Feeling baby's heartbeat... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!

I was just wondering if its possible to feel the baby's heartbeat?? I feel my own heartbeat in my low tummy a lot, but last night I think I felt the baby's!?? It is possible? My hand was pressing on my low belly and felt a heartbeat that didn't match my rhythm and it was a little faster. I'm only 12.5w. Just wondering if it was wishful thinking or not? Thanks~

*erin*
#1 edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 01:34 AM

Sorry, but it's most likely wishful thinking. At even 13 weeks, your baby is only about 3 inches long. Add to that things like amniotic fluid, the uterine wall, your own abdominal muscles and fat...It can be pretty hard even with special equipment to hear the baby's heartbeat in the first trimester. If it was possible to feel for the baby's heartbeat, they'd do it instead.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 04-21-2005, 10:01 AM

I agree-- sorry. Even at the very end of pregnancy, they can't feel the baby's heartbeat-- there's just too much stuff between that little baby and your hand. And that's how it is supposed to be. All that extra muscle and padding protects your little one and keeps it safe while it grows.

User Tag List