Nursing While Pregnant Mommies--Check In - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 02-09-2005, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering who is nursing while PG with their October '05 baby?

Dd is still nursing like 5 times a day. My breasts are not sore yet, but I don't feel the letdown like I used to. Is this normal? I feel like my breasts should be sore like they were with dd.

congrats!

B

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 02-09-2005, 06:32 PM

I'm nursing Lochlan. I plan on weaning him during the pregnancy though. He just turned 2 in December.

Aisling
#3 of 31 Old 02-09-2005, 07:31 PM

Nursing here a lot during the day. We just night weaned though. My nipples are very sore. I am planning on weaning but not very soon.
#4 of 31 Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 PM

Yay - I'm so glad to see this thread. Jude is 18 months and nowhere close to being ready to wean.
#5 of 31 Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Oh yeah i forgot to say that my nipples are sore. and he nurses whenever he wants, plus first thing in the morning (like 5 or 6 am, whenever he first wakes up then we sleep a bit longer).

aisling
#6 of 31 Old 02-09-2005, 08:02 PM

Another nursing mama checking in here. Ds nurses a few times a day and sometimes needs to nurse in the middle of the night, but sometimes doesn't. I have worked it out with him to stop "twiddling" because I am a little more sensitive right now, but I don't imagine he will stop anytime soon. I have tandem nursed dd and ds and I imagine I will tandem nurse ds and the new baby as well. I think it is normal that your nipples might be a little more desensitized at this point, and I think that not feeling your let down is normal as well. I feel less let down as my kids grow older and nurse less, even when not pregnant.
#7 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 12:51 AM

Another nursing mama here! Joey just turned a year old last Monday and I am hoping to nurse him for as long as he wants. All of my children are close in age, but I have never been able to tandem nurse or even nurse past the first trimester. Seems as if I have a supply problem while pregnant, but perhaps this will be the baby that changes that! No real breast soreness to report, but I usually don't have too many issues with breast pain during pregnancy. Joey is only nursing 4-5 times a day now and still gets up a couple of times a night. Wish I could convince him to nurse when the sun is up! Looking forward to sharing this experience with all of you!

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#8 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 01:55 AM

Me too! Ds is 18 months and is nursing once or twice at night and 3 or 4 times during the day. It will be interesting to see how this relationship will change as my milk dries up. Meanwhile I am really thankful that I am not sore yet! Of course now that I say that I am probably in for it tomorrow It is just that you hear so many stories of how painful it is. Those with previous experience, did you have a hard time nursing while pregnant or does the pain or discomfort really vary between people?
#9 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 09:48 AM

count us in. I still nurse my 2 year old. I just started getting extremly sore a few days ago. So far though, no other problems. I am curious to see how this will pan out - I am happy to nurse him as long as he wants and I am able.

What a great thread, thanks!
#10 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 11:43 AM

I'm nursing my dd only once a day now. She is 25 months and shows no sign of giving up that last nursing, though! It is very painful but I'm figuring I can handle it since it's only the one time. does the pain get better in the second tri?
#11 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 03:08 PM

My sweet girl is 19 mos...I am feeling a difference in supply but not enough to worry about...going to eat oatmeal everyday to try to maintain...I hope to tandem...didn't do that before...

baby still nurses on demand but I am working on limiting a wee bit. She's pretty good and had never been a constant nurser...she's a big meal eater..very efficient and then off to do her thing...LOL...my nipples were real sore at beginning but not so bad now...still sore on latch sometimes but we are working around it.

Yesterday after she finished nursing she kissed the nipple and said "thank you mooch"

I am so looking forward to another one...
#12 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 04:45 PM

I'm nursing my 22 mo. He still nurses at LEAST 3 or 4 times a night and probably about 6 or so times during the day. I'm having to put some serious limits, espescially on night nursing as I am having excruciating breast pain
I think I'm going to work on night weaning and hopefully that will make the daytime nursings a little more bearable. I never really imagined myself to be tandem nursing, so we're just gonna take things one day at a time.
#13 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lily nurses about 4 times a day, and who knows how often at night.

Grace was 31 months old and I was 6 months pregnant with Lily when she weaned. I lost my milk about 4.5 months, so I assume Lily will wean around then as well.
#14 of 31 Old 02-10-2005, 08:32 PM

Nursing my almost 19 month old, no end in site over here It is a bit more challenging, that's for sure! A little touched out, but I'm sure (or hope!) it will pass soon!
#15 of 31 Old 02-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Tandem nursing my two littlest here. Nipples aren't sore at all, and supply still great. I expect that like my last pregnancy, I'll lose my milk at about 20 weeks.

Good luck to all you nursing mamas!
#16 of 31 Old 02-12-2005, 08:16 AM

I'm still nursing ds who turns 2 today . He's been wanting his milkie more than ever lately. It is painful at times, mostly when he latches on. It's better if we're laying down though, I guess the positioning is better somehow. I'm thinking of possibly night weaning, as between the insomnia, getting up to pee and his nursing a lot throughout the night, I'm very tired! I don't know, he's really been wanting the milkie though so maybe I would get even less sleep if I try to do the night weaning. I'm just going to play it by ear and keep nursing for now. If I try nightweaning in the near future and he doesn't seem ready to follow that lead, I won't push him.

