baby girl still not gaining wieght - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2005, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to the Dr. today to be wheighed and dd was still 6lbs 6ozshe hasn't gained back anything although she has grown an inch I don't get it she is never fussy she nurses great what the heck is going on. Dr says well come back in two more weeks and we will wiegh her again. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-06-2005, 05:05 PM

It can take up to three weeks for a baby to regain their birthweight, though two weeks is more typical.

If I were you, I would make an appointment with an IBCLC. I wouldn't go another two weeks. If there is a problem (latch, milk supply, etc) it is much better to catch it and work on it sooner rather than later.

How often does she nurse? Very often a laid-back baby needs to be reminded to nurse frequently. She should nurse a minimum of 8-12 times in a 24 period. And honestly, I would suggest more often if she is not gaining weight at this point. Do your breasts feel full? And do you think she is trasferring milk effectively? Your breasts should feel softer when she is done.
#3 of 4 Old 10-06-2005, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

See thats why I am confused by this her latch is awesome with the occasional lips tucked in but I fix that right away she is going through 12+ diapers a day and nursing every 2 1/2 to three hours with a double up session at night before bed. She dosen't act hungry or unsatisfied and I can feel my let down and can tell when she has pretty much empptied one side and it's time to switch. It does have me a bit concerned but both of us have been fighting off a cold for the past week maybe that has something to do with it.
#4 of 4 Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 AM

It could be the cold, but I would still make an appointment with an IBCLC to really make sure everything else is fine.

Let us know how things go.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page