Here are the MDC message boards on the topic:
http://69.20.14.30/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=227
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I certainly didn't hear anything about this with my first child. Now that I have an older child to chase after as well as a young one, I just don't know how the heck I'd ever be able to constantly guess at when an infant has to "go"... It seems like a lot of work, and if I fail, I will feel guilty... I also have a sneaking suspicion it's a reaction to the fact that children were potty trained, on average, much younger when I was a baby than nowdays. I also never hear how long this having to "catch" baby before they go potty lasts. I just can't see doing this for three years, when the child would take over for him or herself... I don't know. I'm a skeptic by nature, and just don't know anyone personally for whom this worked right... If it comes naturally to me and this new baby, I won't NOT do it, but really, I just think it looks like an added dimension that I'm not very open-minded about forcing onto my infant... I know that the image in my head of baby pulling on my shirt and us running to the sink every time is just a fantasy... And I have to mind my stress level moreso than some people, so I just don't know if I'm willing to add something else to the list of everything else I have to succeed at to be a "good" mom...

*sigh* I can hope it's just that easy, though...

Pyra
Old 04-19-2005, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's a nice idea, but it neither appeals to me nor seems practical for my family. I know plenty of people who have done it and who do it, and I am glad it works for them.

I am irritated that it seems to be the "new in thing to do if you are *really* in tune with your kids". Like youre not really in tune with them if you don't EC. I have come across this attitude often in the EC community within the AP/NFL community, and it is a huge turnoff to me.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I think it's a nice idea, but it neither appeals to me nor seems practical for my family. I know plenty of people who have done it and who do it, and I am glad it works for them.
That.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:19 PM

I know someone from the Ukraine who said they all do EC there because they don't have washing machines and dryers so they have to constantly be boiling water and sterilizing cloth diapers. For them, even just one less diaper means a lot less work. She told me that when the baby is 4 months old they hold it over the toilet every hour. By the time baby can walk it is used to feeling pee/poop leave their body and they all use the toilet between 12-15 months. At least that's what she said. Anyway it sounded like a lot of work but it was definitely less work than hand washing and sterilizing all those diapers! If I lived in those conditions I would do it. But since I'm here I'll wait to potty train.

I've been potty training ds (2 1/2) for the past 3 months and now we are done. He does great and has very few accidents. It was a pain but still less work than holding an infant over the toilet so many times. Just my opinion, hope that helps!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 PM

i've considered it for this baby, but i agree that it really seems like too much work. i don't have any issues with it (as in, it being a bad thing), but i don't think it's an essential part of parenting. i don't think kids in diapers are some how suffering, unless they're sitting in their poop for hours.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:28 PM

I think it is kinda weird? But I thought alot of things were weird until I tried them like the sling thing! I love it! And my childern loved it too! There is one problem to the potty thing, I am in LOVE with our cloth diaper stash! I could not imagine not using them! Silly huh? I would rather change the cutest cloth diapers, poop and all, insted of my baby using a potty!! :LOL

Mommy to Homeschooled Lindy(5) and Cloth diapered Noah(2). One due Oct 31st! :
Old 04-19-2005, 11:14 PM

I think this is a brillant idea if you have the time. Unfortuantly in order to pay the bills I'm going to have to go back to work after we have the baby, and I don't think care givers are very likely to catch ques.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoMom

I am irritated that it seems to be the "new in thing to do if you are *really* in tune with your kids". Like youre not really in tune with them if you don't EC. I have come across this attitude often in the EC community within the AP/NFL community, and it is a huge turnoff to me.
These are my exact feelings.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:57 PM

I do half and half, lol. We do relaxed ec with our babies at home (read their cues and put them on my lap on the toilet (they go between my legs, not in my lap), pee outside, or put a diaper under them. I never felt comfortable about propping my tiny baby up on the little potty. But I do put a diaper on them if we go out in public. I still try to get them on the potty if they need to go and one is handy, but I am chasing my kids and we do a lot of walking, so sometimes it just isn't practical. Some of the websites seem a little intense though. :
Old 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM

I'm planning on ECing part time. I'd like them to be more in tune with what's going on. I think potty training will be easier. I'm trying to potty train my 2.5 yo now, and I know it would be easier for her if this wasn't something completely new to her.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:57 PM

We aren't ECing, we just have a lot of diaperlessness around the house. I think it's a cool idea, but I don't know if I could do it. I don't feel like I'm less in tune with DS for not ECing though. I mean, I still know when has pee or poop...he announces it every time. :LOL

Old 04-21-2005, 03:52 PM

:LOL "he announces it every time" - I had to laiugh, because my 5 year old announces it every time, too.

Pyra

User Tag List