More to get to know each other - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-16-2005, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd put some more 'get to know you' questions for us (just copy and paste to reply)

How many pillows do you use in bed?

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)?

When did you start wearing maternity clothes?

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby?

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems?

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)?

Does your DH talk to the baby?

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories?

What did you say to them?

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy?

Will you co-sleep?

How long do you plan to breastfeed?

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero?

That's it for now...Thanks for responding!!! :
#2 of 16 Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM

How many pillows do you use in bed? two, one for my head, one beetween my legs

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)? i don't know that i have a favorite. ive been using The Pregnancy Book this time but I only skim it about once a month for the upcoming weeks.

When did you start wearing maternity clothes? I'm still doing some maternity, some not (my own jeans - well okay one size up - they are low rise so right under my tummy).

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby? Just holding her. The boys meeting her. Dressing her, poor girls gonna think shes a model cause I havent ever gotten my hands on girl clothes. LOL

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? All three boys knwo there is a sister in mommy. The oldest can't wait for her to "pop out" he said shes the cutest girl baby in the world (according to him the cutest boy baby was born earlier this week, read aja & jet's birth story on the birth story board The two oldest love her already & talk about her all the time. My four year old used her to get daddy the card he wanted to get him (i was gonna let him choose anyway!) everytime i picked one up he would yell out "The baby doesnt like that one" I gave up after 3 and asked him to show me which one the baby likes ; ) My 2 year old i'm kind of concerned about because at that age it is REALLY hard to understand until it's a concrete thing, so we'll just wait & see how that goes.

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)? No animals here. My in-laws dog is gonna think im nuts. everytime i add a baby he & the cat come sniffing.

Does your DH talk to the baby? Yes.

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories? not really, most people know I don't pay attention to those & i love birthin'

What did you say to them? n/a

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy? i was doing belly dancing tapes but the vcr broke & i dont like the dvd i got. Soo right now i'm nto really doing anything. I need another vcr!

Will you co-sleep? Yup

How long do you plan to breastfeed? however long

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero? i think that every pregnancy until im sure i dont. actually with the first it didnt cross my mind. but yeah, twins run in the family so its always a concern.
#3 of 16 Old 06-16-2005, 05:55 PM

How many pillows do you use in bed?I use 2 or 3 right now. One for my head, one for between my knees, and one kind of next to and under my belly

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)? MDC is my favorite website I think, favorite book so far is Spiritual Midwifery (at least the birth stories in them)...I want to pick up a few books but haven't yet

When did you start wearing maternity clothes? About 2 months ago I think

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby?Getting to know the new baby, breastfeeding and seeing how my 2 year old is going to respond

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems?Jakob is 2 1/2. I think he will respond really well. I'm sure there may be some adjusting in the beginning but I think it will be allright. He loves babies!

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)? No animals right now

Does your DH talk to the baby? Not really, unless I ask him to, LOL. He is not feeling very attached yet, since he still can't feel the baby too often.

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories? Nope, haven't heard any horror stories yet.

What did you say to them? n/a

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy?Swimming and yoga

Will you co-sleep? Yes, definitely

How long do you plan to breastfeed? At least 2 years

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero?It has crossed my mind from time to time. My DH also thought it a couple of times. It doesn't feel like there are two in there though, not really much more movement than when pregnant with Jakob.

#4 of 16 Old 06-16-2005, 06:18 PM

How many pillows do you use in bed?3 right now...

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)?MDC...as to books I like any homebirth/natural birthing books.

When did you start wearing maternity clothes?12-14 weeks
What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby?Just cuddles and nursing..and the kids meeting the baby

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems?Oh yes and I think all will be fine..Ihave great girls

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)?my cats are used to this by now...my oldest is older than my oldest dd...He is 16!

Does your DH talk to the baby?yep..he's a goof about that...

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories?not this time...last time my cousin told me about a homebirth where the baby died...

What did you say to them? I told her a story about a baby that died in the hospital due to infection.

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy? walking

Will you co-sleep?semi...sidecar, in the bed, whatever works best for all of us.

How long do you plan to breastfeed? I will ask the baby when I get a minute :LOL

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero?not really...the thought crossed my mind when I started getting so big so fast but I kind of figured it was just one.
#5 of 16 Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 PM

Three. One under my head, one between my knees/legs, and one to lean against.

Anything about natural birth or homebirth.

At around 5wks I needed my maternity pants.

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby?
Feeling that warm little body against mine, taking a herbal bath together, snuggling in bed.

