Anyone else with a tall baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is just 28 days old and he was born at 23 inches.. we measured him last night and he is now 24.5!!!

This is a bit crazy.. his legs are too long for most of his outfits.. yet if I size him up hes too small otherwise... hes not a chubby baby hes thin! just tall... :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 10:46 AM

I totally understand that! My dd was born at 19.5 inches, and at 6 weeks old is 23 inches. She is skinny and TALL, so I won't subject her to swimming in outfits one size up, I just use outfits that are either two piece or have no feet. Though a few of her sleepers are still okay length wise.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM

Yep. dd was 21.5 inches at birth, and I haven't measured her since then, but she's two weeks old now, so I'm sure that she's grown. She's a little peanut, though, so her 0-3 month clothes are still too bulky on her. I've been putting her in no leg onesies, with a blanket wrapped around her legs and socks. Also, newborn size gowns. They seem to fit just right.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Coren was 22.25 inches (and 10 lbs 14 oz) at birth - he's 2 weeks now and I'm not sure what he measures (I'd say 12 lbs, 22.5 inches). He's a chubby baby with a long torso and short legs, so clothing him is an interesting feat! He doesn't fit into any 0-3 month clothes - except for pants (because of his short little legs!). He wears 3-6 month or 6-9 month onesies/rompers/one-piece outfits, although the one-piece outfits w/pants are always too long for his short legs. We fix this with a combination of rolling up the legs and putting his Soft Star shoes on him.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 10-03-2005, 01:47 PM

my baby is super tall she was the longest baby in the hospital. none of her clothes with feet fit her long legs. its crazy. shes a thin little thing too. so she needs to wear NB sized clothes but without the feet... shes not overly skinney or anything, just slim
<3,
nicole

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hi! Visiting from Nov ddc...

I was wondering if you guys notice a correlation between your long babies & you or your DP's height?? My MW thinks this baby feels super long, & my DP is 6'3" so it could be that this one is taking after him (I'm 5'7"). I wonder...

I like to blame DP for my discomfort in breathing, I tell him his big tall baby is in my lung again! :LOL

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande

I was wondering if you guys notice a correlation between your long babies & you or your DP's height?? My MW thinks this baby feels super long, & my DP is 6'3" so it could be that this one is taking after him (I'm 5'7"). I wonder...

I like to blame DP for my discomfort in breathing, I tell him his big tall baby is in my lung again! :LOL
Well, I'm 5'7", and dh is 5'11", so I don't think he's exceptionally tall. But, baby was tall anyway.

However if you feel the need to blame him for something I say, go right ahead!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:

All my kids were long except this last one. He was only 20 inches, which is short for my kids. Dh is 6'2 and I am 5'2. I get so big when I am pg because I have such long babies and I have a short torso :LOL

My kids I do have a hard time finding clothes that fit. Its not just as babies either. They stay tall. I can't use anything with feet which is hard because they kick their socks off and end up with cold purple toes .

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Wow, I was going to say yes b/c Dd is growing like crazy and busting out of the feet of her PJs, but I'm sure she's not that tall! She was 20.5 when she was born. I find out on Friday how tall she is now, but she grew an inch in the first 2 weeks.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Miles was only 19 inches long, but he must have grown, b/c his feet stretch the ends of all his footed clothes. But he doesn't even come close to filling them out width-wise. Who knows?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 AM

Since it was an OT comment, I just started a new thread.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I think height is genetics.. my dh is 6'3 I am only 5'2 my kids seem to take after him.. :LOL
Old 10-05-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm 5'3" and dh is 5'7" (not tall!) and I had a 22.25 inch baby this time around! Our others were 19.5 inches, 20.5 inches and 21 inches.

My OBs and MWs have assumed I was having big babies (except this time - go figure! :LOL ) because they FEEL long - my babes have long torsos and short legs, which makes them feel longer than they are!

Old 10-05-2005, 11:15 AM

Kate was born at 22 inches and yesterday I put her in something with feeties, she couldnt straighten her legs!!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 PM

my little one cant fit into anything with feet..shs too long. poor thing and her grandma bought her only clothes with feet. ughhhhhh....

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 10-05-2005, 04:27 PM

What size clothes do your tall babies wear?

Coren wears 3-6 month and some 6-9 month clothes (he's 2 weeks 4 days old!). A few pair of 0-3 month pants still fit (no feet!), but that's because he has a long torso and short legs. NO 0-3 month one-piece outfits fit (feet or not), and a some 3-6 month one-piece outfits don't fit either. He's also over 12 pounds now...probably around 22.5 or 23 inches.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:38 PM

We are still in 0-3 month clothes, with no feet, she is in a few 3-6 month outfits that have feet though. Poor baby looks like she is drowning in them, but she has plenty of leg room! I don't remember my other two growing so tall so quickly. Oh, as for the height thing, I am 5'4" and dh is 5'11" but his family seems to grow tall kids this generation. Go figure... I think the height thing skipped a generation with me. :LOL

Old 10-05-2005, 09:54 PM

For the height thing...my grandma was 5 foot 10 when she stopped growing (now she's 5 foot 8) but dh and I are both 5'7" and our babies were 21 and 22 inches.

Babies in my family are all over 20 inches...21 is actually the shortest

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 10-05-2005, 11:25 PM

About height - I thought I'd mention that my Dad's parents were both under 5 feet tall (his mom was 4'8", not sure about his Dad), my MIL, one grandMIL and one grandFIL are/were all about as tall as me, if not shorter, my maternal grandmother is my height ... the tallest person on either side (dh's or mine) is my FIL who is about 6 feet tall. Not many tall genes floating around here! My mom jokes that at family reunions on my Dad's side it looks like a munchkin reunion!

It will be interesting to see how tall our children are. At the moment my firstborn has hit the 0 percentile line ONCE in his life- he's usually under it. He's almost 7 and knows 5 year olds who are taller than him. I'm guessing my other two are relatively short, but haven't checked.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:16 AM

Well now I know! Dd is 22 3/8 inches at 5 weeks. She was 20 at birth.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Okay, so Eva was the first one born on the board, but I think she may still be the shortest! LOL At her two month appointment she was only 20.5 inches. She was 17 inches at birth. Seriously - she just outgrew the length in preemie clothes a short while ago.

She's not even on the growth chart for height. She is 25th percentile for weight, though. You all have long skinny babies - I've got a short, chubby one. ;-)

My first DD has always been around 75th percentile for height. I don't know if little Eva will ever catch up to that.

User Tag List