Baby rash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm alittle concerned about dd's rash, it's not dipe related. It's on her baby double chin, neck back and now chest. It doesn't seem to hurt her, but it'ss getting worse. It started out looking like little pimples so I'm thinking baby acne, but now the spots have formed red patches of pimples. I guess I'm just wondering if it is just baby acne? do I need to worry and what should I put on it, if anything? We've been using Aveeno Lavender baby wash and lotion, I have the birts bees sampler should I switch to that? Or should I call the Dr?

I forget how many things I don't know about babies! DS was so straight forward, I never had any weird things with him...

TIA for any info!
#2 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 12:55 PM

nak

my dd had a red patch of pimples on her arm for a few days and it just disappeared after I let it air out. I had been putting her in long sleeve onesies and switched to ss. I'm assuing it was just baby acne, but it might have been heat related. Could your dd have a small heat rash? What is she wearing at night?

i know that's not much help...hope you figure it out!
#3 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 01:03 PM

nak - my ds has that as well. i think its baby acne. try wiping her down and then patting her dry. a couploe of times seems to really help

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#4 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 04:10 PM

I'd also try taking her off the lavender stuff, and go for unscented hypoallergenic. A lot of scents can trigger skin reactions.
#5 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 04:28 PM

My DS had what I thought was baby acne on his cheeks and scalp. It spread to his neck and shoulders too. It was also red. The rash cleared up and the skin turned very dry and scaley. It turns out that he has eczema! I'm currently working on how to make it better but I'd definitely recommend cutting out any perfumed soap (which generally includes most baby soaps). You could even just wash him in plain water or use a little bit of Dr Bronner's soap on the really dirty bits.
#6 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 05:45 PM

If it's eczema, then think about cutting out common allergens from your diet.

DS1 had dry colourless patches on his legs; it turned out to be eczema caused by dairy in my diet. I cut out dairy, and his legs cleared up.
#7 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Coren has a nice combo going - his face and neck are sensitive to any detergents or soaps - so we just wash them with water (and his clothes, etc. w/ baking soda and a vinegar rinse). He also has baby acne, a bit of eczema and on top of that gets heat rash and seems to be sensitive to certain fabrics. At least we ruled out food allergies, as his face cleared up on the day I almost completley aired it out (did my best not to have anything against his face all day - what a chore!).

I"d say lay off any cleansers and just wash with water.

A friend said arrowroot works well as a treatment for baby acne/eczema.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#8 of 10 Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I don't use any soap on Miles and he has this too. I think it is normal skin adjustment and contact with puke, clothes, etc. Ds1 had it too and it went away.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#9 of 10 Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I gave Josie an Oatmeal bath and the redness cleared up dramatically! There are only a few red bumps left, but nothing like it was. I used the Aveeno stuff, but I'm sure there's a home recipe for this somewhere. i'd highly recomend it, I felt so bad when her skin was so red and irritated!
#10 of 10 Old 10-30-2005, 03:37 AM

I second the soap and babys thing, you really dont' need any soap on a baby. Also, it could be your laundry detergent and/or fabric softener.

My dd had a rash for almost a year on her cheeks, i tried all these things, changing diet etc.. only to find out it was the dryer sheets I was using on the bedsheets.

So if you are using a regular detergent, (ie not a natural non/scented laundry detergent) then try using less, and try doing a double rinse when you wash baby clothes and/or diapers. Don't use any fabric softener, dryer sheets or liquid and see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page