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems?
Oh yes! I know they'll do fine!

We have a cat and have had him since before our first was born. He's used to all their torture. :LOL

Oh yes!!!

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories?
Since I've already had kids people don't really do that anymore.

Nothing.

Exercise?????? :LOL Chasing after my kids.

Will you co-sleep?
Yup!

Until he weans.

I wondered this time.
#6 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 01:11 AM

How many pillows do you use in bed?...2, but I'm planning on getting one of those big curved body pillows

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)?...I love this website

When did you start wearing maternity clothes?...pretty early, maybe 6 wks

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby?...Just seeing him, and breast feeding

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems?...No, this is our first

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)?...I think our animals already know. I think the cats will be fine, but one of my dogs is kind of a punk, so I'm just going to try to not ignore him (like I am right now, he wants to play ball, but it's dark & raining)

Does your DH talk to the baby?...yep, it's cute

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories?...not really

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy?...walking by the beach

Will you co-sleep?...Yes, at least while I'm breastfeeding

How long do you plan to breastfeed?...1-2y

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero?...Nope, I got an ultrasound at 8w, so I was pretty sure there was just one

This is sooo cute!

Have a good night mama's!

*erin*

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#7 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 03:14 AM

right now, just one. it won't be long before i need a between the knee pillow, though.

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)? i'm not sure - i like to vary my sources!

about 10 weeks this time.

just cuddling and bonding and nursing

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? yep
Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? i
'm sure Liam will be fine - he's been through this before and adjusted suprisingly well for being so high needs. I'm not sure about DD - she's used to being the baby, so we shall see

i have three cats who have been around since before the kids. everytime we bring a baby home, one of them pees on anything left on the floor, especially if it belongs to the baby or me. i'm soooo not looking forward to that!

yep, every day he tells him he loves him, kisses the belly, etc

at my baby shower for #1, a lady from work told me her horrible birth story about how she almost died and ended up with a hysterectomy.

i think i just stared at her in horror :LOL

I haven't been able to do much this time. I had a lot of early bleeding, so I took it easy. Now that that's passed, I haven't had much energy or motivation. Last time, I did a lot of aerobics, walking and yoga.

Will you co-sleep?
it depends on the baby. DS wouldn't do anything but cosleep, but dd preferred to sleep alone. She's in bed with us now though.

until he's done. Liam nursed until he was about 6 weeks passed his 4th bday, and Rhiannon turns two on saturday and is still nursing 2-3 times a day.

In the begining, Liam insisted it was twins. I never let myself entertain the idea, though :LOL
#8 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 01:11 PM

mothering mag,
last month, at about 15 weeks
everything!
If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? i think my oldest two will be great. I am really not sure about Aidan.
don't have any

yes
I have heard a ton!!!!
How great my births were,lol (unless thry were being sincere then i feel bad that they missed out on a great birth experience.)
walking, but i would lve to do yoga.
Will you co-sleep? yes

as long as possible, until he or she weens
i would love twins but I know there is only one
#9 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 01:35 PM

Just 1

This one; i haven't really read anything, lol.

6 weeks *sigh*

Bonding

I told the kids as soon as we found out. They were 3 and 1 1/2 at the time. I don't anticipate any problems; Ryvre was about the same age Willow is now when she was born, and he adjusted very well. Willow might be a little jelous; she was always more of a mama's baby.

n/a

All the time; he drums too *ugh*

Yeah; one told me all about her daughter, who had a VBA2C, and almost bled to death (i don't think she knew i was pregnant though, so i'm sure it wasn't directed toward me)

Wow, i'm really sorry that happened, but i don't know anything about that (my kids were all vaginal deliveries); i just hope docs warn their patients of the risks ahead of time.

Umm...none...bad mama.

Will you co-sleep?
Yup, as long as it works out

Probably about 1 year.

no, but my MIL did, lol.
#10 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How many pillows do you use in bed? I only use one, sometimes a small one between my legs.

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)? MDC

When did you start wearing maternity clothes? It took awhile. I was in yoga pants for a good 4 months but really only started wearing maternity clothes like 2 weeks ago...and I'm 6 months now. I'm actually not even in tops yet. Just small tee shirts still.

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby? Nursing. Looking into his eyes. Watching Derek hold him.

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? He's our first.

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)? No...we have a chinchilla but she is caged.

Does your DH talk to the baby? Always.

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories? Just had people tell me I was stupid for wanting to have a natural birth.

What did you say to them? Maybe but I want to try anyways! :LOL

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy? SWIMMING.

