Day & Night Mixed Up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't figure this new babe out. And I can't figure if I'm just sleep deprived or if ds1 was like this too (no, wait, he wasn't). I mean, heck, he's only 5.5 weeks old, but he seems to have such a hard time with sleeping at night. It's almost as if he thinks night runs from 2PM to 3AM and then day is 3AM to 2 PM. He's the oddest thing and it's starting to get very tiresome! I just can't hack these 3am wake ups and then not going back to sleep for 1-2 hours, no matter what I do to make him happy! He totally falls asleep eating, but then there is no putting him down until he basically just wears both of us out.

So, am I alone here? Is this normal? When will it stop? How do I get it to stop? And what do you all do when you've tried it all and they still fuss and cry??
#2 of 8 Old 10-09-2005, 02:25 AM

Sounds JUST like Samantha. We even get a 6 hour stretch of sleep..from about 6am til noon! But alas, I have a 3yr old whose day start about 9am.
I would LOVE some advice!!
#3 of 8 Old 10-10-2005, 09:51 AM

Meilana did this for a few days in a row. It was that 2-3 AM feeding. I found that giving her some Mylicon for gas and NOT burping her after the feeding kept her sleeping. When she did wake up, I cradled her in my arms, sat indian style on the bed and swayed back and forth. She seems to like this motion, and fell asleep. I'm not sure if you co-sleep or not, but I think that helps. All I have to do is lay her down right next to me, so there's not a lot of traveling and she stays sleeping. HTH!

Fortunately, for the past two nights she has been sleeping great between feedings...let's hope this lasts...
#4 of 8 Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 PM

Making sure the most light is during normal day light hours helped us. So did co-sleeping in the bedroom (was using the tV in the living room for the first week for night nursing)

I don't change her diaper at night unless she's poopy, and I give her mylicon to keep from having to burp her at night.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#5 of 8 Old 10-10-2005, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yep, do a a maintenence only night routine. Keep the light low or do without if you can. Resist the urge to play with your baby at night. As their personality emerges and you do the fun stuff like play and massage during the day, they will get the idea.
#6 of 8 Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

[babe in arms] i don't even make eye contact at night! lol he's been better the last couple of nights...the trick last night was getting him before he really woke up; the problem is that he is soooooo noisy while he sleeps that i'm afraid i'm jumping the gun and actually waking him up more!!
#7 of 8 Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM

I tried the gas drops the past 2 nights, and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU gas drops makers!!!! :LOL Although, I almost freaked when she didn't burp. but now I see its normal!
#8 of 8 Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 PM

LOL Katt! I know that if she's asleep, she isn't going to burp, and patting her back is just keeping her asleep even better!! LOL So I have given up fully on burping at night UNLESS, she will sometimes take in HUGE gulps of air, which I immediatly have to burp outo f her or she'll vomit everywhere!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page