What are you reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-11-2005, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister just sent me Spiritual Midwifery (Ina May Gaskin) and I am loving it. It's a compilation of birth stories (mostly home births) and also includes information on prenatal care, labor, and even a technical manual for midwives. I have really enjoyed reading the birth stories and will probably re-read them later when I am closer to birth. They are really empowering.

What's everyone else reading?
#2 of 23 Old 04-11-2005, 01:20 PM

To be honest, nothing, : but in the past I have read (and loved):

Ina May's Guide
Pregnancy Childbirth and the Newborn
The Birth Partner
Birthing From Within
The Birth Book
Spiritual Midwifery
Shelia Kitzinger's book
Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

I'd recommend all of the above to anyone who wants to read good pregnancy/birth books.

I'm sure I'll start reading again soon. I become voracious for birth literature when I am pregnant.
#3 of 23 Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 PM

I haven't read to much yet. Last pregnancy I was reading "What to Expect When Your Expecting" which had some good info, but just tending to make me paranoid. I read "Spiritual Midwifery" and loved it.

This time so far I've reading "Birthing From Within" and "Active Birth". The latter really gives great info on good positions to use in labor and delivery. I ordered "Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth" but they are out of stock so I'm going to the store to get it soon.

#4 of 23 Old 04-11-2005, 06:56 PM

I had been reading copies of The prgenancy book and The birth book by Sears. They are from the 90's, do you think the newer editions are much different?

I am reading Birthing from within right now, I really like it.
#5 of 23 Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 PM

I'm reading Birthing from Within and Ina May's Guide as well. Love 'em!

MIL gave me a copy of Your Pregnancy Week by Week (by Glade Curtis), it was really nice of her to get it for me but there really isn't much info in it. I've learned more from following the MDC Boards !

DH is reading The Baby Book by Sears. I was SO proud of him when he bought it himself the other day. He really has no AP role models so he is learning a lot.
#6 of 23 Old 04-12-2005, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i'm reading the chrysallids :LOL

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#7 of 23 Old 04-12-2005, 05:44 PM

I hated this book...in fact so much so that I returned the book. I should say it came in the mail yesterday and I was so disappointed. So back to amazon it went this morning. My biggest complaint is that there's no references within the text, just broad generalizations. I also was reading it with a VBAC in mind and got kinda irritated with the out of date research. Don't misunderstand me -- I liked the premise that most of an OB's care is unnecessary testing to make sure nothing is going wrong.

I also got birthing from within and will be probably reading the VBAC companion.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#8 of 23 Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM

Did you check out the references section in the back? She goes into explicit detail about the studies that she is basing her info on... I wished that she had done that within each individual chapter. It was irritating to me to turn back and forth.

I've heard terrific things about the VBAC companion. I've not ever read it, but read lots of stuff about VBACs before I attended a VBAC last year.
#9 of 23 Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Not reading anything for this pregnancy but last time I read a lot! I liked:

Dr. Sears the Pregnancy Book
Birthing from Within
Birth without Violence
Childbirth without Fear
Mind Over Labor
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (also liked Dr. Bradley's original text Husband Coached Childbirth--he compared birth in humans to animals and it made a lot of sense)
Emergency Childbirth (this was a manual that Dr. Gregory White put out for paramedics but I liked how simple it made everything seem, "hands off and things will work out as they should" was the main message)

I also liked the humor in the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy

I didn't like the What to Expect when You're Expecting book because it was so negative and kept giving me more things to worry about!
#10 of 23 Old 04-12-2005, 10:37 PM

I'm reading Taltos which if you've never heard of it is an Anne Rice book about a family of witches who occasionally give birth to strange, mutant children. I don't highly recommend it when you are pregnant. LOL But I finally made myself read the other books in that series so now I just have to finish it. Its a good book if your not pregnant though. hehehe

As for pregnancy books I'm planning on reading Ina May's Guide and Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth but haven't gotten to them yet.
#11 of 23 Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
Did you check out the references section in the back? She goes into explicit detail about the studies that she is basing her info on... I wished that she had done that within each individual chapter. It was irritating to me to turn back and forth.
EXACTLY!! To be honest, I thought I had done something totally wrong with my csection (that is I hadn't done X during labor that helped me to have a successful vaginal birth), until I found the spinning babies website. I was so pleased to see that I had done most of the suggestions there and still my baby didn't turn and sometimes that just happens. So anyhow my big is really just to say I wish that she had done a better job addressing those concerns as well. Maybe I just take it kinda personally

