can we do another weight thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2005, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Being a chubby gal anyway, this is like my major obsession, lol, so please humor me? What have you ladies gained/lost so far?

According to the doc's records, i haven't gained anything yet. I gained about 6 lbs before my first appointment at 12 weeks (i had just lost about 15 before that, so it probably came back because i felt crappy and stopped exercizing).

At 14 weeks i lost 4 lbs, but gained it back by week 17. At 19 weeks, it was the same.

So, does that mean i've gained 6 lbs altogether? Or maybe i don't count what i've lost, and say i gained 10 lbs? Or, even more confusing yet, maybe i go with 0, because it happened before i "should" have gained weight, and it may have had nothing to do with pregnancy?

I don't understand how this even works; i still weigh less than i did at conception, but i've gained three inches around the belly, and my baby weighed 8 oz at 17 weeks (so says the ultrasound). I look like i'm about ready to give birth, hahaha!

I feel pretty healthy, i mean, i feel like a big chubby blob, but i haven't been sick in weeks. When they weigh me, the nurses look me up and down and just make a face like "hmm, that's odd." Do you think i'll get a lecture soon, or am i probably doing good for someone my size (i'm 5'6" and weigh 176 right now, at almost 19 weeks)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 06:07 PM

If I'm understanding what you wrote...you gained 6lbs but lost 4lbs? If that's the case, you've gained 2lbs. Or did you loose 15lbs, gained 6lbs then lost 4lbs? If that's the case, you've lost 13lbs and haven't gained anything back.

(I think I got that right. :LOL I'm sitting here relaxing after working in the yard so my brain isn't quite awake.)

So far, I lost 5lbs in the beginning and have only gained 3lbs. So I'm still 2lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight. My belly pics are in the thread here...the size I am now is about how big I was at term with my first dd. :LOL I'm 5'4", 21wks and 148lbs.

Here's my history and baby's weights:
#1 - gained 25lbs, dd was 2wks early, 6lbs 4oz
#2 - gained about 16lbs, dd was about 2 1/2wks early, 7lbs 6oz
#3 - gained about 14lbs, dd was right on time, 7lbs 9oz

SO...you can see that even if you don't gain a lot, baby will grow just fine!!! Some women just don't gain a lot. *shrug*
Old 05-28-2005, 08:03 PM

Ugh.. I've gained like 15+ pounds. I hate it and I'm getting HUGE!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Well, I'm 5 ft 10 inches tall and weigh 225 : . I gained 7lbs by week 14, then lost 2 lbs by week 18, and now I've gained a few pounds back. So I think I've gained about 10 lbs all told. If you are eating healthfully they don't worry about it too much. I know how you feel though, when you start out overweight it is a bit more of an obsession.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:49 PM

I had me 20 week appointment last Thursday and in total I have gained 15 1/2 lbs. I gained 55 lbs with my DS, but that was with 12 weeks of bedrest, hopefully I won't repeat that.

Kathleen
: 10/13/05

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:08 PM

I'm overweight too, and haven't gained anything yet. My weight has been up and down though, but right now I'm the same as I was when I started. Everytime I gain some, I get a migraine that makes me puke for a day and then I lose it all again. Hopefully the migraines go away! I didn't gain much with my last pregnancy either until I developed pre-e and then it was all swelling.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:51 AM

I'm about 50-60 lbs over weight, and at my 16 week appointment, I had gained about 7 lbs (which was the same as my weight at my 12 week). My bathroom scales tells me that at 19 weeks, I'm just about the same - so up about 7 lbs. I had just started excercising and eating healthy when I got pregnant - I had lost about 10 lbs, so I'm still about 3 lbs below where I was at the first of the year.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I started at 139 lbs, went down to 129 lbs with morning sickness...I gained almost all of it back so far, I'm up to 138 lbs. Last month I gained 5 all together, so I'm happy about that.

Anyways. I guess my point is that I haven't gained any weight yet. Really.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 05-29-2005, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, everyone is all over the place

That's good; there must not be any "right" way to do it, as long as baby's growing, and you feel reasonably good
Old 05-30-2005, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i was about 20 lbs overweight when I got pregnant with Grace. Sat on my butt, ate waht I wanted, no exercise. Gained 52 lbs.

