Least favorite mothering task? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I know we're all wonderful earth mamas, who love nurturing our babies and are willing to give them everything they need...having said that :LOL :

What's your least favorite task associated with mothering your little one?

I have to say, it's bathtime for me. Meilana does not like being naked and wet and I have to reassure her the whole time. I can't do it without dh either because she's a slippery little one! She needs a bath tonight, since it's been almost a week! : : BAD MAMA...I know! C'mon, how dirty are newborns, really? I make sure to clean her really good during diaper changes, but yes, it's time for a bath. Gotta clean out all those little rolls... :LOL Maybe it will be easier once this cord stump falls off (yes, 14 days, still hanging on strong!) Then I can use her little tub and get her really clean.
#2 of 12 Old 10-03-2005, 03:13 PM

I gave my little one a bath even before his stump fell off - infact, I gave him two of them. I don't buy that it is bad for the stump even though the ped says to do sponge baths. It didn't seem to bother either of my sons.

As far least favorite thing to do - dress the baby. He screams bloody murder when I change his clothes or his diaper. He hates to be naked. He kicks and wiggles so much that it is hard to dress him.
#3 of 12 Old 10-03-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfry
She needs a bath tonight, since it's been almost a week! : : BAD MAMA...I know!
nak
okay if you are a bad mama then i am totally neglectful because greer was born on 9/13 and has never had a bath ever!

i have been meaning to do it though. 2 ways that are easier imo are (1) taking the baby in the tub with you and (2) taking the baby in the shower with you. the way we do it you need 2 parents present--1 in the tub/shower and the other outside to get the baby ready and hand him/her in and to take the baby out. i have also heard of people using shower slings.
#4 of 12 Old 10-03-2005, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
nak
okay if you are a bad mama then i am totally neglectful because greer was born on 9/13 and has never had a bath ever!

i have been meaning to do it though. 2 ways that are easier imo are (1) taking the baby in the tub with you and (2) taking the baby in the shower with you. the way we do it you need 2 parents present--1 in the tub/shower and the other outside to get the baby ready and hand him/her in and to take the baby out. i have also heard of people using shower slings.
My friend let me borrow her mesh sling...I may try using it to bring her in the shower with me. Still, I don't think I could get her squeaky clean in a sling, with all her cute little rolls...

oh, and :LOL thanx for making me feel less neglectful...
#5 of 12 Old 10-04-2005, 02:45 PM

There honestly isn't a thing that I mind doing...I just feel so blessed to have this little one that all aspects of mothering him are joyful!

I LOVE bathing Coren because he LOVES the water. (We don't use any soap - just water.) He actually will fall asleep in the shower or tub...I take him in with me. I put a few towels on the floor, the top towel spread out, making a cozy "bed" for him and lay him on it near the bathtub. I shower, then take him in and wash him. I lay him back in the towel "bed" and wrap him in the top towel. For a bath, I do the same thing, except I wash him first, float him in the water for a while (he completely relaxes and often falls asleep) and then put him in/on the towels.

Bathing frequency - usually around once a week...I do wipe him down when he spits up, etc. Haley was 3 or 4 weeks old before she had her first bath

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#6 of 12 Old 10-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Bath time here is fun too! Thank GOODNESS, Jack hated his bath, I think he was 3 weeks when he had his 2nd bath (hospital birth, had one there) then not again until he was about 9 or 10 weeks (eek!)

As for Kate...it's finally happend..well not finally. The poor thing was up from 11 until about 30 minutes ago now. I ate breakfast at 9, and was STARVING, I'd been trying to rock her to sleep, pat her back until she fell asleep, nurse her to sleep. She wasn't hungry, patting her back while in her bassinet wasn't doing anything...and rocking, each time she got close, Jack would come bounding out of his room saying "mommy" in his not so quiet voice. Each time she'd jolt awake.

So...I put her in her swing, which she was ok with while I made up a quick lunch....but then she started crying....I was almost done....so I kept eatting, reassuring her when my mouth was empty for 2 seconds...and she cried herself to sleep! I HATE THAT! I feel so bad for her, but she's asleep, in her padded swing seat...comfy as can be. She's done that in the car before too, always on the highway! She cries for 5-7 minutes then she's out for 20-30 (in the car) but she's never cried herself to sleep at home before. I am so upset I could die! Poor baby!

But I had to eat.

