Sensitive topic.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I was wondering...

Is there a point in time when you would *not* seek out medical treatment for pre-term labor if birth was imminent? I mean, if labor began right now, and there was no chance of stopping it, would you go to the hospital for all the of the life-saving stuff for the baby?

If not, why? And, when would you (what week)?

Sorry to be morbid, this is on my mind.

Amanda
#2 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 12:03 PM

Gosh, it's a crazy thing to think about isn't it?

That really is a tough call. I'm 24 weeks now, and I think 24-25 weeks in the youngest most places will try to help a premature baby live. I know there are babies that survive. Of course, health problems are more common, but some are milder than others, etc. In that situation, I think the baby should be given a chance at least. It is hard though, I guess I really don't know for sure! Because that may mean the baby would suffer with tubes and needles and things and sometimes die anyway. You're right that's a tough one.

#3 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 12:33 PM

I've been thinking about this since I stumbled on a Baby Story where the family started to deliver at 23 weeks (I'll be 23 weeks tomorrow) and they were able to hold off until 24 weeks. They were told the child only had about a 5% chance to survive. But the child did survive and was quite rambunctious as they were expecting a new child, a year or so later.

I know money shouldn't be so high in my mind, but now that the bankruptcy laws have changed, and you can't file on medical bills, I'd be more hesitant to go this early because the chance of survival is so low. And I can see myself after losing a few weeks' struggle, and the nasty collections and garnishing of wages constantly reminding me of the struggle to save my child and the anguish I'd feel for years afterward, trying to pay off those bills on top of the grief of loss.

I think I've come to terms with the fact that not every baby makes it, and not every pregnancy ends perfectly, finally. I think I'd wait a little more to do anything if my body began to end the pregnancy... I've thought about the tiny babies at the hospital with all the tubes and the needles, and the fact that the smallest ones are so unlikely to live. Sometimes I wonder just because we CAN do something - like intervene with extremely early deliveries - if we necessarily SHOULD... Lower chances of survival, higher chances of illnesses and diseases, being on tubes and needles for the first several months of life, and not feeling much comfort and nurturing because of the dangers of the outside world. This must have some kind of effect even in the long term...

My mothering instincts of course never want to be in that situation to begin with, but yeah, the "what ifs" are there...
Pyra
#4 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 02:42 PM

I would definitely do anything in my power to save my child.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#5 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon
I think I've come to terms with the fact that not every baby makes it, and not every pregnancy ends perfectly, finally. I think I'd wait a little more to do anything if my body began to end the pregnancy... I've thought about the tiny babies at the hospital with all the tubes and the needles, and the fact that the smallest ones are so unlikely to live. Sometimes I wonder just because we CAN do something - like intervene with extremely early deliveries - if we necessarily SHOULD... Lower chances of survival, higher chances of illnesses and diseases, being on tubes and needles for the first several months of life, and not feeling much comfort and nurturing because of the dangers of the outside world. This must have some kind of effect even in the long term...
I totally agree with this, espescially the part I bolded. I couldn't tell you right now at what point I would make the decision to keep a very premature baby alive. I think it would depend on the the baby's prognosis at birth.
#6 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee
I'm with you. Money is no object when it comes to my children.
#7 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee

Me too...as the aunt of a 27weeker who is exceptionally gifted and a delight to all of us I think every child is worthy of trying....of course if it was before there was any chance of survival that's different...
#8 of 11 Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I've no idea what I would actually *do* in this case. I'd love to say that I'd stay at home, birth my sweet baby, and give him or her all I could here. I, too, am comfortable with the notion of death being part of life. That's the plan until about 28 weeks. At that point, based on the prognosis, I'd allow life-saving stuff.

My husband is on board with this too.

Thanks to all of you for answering this hard question.

Amanda
#9 of 11 Old 06-17-2005, 01:15 PM

I think medical attention should be sought when you go into preterm labor no matter what. There are ways to stop it and there are to many things that could go wrong not just for the baby but for the mom as well. personally if I knew my baby was to small to live I would want it's short life to be as painles as possible and I would want him to die in my arms knowing he was loved.
#10 of 11 Old 06-17-2005, 01:44 PM

i'd seek treatment, even if the chances were very small.
#11 of 11 Old 06-20-2005, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda2b2
I think medical attention should be sought when you go into preterm labor no matter what. There are ways to stop it and there are to many things that could go wrong not just for the baby but for the mom as well. personally if I knew my baby was to small to live I would want it's short life to be as painles as possible and I would want him to die in my arms knowing he was loved.
Funny, we have the same reasons for different things. I'd stay home because I would want to have my baby with me, near me, not hooked up to a machine, etc.

Also, some labors cannot be stopped. For instance, I cannot use terbutaline at all. It is contraindicated with people with heart issues, which means me. So, for me, it would be a bolus IV and waiting. I can do hydration and waiting at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page