have you started thinking about names yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2005, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband and I must be wackos. We talk about baby names when we arent even expecting! So when we know we are pregnant, we start talking about it immediately and on a regular basis.

My current favorites:
Girl names:
Magdalene Sophia (Maddie)
Felicity Fallon
Gemma Florence
Serenity
Clara Elizabeth
Victoria

Boy names:
Archie Alexander (Archie or Alex)
Samuel Houston (Sam)
William Gresham Machen (Will or Gresham)
Peter Marshall (either one)
Christopher Jack (Chris)

My husband pushed for John Archibald last time, and I was so glad it didnt get through! I have submitted to Archie, but he just wont let up. He is convinced it is distinguished, and I am convinced it is loathsome. His second favorite is Gresham.

He would like Felicity, MercyAnne, Hope, Prudence, Constance, etc. for girls names.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea...could be another name the baby on it's birthday again...we just don't agree on names...it's the only thing we don't agree on
Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 PM

We have, we have!

We have had our names picked out for almost a year. I don't know if that means we are more or less likely to stick with our choice.

Boy name (what I think we'll need): Simon
Girl name: June

Whaddaya think?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 PM

EmoMom, I definitely like Gresham better than Archie myself. I really like Serenity for a girl.

Bookworm, those are both cute names. Beware on the name June...you're child will most likely be teased! This is coming from experience, being named April myself. I hated the teasing but love my name now.

The names that we both like and have agreed on are:
Boy - Cullin William
Girl - Abigail Jordan

Old 02-22-2005, 12:50 AM

Started talking about names the day we found out

For a girl its either Cassandra Riley or Callasandra Riley. My mother's name is Sandra and and his mother's maiden name is Riley. We'd call her either Cassie or Callie. I like Callasandra for its uniqueness, but also wonder if its -too- unique.

For a boy, no idea yet.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:08 AM

I can't imagine what is going to make us agree on a boy's name. For girls, I am leaning heavily toward Anna.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:02 AM

Thought about them...yes! Since our first we have had a running list of names that we like They do change with each baby though so the list may not be good for this one. We have also named our babies on their birthdays...we have always brought the books into the birth rooms with us and talked and thought about it between contractions...then a final decision made after birth!

Some names...boy Jeremy & girl Margaret (Maggie)
Old 02-22-2005, 02:23 AM

i'm thinking Maeve Elizabeth for a girl - no clue on biys names (which, I think, pretty much assures that i'm having a boy :LOL
Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
we decided on the names a few days after we found out we were pregnant at the west edmonton mall waterpark actually...laying on the beach chairs in the sun. it was awesome.

actually i lied.
i woke up the next morning not liking the names (LOL) so we changed them to the names we originally liked. and i definitely feel at peace about them.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 02-22-2005, 01:07 PM

Maeve is a nice name, Jeri! So classic, but you don't hear it every day!
Old 02-22-2005, 02:02 PM

We have a boys name that was selected well before I got pregnant - Matthias Lee (8 letter boys name that starts with an M, goes with my pattern...) Lee is my brother-in-law's middle name.

As for girls names we are looking at either A names or M names. Usually we don't really have to think about girls names though. LOL So far we like Ainsley, Aurelia, Aaralyn, and Danica (I know it doesnt start with A or M but its pretty). And Margaret if we want to go with the 8 letter thing. Or Madeline (but im not sure how we would spell it). Or Maeve (one of my favorite Irish girls names, along with Aine). And without a doubt if we have a girl her middle name will be Elizabeth, which is my motherinlaw & grandmotherinlaws middle names but mil didn't ever have a girl to pass it to.

aisling
Old 02-22-2005, 02:53 PM

I am glad that I am not the only crazy one - - I started thinking about it before we were pregnant. We have not decided on a name, but we have discussed a few. For religious purposes, we name after the dead. And I really loved my grandma (Sonia) so I would like to use the letter S. For girls I have come up with Samantha, and Sofia. For boys I have come up with Sam. We can also use the letter D, L or J. So here is my laundry list: Liza, Lacy, Jessica, Jesse, Drew, David, Jacob, Jordan. Obviously my dh and I have a lot more discussing to do.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:56 PM

we dont agree. we never agree on names. we kept throwing out names the first time, with dd, but just when one of liked something alot, the other decided it was icky. and then once we had our names (Dalli, girl, Ace, boy) we made the huge mistake of telling family and friends....sheesh. that was a mess. we really heard it. my mother has the intellect of grade school bully, and she actually would chime out dumb little rhyming nicknames making fun of our names. sometimes I dont know why i actually keep calling her back.

