gone back to work. He doesn't get to see her or Jack as much as he'd like too, but when I pass Kate off to him he brightens up! It's so sweet! He has wanted a girl for the longest time....and he's already wrapped around his finger too.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

User Tag List