I was in the best shape I've ever been in when I got pregnant with Lily. I look ill if I go lower than a size 8, and I was in 8s and really muscular. I worked out 3 days a week for 45 minutes until 32 weeks, then 20 minutes of a lighter workout about 3-5 days a week till I delivered. I couldnt tolerate sugar the whole pregnancy, so no sweets at all.

I gaiend 45.

That's right. Was in way better shape and couldnt eat dessert, and gained 7 less pounds. I was like WTF?

I tend to gain a pound per week of pregnancy. I was doing well up until this month, and now I am on track as usual for a pound a week, just like always. I dont work out as much as I did with my last pregnancy, but Im not doing anything remotely like sitting on my butt being a mom to two active girls plus doing some exercising.

However, I have found a wonderful workout, and I have lost 4 dress sizes after each of 2 babies so far, and I'll be doing it again after this one. It's called T-Tapp, and it's a video workout that combines aspects of yoga, tai chi, dance theory, and physical therapy. I went from a 16 to an 8, losing 36 inches and 30 lbs doing this workout and eating on Weight Watchers in 2001 after I had Grace, and 16 to an 8 again losing 45 lbs and 45 inches in 2002-2003 after I had Lily. And that was while exclusively nursing and not dieting!

So while it depresses me every time that I cant gain a normal amount of weight during pregnancy, I have a plan that works for losing afterward.

I just wanted to give you hope, since it seems that most of you either dont gain much, or might gain the usual 30-40 lbs. I fully expect, eating normally and working out some and being a mom, to gain my typical 45-52 lbs. It doesnt seem to matter what I do.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:47 AM

I've gained 16 pounds at 21 weeks. I gained 50 pounds with baby #1 so I think i'm on track for that.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:34 PM

I'd already gained 10 pounds at three months, then stayed the same through the fourth month, but this month I put on another 7 pounds. So, I'm at 17 pounds, already. And all of it seems to be in my belly, hips and chest.

I'd done a lot of work for two years to get down to 140, and I imagine I'm probably going to have to do that work again when this baby is born. I know it sounds like an excuse, but right now, when I exercise, I'm out of breath in 5 minutes, and have to stop. My general diet isn't its worst, but it isn't its greatest, either.

Pyra
Old 05-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Thank you for starting this thread! I am a plus size mama and I've already gained 20 lbs. at 18w! I feel huge!

The first few months I was hungery alot and ate alot! Not much junk food, just really large quantities. Now I don't get really hungery, and I eat pretty good... to much bread, but plenty of fruit and veggies. I can't tolerate much sugar(well, fruits ok) so I've been eating less of that.

I'm trying not to worry about it much. I can deal with it after the baby is born. Its hard though, none of my old clothes fit me, and even though I have gained a good amount on my belly, I still just look fatter!

Its nice to see that some of you have gain 15lb. or so, makes me feel closer to normal

*erin*
edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Old 06-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Let's see here.....pre-preg I was 214 (at 5'7"), lost as much as 5lbs during the 1st trimester, and at my 20wk checkin (2 wks ago) I was at 216. My belly is OBVIOUSLY larger so babyboo is just eatin up all of mommy's extra fat (thanks sweetie!!!).
Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 AM

*Cries*
I don't know what to think anymore. I am up to 195!!!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 AM

Having been rather overweight for several years and pregnancies running, last fall I took the initiative and ended up dropping 27 pounds by the time I conceived in early January (I'm due Oct 1). I kept right on losing and was up to 30+ pounds shed by mid February, when it stagnated until late April. Since then, I've gained 6 pounds. Which puts me 3 pounds over my conception/pre-preg weight.

That sure does sound complicated, when put that way :P Basically I went from 183 to 180 to 186, over the course of these first 23 weeks.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:57 AM

Pre pregnancy I was 123 lb and about 5'5 and now at 21 weeks I am still 5'5 :LOL and I have gained 13 pounds. It doesn't seem like alot to me, I feel good and am eating well. But the thing is that every second person asks if I am having twins. And even the other Mama's I meet think I am way farther along and seem to always want to share their opinion about how big I am for how far along I am. It's making me a bit crazy.........
Old 06-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Just back from my midwife appointment and at 20 weeks I'm up 16.5 pounds. Hopefully staying active this summer will keep me right around 30 total like the other times.