#12 of 23 Old 04-13-2005, 11:20 AM

All I've read this pregnancy so far is The Pregnancy Book, The Birth Book, and parts of Baby Catcher. I've read/own (they are lent out or I would be devouring them) most of the books listed by others. Oh I also read Birth and the Dialouge of Love which is a UC book (i'll have a midwife assisted birth, but i'm soo interested in UC so I read the books).

Aisling
#13 of 23 Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 AM

Currently, Spiritual Midwifery

I started Birthing from Within but had to take it back to the library. I'll check it out later to finish.

I've also scanned thru Kitzinger's book.

I have two books on hold at the library, UC Homebirth and Unassisted Childbirth. I'm hoping to borrow a UC friend's Emergency Childbirth. Our library only had those two UC books. There are so many more I want to read but not sure how to get my hands on them since I can't afford to buy.
#14 of 23 Old 04-13-2005, 12:07 PM

I haven't started reading yet this PG but I think I'll try Birthing from Within. Most of my PG books from last time were related to multiples.
#15 of 23 Old 04-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinmaof3
There are so many more I want to read but not sure how to get my hands on them since I can't afford to buy.
Ask the library if they can get them from another library via interlibrary loan.

#16 of 23 Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 PM

I would but I've had VERY bad experiences w/ our ILL program. I've picked up books before and the due date is the same week. : I talked to the lady in charge once and she basically told me it was out of their hands.
#17 of 23 Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 PM

:
#18 of 23 Old 07-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. :LOL

I haven't read anything for this pregnancy. I read a lot during my daughter's pregnancy, a lot of it mainstream, and just don't feel the need to read anything this time around.

Is there anything that no pregnant woman should go without reading? Any recommendations?

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#19 of 23 Old 07-30-2005, 08:46 AM

I am the only person in existence who doesn't much care for Spiritual Midwifery. I expected something different from the care during birth, to be honest. All but one of the women birthed on their backs, and had copious dialation checks--all stuff I thought midwives were supposed to help avoid! I do appreciate the technical section in the back, though.

I reread Birthing from Within early in my pregnancy, and will read Emergency Childbirth if my special order ever gets here. That's all my pregnancy-related stuff. Well, I do dip into Your Pregnancy Week by Week when it's not hiding from me, but I recently found a couple of similar websites that actually have better information.

I'm not currently reading anything, which I hope to be a very temporary condition. I'm just out of everything. I just finished rereading 4 Weeks to a Better-Behaved Child and have now passed it on to DH, and am so desperate for material I'm reading a writer's reference book (Careers for Your Characters) like it's a novel or something.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#20 of 23 Old 07-30-2005, 03:41 PM

I didn't really like Birthing From Within!
I guess becuse I like birth stories better than information/idea type of book. To me, it feels like I've heard most things in the book from my mom and my midwife, so nothing new..
Maybe I just wasn't in a good mood when I read it.
#21 of 23 Old 08-01-2005, 01:44 PM

If y'all are getting tired of reading birth books, I'd like to recommend what I'm currently reading: "Mothering the New Mother: Women's Feelings & Needs After Childbirth, A Support and Resource Guide" by Sally Placksin. I'd actually picked it up as part of my doula training, but I'm finding it very valuable pregnancy reading and wished I'd found it the first time. It's all about how to prepare for postpartum. Lots of good info for right now, tho. Such as how to negotiate with your job for the maternity leave (and return, if desired) that you desire. Also talks about the issues with SAHM, 2nd births, PPD, and more.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but truthfully, skipped to the last chapters first to read about negotiations. Has lots of info on additional resources and organizations. Highly recommended for your library!
#22 of 23 Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. :LOL
Me too!!!!
#23 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 01:58 PM

The Red Tent.....
I love this book so much! I read it before, several years ago, but now that I am pregnant I am loving it even more. I highly recomend it, especially if you are drowning in information books, this story will carry you away.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page