Will you co-sleep? for sure.

How long do you plan to breastfeed? at least a year.

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero? i had hoped

ETA: My husband drums too! I thought he was the only one. Or talks into my belly like it's a loudspeaker and says announcements to the baby. It makes me laugh and it makes him SQUIRM. :LOL

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#11 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 05:14 PM

2 or 3, depending on whether DH needs one or two that night. I've been using one between the knees since my first pregnancy!

I love MDC, I explore UC forums, and I also read the mainstream boards for a reference to what some people I know are talking about. I like knowing all sides to issues, and picking my own personal blend of necessities. I take what I need and leave the rest.

2 months, I still had pre-weightloss clothes, too, and have been switching between the two all along.

I have an image in my head of being in bed with the entire family, and sleeping like that for the first time. Hope it comes true.

I told Devon in the second month - he overheard us talking about it, actually. He's been an only child for five years, so I worry how he'll feel, but he's old enough now that he's mostly independent, so I don't think he'll be too shocked. I watch a lot of baby shows and he knows what's coming, and doesn't seem upset about it - in fact he seems excited.

I am re-preparing my spoiled rotten kitty (she was around with my first born, too), and keeping her off of my actual body when I sit or lay down - she could really be a pest when I first had Devon. I'm also not letting the dog on my actual body, now, too. That way it won't just be associated with the baby, but an actual habit that predates the baby. He's very jealous of when the cats get attention, so I'm not sure what to expect from him.

Not yet, but he will put his hands over my uterus, or lay his head next to it to feel a sense of bonding. A lot.

I get stories about how fabulous people thought their c-sections and/or epidurals were. I get a lot of "Oh, you just don't remember what labor was like... you'll see, and you'll wish you'd done it the 'easy' way." Though my mother in law likes to talk about her second birth, a 10 lb. 14 oz. baby, 45 minutes of labor, and the nurse barely noticing the baby coming out in one big pop when she arrived at the naval hospital, because they felt it was still too soon in her labor for her to deliver.

I smile and nod. I tell the ones with the epidural fetishes that my epidural stopped my labor and then I didn't feel any pushing sensations, and had forceps to get the baby out which, 5 years later, the scars still hurt at the start of sex or when I get vag. exams. That tends to shut them up... They don't like hearing my reasons for wanting natural this time...

HAHAHAHA! Walking. That's about it. (bad me)

Will you co-sleep?

yes. I got tons more sleep when I chucked the crib thing I was instructed to do by well-meaning people. I instinctively found myself using a lot of AP things but didn't know there was a name for it.

As long as it takes. Seriously, my first wasn't much of an eater, but I'd been bullied out of the breastfeeding, and when they instructed me to take him off formula at a year, I thought they knew best. (I really could have used this forum six years ago. I regret so much...) He didn't eat much of anything for almost two years. At least if he'd been breastfeeding still, I'd have known he was getting nutrition. So, this time, if it lasts 4 years, I'm not going to back down.

I wondered early on, when I gained a lot really fast. I heard it runs through the mother's genes, and my family is expecting someone from my generation to have them. But it isn't me. I think it's for the best, but I wouldn't have been too upset if there were more than one.
#12 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 06:37 PM

How many pillows do you use in bed? One, but it's a nice one.

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)? The Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears

When did you start wearing maternity clothes? Two weeks ago

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby? Nursing the baby, snuggling with my husband and feeling accomplished

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? I don't have other children

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)? Yes, but I'm not sure how to do it

Does your DH talk to the baby? Yes, he was putting his face up to my tummy and singing just last night. It was the cutest thing ever. I love that man!

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories? I think normal mainstream birth stories are kind of horrible. Epidurals? C-sections? Ugh!

What did you say to them? I try to sympathize and be a good listener.

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy? Walking

Will you co-sleep? I am open to whatever sleeping arrangement gets the best night's sleep for all three of us.

How long do you plan to breastfeed? Two or three years

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero? No, I'm measuring correctly for dates so I think there's just one in there

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#13 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

How many pillows do you use in bed? 2; one for my head and the other is a body pillow from costco) for my legs and body

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)? MDC and natural birthing books. I'm looking to buy the Ina May book soon

When did you start wearing maternity clothes? Probably when I was 8-10 weeks along...I am already a bigger person, so I think that had something to do with it AND being #3 baby

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby? to holding her/him and finally meeting in person!

