those of you with OBs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-12-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many people are generally in the room while you're being examined, especially during an internal exam?

I have a male doc, and both times i've been examined (both times internally), there was a female nurse, and a female med student in there with us. I wonder if it's because he's a male doc, and most women are more comfortable with another woman in the room? When i had a female doc, we were always alone.
#2 of 17 Old 05-12-2005, 02:45 PM

I've never been alone with a doc. Always a nurse present, and I think (at least around here) it is either required or highly recommended for the docs - it's a liability issue or something...
#3 of 17 Old 05-12-2005, 02:53 PM

I have noticed that too. I have had 2 male dr.s look at me and they ALWAYS have a nurse present. The numerous female nurse practioners and OB/GYNs (even one GP) that examined me, did it alone. Don't know if it is a comfort issue, or liability. i personally felt comfortable with all my gyn- related women (NOT my GP, but that is another issue) that examined me alone.
#4 of 17 Old 05-12-2005, 03:03 PM

the only times that my male OB didn't have a female nurse or NP in the room when doing an internal were times that my dh was there. if it was just a regular listen to the heart beat type appointment, he wouldn't have anyone come in. The female NPs have never had anyone in there. I would imagine it's a mix between CYA and ensuring the comfort of the patient.
#5 of 17 Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 PM

My male GP (who I am also seeing for this pregnancy) has his nurse come in when he is doing paps etc. But when I was spotting early on, he did do a quick internal exam without the nurse present. I have been seeing this doctor since I was 14 (now 31) and feel very safe and comfortable with him, so I didn't think anything of it, but other patients may not have been that comfortable.
#6 of 17 Old 05-14-2005, 05:08 PM

i have a female dr and it has always just been me and her. during my last pregnancy i had the same dr and even when i saw her associates (all female) it was just me and the dr.
#7 of 17 Old 05-14-2005, 05:16 PM

I've got a female oB-Gyn, Female GP, female dentist and female hygienist and had a female PT. There was never anyone else with me. The PT did an internal exam- long story, she was highly specialized and treating me for pregnancy-related problems. And she asked if I felt comfortable with her doing it.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#8 of 17 Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Every time I've had an internal exam by a male doc, there was a female also present (unless dh was there) for the actual exam. We would talk, when it was time for the exam- doc would flip a light switch or something- female wouldcome in and when exam was over, female would leave so we could talk more.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#9 of 17 Old 05-14-2005, 06:28 PM

I was pretty sure it was a lliability issue. My word against his-- kind of thing if we happened to be going to court or something...but I don't know for sure.
#10 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 08:32 PM

I have a female doctor, she's alone unless she has to do something such as an internal exam or check. I often wondered the same thing myself. I always thought it was a liability thing and there had to be a nurse present. [My doctor is a lesbian, I don't know if that'd make a difference though.]

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#11 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 09:23 PM

my female doctors have always been alone, as have the female nurse practitioners. i had to see their creepy partner once and while I wanted someone else in the room, he was so quick to the internal exam that I didn't have a chance to ask. eeew.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#12 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 09:29 PM

I've always had someone else in the room (usually a nurse) if it was just a male doc. Female docs usually do it alone. I think it's just a safety precaution, to be above repproach. Our pastor does the same thing. If he is alone with a woman other than his wife the door is wide open and a secretary or another pastor is in the hall right outside. Just to be safe and accountable.

I work in the ER and am asked all the time "can I borrow your uterus?" - meaning they need a female witness for a pelvic exam. Some nights I'm the only female there, so it's all pelvic exams. (We jokingly call the back hall with the gyn rooms "Bush Gardens").

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#13 of 17 Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 PM

I have a male OB/GYN, and everytime he begins an examination (internal) he brings a female nurse/med. assist. in the room. I think it may be a law, or maybe it's just for liability reasons. Either way, I've been seeing my doctor for 11+ years, and feel very comfortable with him. During my OB appointments (no internal) there is no one else in the room.
#14 of 17 Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 PM

I had a male ob-gym for my first 2 children and he always had a nurse come in when he did an internal exam.
#15 of 17 Old 06-04-2005, 01:25 PM

I've got a male OB and I've never had a nurse present for any exams. I never thought twice about it, but I guess I can understand the precaution.
#16 of 17 Old 06-17-2005, 02:02 PM

As far as I know it is required for a nurse to present during exams if you have a male dr. As far as the med student I think they are supposed to ask you first. I had a girl studying to be a EMT at my birth and my midwife asked if she could be there.
#17 of 17 Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 PM

With a female ob it is just me and her. Male ob there was always a female nurse attending.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page