we kinda regret not using Dalli, so we may stick with that for a girl's name..maybe spell it different. we also like Bennett (well, dh does, he likes 'Benny' really, but i am not on board for that one ) i like Enzo, Siruis, Odean, Corben, Ridley, Neo, ...problem is with our extremely short last name, those names dont really sound right.

girls, also considering Minnie, Ezra, Camille, Daphney.....but most of the girl names seem to 'cutesy'...but we never know i guess till we are looking at that baby....

open to suggesting and stealing others good names, though :LOL
Old 02-22-2005, 05:09 PM

MelMel- Ever think of Dalia instead of Dalli? I like that name a lot.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray&me
MelMel- Ever think of Dalia instead of Dalli? I like that name a lot.

thats nice, too. maybe a bit too 'flowery'....something about adding vowels that makes a name a bit TOO cutesy for me

I like Murray, though gunna run that by the dh today :LOL
Old 02-22-2005, 06:41 PM

Dh wants Aidan, and cares not that it is #2 on the SS registries right now. I don't want it anymore. We may have to start from scratch or something.

A girl would be Madeleine Duffy or Chloe Teresa, we'd have to see her first.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:12 PM

Hi!

Emomom~ I really like Magdalene Sophia , Hope, and Gresham!

Eclipse~ Maeve is such a pretty name!

MelMel~ Siruis & Corben are on our maybe list too. I hear you about telling your family names early. Ever boy name I've told my Mom, she makes fun of and criticizes it! I don't know if I'm going to tell her what we decide.

We started looking at names years ago, seriously. Girl names are easy, I like earthy, hippie name, the only problem is we have a "family tradition" that every other generation, the first girl is names Catherine Elizabeth. It OK, but so formal. We might make that middle names, two middle names, I know...
But right now I really like Violet for a first name, but we'll have to see how Mom feels about that. Boys names are hard, I want something unique and all the hippish names I like are kind of girlie. I think we are going to find out the sex of the baby, so we can decide more then.

*erin*
#1 due Oct.29

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Old 02-23-2005, 11:34 AM

I think about this all the time now that I'm pg, dh says We've got plenty of time. We have a list but none of them are mutually agreed upon. For a boy, I like Gabriel, Nathan, and Benjamin (he doesn't like any of those). For a girl, I like Allana and Lea.

p.s. I vote for Serenity or Serena for Emomom, can't use it myself because we didn't want the initials to be SS
Old 02-23-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim
Dh wants Aidan, and cares not that it is #2 on the SS registries right now. I don't want it anymore.
see, i love Aidan too - but i just can't do it with how popular it's gotten!
Old 02-23-2005, 03:34 PM

but I just picked up a new book (released this month) called "The baby name wizard". It isn't a dictionary which is great. It gives historical trends and groups names into styles, suggests sibling names, etc. I'm addicted to reading it, and we are not even pregnant again!

The author has a website and a blog, if you are interested: http://www.babynamewizard.com/

Good luck! October babies ROCK!!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:43 PM

I was just coming on to post this: Fun gizmo from the baby name wizard site

Great minds!

Jess
Old 02-28-2005, 01:56 PM

We're still love the girl's name we had picked out if DS was a girl....Reese. The spelling is up in the air whether it is Reece or Rhys or Reese....I think those are all the choices. Now we want to come up with a girly middle name.
Boys names I have nothing! I find those the hardest....I still like Ryker but DH doesn't like it at all...I'll have to work on him! haha!
We have very different opinions when it comes to names also...
Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonsmama
We're still love the girl's name we had picked out if DS was a girl....Reese. The spelling is up in the air whether it is Reece or Rhys or Reese....I think those are all the choices. Now we want to come up with a girly middle name.
I like Reese. I believe Reece and Rhys are more masculine spellings, espcially Rhys.

The BNW has the following as good brother names to Reese (maybe these would be good boy name choices):

Rylan
Carter
Finn
Greyson
Tate
Quinn
Pierce
Drake
Brody
Old 03-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks Tiffany! I was thinking Reese with an "s" too because at least there is Reese Witherspoon out there so people will more then likely assume that is how it's spelt. I like different but not too different.

If it is a girl she will have a brother and my DS's name is Carson....close to Carter. Funny but Dh suggested Carter last night...I told him not likely...Carter and Carson are too close for me!

User Tag List