Patti
Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM

erth mama - I get the twins comments ALL the time, even though I'm only 3 pounds over conception weight. It's all belly. Just be glad that that's what's growing, and not your thighs, upper arms, etc....I went nuts my first two pregnancies because I got so flabby everywhere. I looked like a fat woman, not a pregnant one. This is better
Old 06-11-2005, 04:09 AM

I am 182.5. I lost down to 176, so this is technically a 6.5 pound gain, but I'm actually up only half a pound from my prepregnancy weight. Of course, all the weight has shifted around, so I can't actually wear any of my prepregnancy clothes. :LOL

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 AM

I am up 2.5 pounds. I was 145 to start with at 5'5", so just a tad chubby. My midwife says she expects to see a 1 - 1.5 lb gain per week from here on out.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:26 AM

I will be 21 weeks on Monday and have gone up 4.5 pounds (initially lost 2, then gained it back plus 2.5 more). Prepreg weight at 145, I am 5'4".

I am being a big freakish about it (freakish in my head, but unfortunately not so much about what I put in my mouth) so I went to a nutritionist who told me to eat 2,000 calories per day, which I am logging at FitDay.com, and it's helping me stay on track.

But I didn't gain an ounce until 17 weeks, and then BAM! At least I'm finally LOOKING preg-o.....
Old 06-17-2005, 02:01 PM

with #1 I gained 60 lbs (eek)
#2 36 lbs
#3 17 lbs
So far with this pregnancy I lost 4 lbs then gained 9 lbs (including the 4 I lost) and this month I gained 3 more. So that would be 12 lbs, I think????
Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 PM

I am about 25 weeks and have gained 14 or so pounds. I usually gain about 30-35lbs total. I think I am doing better this time I just need to keep excercising
Old 06-20-2005, 11:36 PM

I'm 23 weeks & have gained 20 lbs total.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Old 06-21-2005, 11:57 AM

I have not been on the site in a while, so I just want to say hello to everyone again. Sorry I took a "leave of absence" for a while, but I was feeling horrible up until 17 weeks, and then wound up with a sinus infection, and then chaos at work. In any event, hello to all, and it sounds like everyone is doing well.

As for me, I finally started putting on a little weight after 17 weeks. I am 23 weeks and have put on about 6 or 7 pounds. I feel like I have put on a lot more since my belly looks pretty big to me. The good news is I am all belly (and boobs). I started at 100 pounds and am only 5 feet tall, so the doctors say I should not be too concerned with my weight.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:17 PM

Well, the weight gain has started to pick up for me now. It looks like I have gained about a pound a week since my last appointment. So I am 25 1/2 weeks along now and have gained about 19 lbs. Since I am overweight I was hoping I would just gain the 15-20lbs that are recommended for overweight ladies. We have eaten out a little more often this month than the previous months. I am eating extremely healthy otherwise though. I also exercise about an hour to an hour and a half about 4-5 times per week, so even though I'd like to only gain the 20lbs it seems to be a healthy gain so I'm not stressing about it (too much anyway).

murray&me, hope things are settling down for you. Sounds like things have been crazy!

Old 06-24-2005, 12:12 AM

I was doing so well until now, and had only gained six pounds total. At today's doctor visit (22 weeks) I learned that I've put on about eight pounds in the last MONTH, and though my doctor told me not to worry, I'm really aggravated at myself. : I guess those hamburgers that I've been craving really added up. I hope baby got her fill of them, because she won't be getting any more for the rest of this pregnancy! It's veggie burgers, light mayonnaise, and low-fat cheese from here on out, and I'm hoping that I won't have gained any more at my next visit in two weeks. I was overweight to begin with, and really didn't want to gain more than 15 or 20 pounds during the entire pregnancy. Ugh.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:23 AM

I have been feeling badly about my weight gain. I've been gaining at a rate of 2 pounds/week for the past 8 weeks. I know a rapid weight gain isn't great for me or baby. Its just that i have this compulsion to eat all the time, even when i'm not hungry. And I'm suddenly into chocolate and nuts, help!!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

i had another appointment this week, and lost 4 lbs. (One of the kids threw our bathroom scale, so it's broken, and i don't feel like buying a new one.) The doc gave me a funny look, and asked if i had been sick (no) and if i was eating (hell yeah, haha). He was obviously a little perplexed, especially since my uterus actually measures for a week farther along than i am (i have big babies). So what's going on? I dunno, and neither does the doc, lol. He says it's nothing to worry about though, as long as i feel ok, and i'm eating. I guess a chubby gal losing weight is nothing to worry over, hahaha!

User Tag List