Onlyboys, I had a feeling over on the TTA thread that you were pregnant. Congratz .

#17 of 31 Old 02-12-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi worldshakerz! So much for avoiding, huh? :LOL
#18 of 31 Old 02-12-2005, 05:42 PM

Help me ladies!!
I'm still nursing my 17 month old, I don't want to wean just yet, because she's still a bit young and she's obviously not ready.
I've put a stop to all nipple tweaking and she is furious! I have to put my hand over my other nipple, to save it from excruciating pain!
When she nurses, it hurts sooooooo bad. I swear, it's worse than when we had thrush!
I'm wondering if it's a latch issue ontop of the pregnancy breasts.
I think I'm about 5 weeks along, and the breast pain started less than a week ago. [It's what prompted me to test!]
She's getting frustrated with my attitude, and so am I!
What can I do to help make this more bearable?
Does the pain end soon, or does this continue the entire pregnancy?!

Anyway, I'm Rachael, mom to Eva, just found out on the 11th. My boyfriend doesn't know yet, I plan on framing a picture of the positive for his Valentine's Gift. The secret is killing me!!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#19 of 31 Old 02-13-2005, 08:47 PM

still nursing my dd, who just turned 1 last weekend.

i have nipple pain while nursing, it seems worse when she latches on. she is also really into the nursing gymnastics thing, and she often will yank herself off the boob while nursing, which doesnt help the pain much . she nurses quite often during the day, and 2-4 times at night. she was going longer stretches at night before but i guess thats a thing of the past.

im hoping to continue to nurse through pregnancy. im trying to do some reading on the subject (cant seem to find time to open a book, though : ) to prepare myself.
#20 of 31 Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

wow, looks like there's a lot of us.

I feel for those with pain, I don't have any, for what ever reason. kind of makes me nervous, but maybe it's coming down the road.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#21 of 31 Old 02-14-2005, 12:01 AM

I don't know if it is comforting or not to know that my pain came on suddenly around 6 weeks or so. And boy does it hurt! yikes ... I hope it is a passing thing
#22 of 31 Old 02-15-2005, 02:39 PM

DS is (2) and nursing and I am 7 weeks pregnant. Nipples are sore but I do not plan to wean him, unless he wants to.
#23 of 31 Old 02-15-2005, 04:23 PM

Still night nursing my 2.5 year old DS. I've never heard that milk dries up during pregnancy. Always? Only in some? I had hoped to tandem, if DS is still wanting it.

I do have "pins and needles" type pain occasionally when he nurses, but nothing extreme, and luckily, nothing continuous! We're only 6 weeks along, and hope that it doesn't change!

swngrrl
#24 of 31 Old 02-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Add me to the list!
I just found out yesterday but I am thinking I am 5 weeks. DS is 13 months and nurses whenever he wants which is almost all of the time at home! LOL
I have had some nipple pain but only while he is latching on. I am looking forward to next few months. It wil busy around here, this will be baby #4!
#25 of 31 Old 02-16-2005, 06:37 PM

i am tandem nursing my 4yo ds and 20 month old dd - obviously, i nursed through my last pregnancy as well. i'm not planning on weaning, but i suspect ds will wean by the time my milk dries up (happened at around 16-18 weeks last time). he's nursing very infrequently as it is - less than once a week, if that. i will probably work on night weaning dd soon though - i'm exhausted already and my nipples already are sore.
#26 of 31 Old 02-16-2005, 06:40 PM

augustmom, don't be nervous about the lack of breast pain - i didn't have any when i was nursing through my last pregnancy until the last couple of weeks. i already have nipple soreness this time, and i only found out yesterday. just goes to show that every pregnancy is different!
#27 of 31 Old 02-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Nursing and newly pregnant here! I'm not too sensitive yet but do feel some agitation when she nurses for a long time. This morning she told me that my milk tastes different, but so far, she doesn't seem to mind.
#28 of 31 Old 02-17-2005, 02:12 PM

Some days the pain is worse when he is nursing than others. Liek today. And I feel like complaining. ow ow ow.

aisling
#29 of 31 Old 02-21-2005, 08:56 PM

I just found out today that I am pregnant...and I am nursing my 7 month old. I am very, very concerned about loosing my milk in the next few months (I am guessing I am about 5 weeks along) as my milk is my dd main source of nutrition and should be until she is a year or so....So I don't know what to do if I loose my milk before she is a year old!!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#30 of 31 Old 02-22-2005, 01:57 AM

I'm in here too! There are a lot of nursing pg mama's!! I think I am around 5 weeks pg I will continue nursing dd (22mos) but I am hoping she will wean : I barely have the pateince for it right now, the nipple pain is unbearable . I feel selfish but it's how I feel right now...this could change, I guess but I really don't think I'm into the tandem-ing!

youngnhappymamma~you might not lose your milk and if you do...isn't it around 20weeks that it happens? Don't feel guilty about it, you might have to supplement for a little while. Talk to your ped about what to do! Sorry, I don't know if that helped.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page