Toddler behavior due to new baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-03-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I posted in toddlers, but I thought I'd hit you gals up for some advice re: my toddler's behavior lately. Any ideas?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...48#post3872148
#2 of 9 Old 10-03-2005, 01:53 PM

Just wanted to write a quick note to say that I'm going through the same thing. Ds1 will be 3 in January. He wants me to pick him up all the time, especially when I can't and he has been waking up in the middle of the night needing me (whining/crying "I want Momeeee"). This is rather difficult to deal with when I am not able to put ds2 down or have someone else hold him. My dh just found out that he's going back to working A LOT at work, so I'm on the verge of getting depressed about the thought of putting ds1 to bed every night and hoping he doesn't wake up when ds2 is nursing. I should subscribe to your other thread and see what other people have to say. Better get going now-ds1 needs me.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#3 of 9 Old 10-03-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangela
Just wanted to write a quick note to say that I'm going through the same thing. Ds1 will be 3 in January. He wants me to pick him up all the time, especially when I can't and he has been waking up in the middle of the night needing me (whining/crying "I want Momeeee").
Another quick post, my 2 yo is doing the exact same thing, especially the night waking, which we've never had before. I don't have any solutions, just know that you're not alone. I'm trying to give Eli as much attention as I can... but its sooo hard!
#4 of 9 Old 10-03-2005, 05:21 PM

I'm totally there with you guys. DS (2 1/3 yo) is now bedhopping at night. Starts off in his bed, then goes to the "big bed" where DH is sleeping, then comes into my bed (the queen in DS2's room because I don't want to wake DH up with all the night nursing), and some nights wants me to sleep with him in his bed.

It's getting old fast. I just keep telling myself that "this too shall pass" but honestly, the 3-week old baby is currently a better sleeper than my 2yo -- at least the baby has a good 5-6 hour stretch at night!

I'm also trying to give him lots of mommy time, and I'm hoping that he'll settle down over the next few weeks. And yeah, he's also been fabulous with the "baby brudder" -- just hugs him and pats him on the back and holds his hand.
#5 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

WoW! I'm so glad I'm not alone!

Want to know the worst part? He won't make any decisions (as in say NO to everything now) so the one thing my dh loved (reading him books at bedtime) is falling apart too.

ETA: that sounded bad - my dh loves being a dad but really enjoyed spending the quality bedtime routine time every night with him.
#6 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 03:44 PM

I haven't gotten to read your thread, but I will say...so far...Jack's been the same as he was the last few weeks of the pregnancy. Which is a blessing and a curse. He LOVES his sister, but hates how much of mommies time she takes up. He also hates that we keep telling him to be quite. He seems to 'pipe up' just as she's falling asleep.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#7 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_mamamama
Want to know the worst part? He won't make any decisions (as in say NO to everything now) so the one thing my dh loved (reading him books at bedtime) is falling apart too.
Oh, we're so there as well! DS1 won't settle down with dad to read his bedtime books any more either. He just gets his teeth brushed and then comes out make me hand the baby over to DH and follow him to the bedroom for his bedtime snuggle.
#8 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Ds1 was naughty for a few days but we haven't had this sort of sleep issue; we all sleep together so ds1 doesn't have a chance to cry out. But, he now demands teletubbies and sesame street all the time. Which is upsetting b/c he throws a tantrum if we don't put it on. BUT he falls asleep to it, which is nice!

I am sure it will pass soon.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#9 of 9 Old 10-06-2005, 10:46 PM

We're right there with you. My 2 1/2 ds goes to sleep with dh, but when he wakes around 2, he wants mama, then usually comes to the big bed. It is too much to have the 4 of us in a queen bed. Some nights dh stays sleeping in ds twin bed. I just want to make sure somehow that the baby will become a better sleeper then my ds. Naptimes are also so hard. I lay down with him until the baby cries, then I have to go. Ds won't go to sleep alone. Today I just said forget about it after trying to get him to sleep for over an hour. I just don't want to force a nap with him anymore. Then of course he feel asleep on the couch later. I just tell myself that this won't last forever.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page