So I guess "putting myself first" on occasion is one thing I hate about mothering and the other would be trying to get her to sleep when I'm tired...I tend to get frusterated, and always feel awful for it, though I never do anything stupid. I just end up trying something else, and I know the more stressed I am, the longer it's going to take..which makes me even more stressed LOL

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#7 of 12 Old 10-04-2005, 04:01 PM

Not having to do with the new baby the least fav mothering task is cleaning out ds3's poopy diapers. I have no idea what the kid eats to make him smell that way! :LOL And he poops like 6 times a day! And really the worst part is the back pain from bending over.

With the new baby the worst mothering task would have to be cleaning out his toes and hands from the lint :LOL . He hates it and its really hard to get between those little toes or get his fists open. How can a 3 week old get so much in his hands? Even my 18 mos old doesn't get dirty hands like that.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#8 of 12 Old 10-04-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
There honestly isn't a thing that I mind doing...I just feel so blessed to have this little one that all aspects of mothering him are joyful!
OK...thaanx for making the rest of us look bad! :LOL
#9 of 12 Old 10-05-2005, 12:29 AM

Lisa--I am curious how the sling works out for you. I hve wondered if it's hard to wash the baby in a sling too. I actually have a sling made out of solarveil fabric, which is a mesh, but I have never tried it in the shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart
Not having to do with the new baby the least fav mothering task is cleaning out ds3's poopy diapers. I have no idea what the kid eats to make him smell that way! :LOL And he poops like 6 times a day! And really the worst part is the back pain from bending over.
This thing makes it so you don't have to bend over to get the poop off the dipes:
www.pottypail.com

For folks who don't want to buy this potty pail, some people over on the diapering board have fashioned their own by cutting the bottom out of big plastic bucket with a saber saw. If you buy the actual potty pail they send you a drip tray like you would put under a large houseplant for setting the bucket in when not in use. I recommend getting one of these.
#10 of 12 Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Lisa--I am curious how the sling works out for you. I hve wondered if it's hard to wash the baby in a sling too. I actually have a sling made out of solarveil fabric, which is a mesh, but I have never tried it in the shower.
I have the same sling, with the solarveil fabric...I haven't used it in the shower yet. I broke down last night and gave her a bath. She smells so yummy today and her hair's all fuzzy and clean. Let me know if you use the sling in the shower. It sounds like it might have to be a two person job.

Quote:
This thing makes it so you don't have to bend over to get the poop off the dipes:
www.pottypail.com

For folks who don't want to buy this potty pail, some people over on the diapering board have fashioned their own by cutting the bottom out of big plastic bucket with a saber saw. If you buy the actual potty pail they send you a drip tray like you would put under a large houseplant for setting the bucket in when not in use. I recommend getting one of these.
How cool is that?! I'm definitely going to look into getting (or making) one as soon as I get my cd's.
#11 of 12 Old 10-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Greer finally got a bath today! Will let you know if I try the solarveil sling. I am not that talented of a ring sling user, so I might wait til she has more ability to hold up her head to give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfry
How cool is that?! I'm definitely going to look into getting (or making) one as soon as I get my cd's.
It is cool!!!! I think it makes dealing with nasty poopy diapers much nicer. While the baby is exclusively bf I don't remove poop from the diapers. I just throw it all in the washer. When the baby starts eating solids the poo gets thicker and stinkier and then I do remove it. For a long time I scraped it off the diaper with a plastic scraper from the hardware store. Then I wiped the scraper of with a bit of TP, then washed it with soap and water in the sink. I did this for many months. To me this is less gross than dunking, but to each her own, you know. Scraping leaves some solids on the dipe. I would spray these with diluted bi-o-kleen bac out that I keep in a spray bottle, then throw the diaper in the diaper pail.

Then when my son was a year and a half I broke down and got a mini-shower. I got mine from softclothbunz.com. I don't know if this is the cheapest place. Some people figure out how to make their own minishower, but unfortunately DP and I weren't that talented. :LOL But basically, it's just a kitchen sink sprayer that attaches to the water supply from the toilet tank. Lots of people are perfectly happy with just a minishower, but I like to use the potty pail along with it because it is less messy and you don't have to stoop. Before I had the potty pail I kept a little stool in the bathroom so I could sit on it while "processing" my diapers.
#12 of 12 Old 10-06-2005, 07:17 PM

i would have to say that the least favorite thing for me is ANYTHING at 3 in the morning!! :LOL why do nights go so fast?

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page