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? Yes we told the kids, they know that Mommy is growing a baby in her tummy. I am sure they will do fine, DD might have some problems with jealousy, but I'm hoping it's nothing big. She's a big "Mommy fan"

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)? No animals here but I've heard they can get pretty jealous

Does your DH talk to the baby? No...he hasn't had time to snuggle with me very much...DS is a big "Daddy fan!" and hangs on him when he can. He did with our previous kids

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories? Not this time around...but I have heard plenty!

What did you say to them? I just listen and change the subject when they are done...or I say something like "wow I hope that doesn't happen to me"

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy? I'm doing a lot of running after my kids too :LOL but I am trying to get into yoga. Took one class so we'll see if I make it back

Will you co-sleep? Oh yeah...all 5 of us together in the giant bed... I found the best co-sleeping book called The Biggest Bed in the World., the kids love it b/c DH is always trying to make our bed bigger somehow...I don't remember the author right now

How long do you plan to breastfeed? I will aim for 2 years like with DD, who knows I could make it longer!

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero? Yes, because I eat like a horse...I don't remember this hunger from the last two times I was pg!!
#14 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 08:50 PM

How many pillows do you use in bed? Heh. I'm up to four. One under my head, a body pillow on my right side, and two on my left. That way I don't have to fuss with rearranging pillows every time I switch sides.

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)? MDC. I have a few Dr. Sears books and read The Hip Mama's Survival guide for fun.

When did you start wearing maternity clothes? My grandmother stocked me up on maternity tops pretty early on (about nine weeks), and I started wearing them then. (Damn these big boobs!) I didn't graduate to the pants until about 14 weeks though.

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby? I can't wait to meet, hold, cuddle with, and feed her.

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? This is our first!

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)? Our dog is ALREADY acting jealous and weird, so I don't know what to expect from her once the baby gets here. I'm trying to keep her out of the bed with me at night (she's slept with us since she was a puppy), but it's hard. She's been the "only child" for five years now, so it's going to take some getting used to!

Does your DH talk to the baby? Yes, and it's absolutely the sweetest thing in the world.

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories? Oh yeah. Seems that people just LOVE to freak me out. I've heard a little of everything--massive weight gain during pregnancy, pre-eclampsia, mandatory bedrest, the doctor almost letting them die during delivery, cutting the episiotomy when it wasn't needed (in once case, AFTER the baby's head was out), severe reactions to labor meds, massive bleeding, emergency C-sections, breathing problems in the baby, four day labors, and the "inability" to breast feed. People may mean well, but sometimes it seems like they're just trying to worry me.

What did you say to them? At first, I freaked out about every one. I've finally learned to try and shrug them off, otherwise I'd be even more of a nervous wreck about this baby.

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy? I've been using our elliptical machine a little, but was instructed not to do anything very strenuous because of a prior miscarriage and complications during the first trimester. I wish we had a pool, because I'd be in it all the time. (Only June, and we're already into the upper 90's here in Louisiana. It's going to be a long, hot, miserable summer.)

Will you co-sleep? Totally planning on it--we're being given a crib, but had no intentions of buying one on our own. Still not too sure about dh sleeping with me and the baby, though. He's SUCH a heavy sleeper!

How long do you plan to breastfeed? I'm aiming for at least a year. I'd like to go longer, but am only planning on taking a year off work. (I teach first grade, so pumping isn't really an option!)

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero? Nah. I've been certain from the beginning that there was only one in there.
#15 of 16 Old 06-19-2005, 04:15 PM

Two for my head. One for my body.

Mothering mostly.

Still haven't started, but I need to! :P

Breastfeeding. Introducing her to Eva. Loving my family!

She doesn't like to hear about the baby ALL the time, but when she does want to hear about her, she is very positive and friendly and loving towards my belly.

We just got a kitten, but we haven't though much about preparing him.

He mostly blows raspberries on my belly. :| Ah well, love is love I suppose!

This time, I haven't heard any. Last time, there were a lot of "it feels like you need to poop" stories.

I knew they were somewhat right, so I just nodded. :|

I did yoga last time, but it didn't really help much. Meditating was my favorite part, not the stretches or positions. So for now, walking.

Will you co-sleep?
We weren't going to, because we thought it was too dangerous, but we ended up listening to Eva's needs and she needed to co-sleep. This time around, it just feels right, putting the new baby in our bed.

I'm still nursing my 22 month old, and will probably nurse the next baby as long as she wants to as well.

With Eva, everyone referred to her as "they" until we had the 10 week ultrasound showing only one. This time, I REALLY felt there were two in there, but again, only one!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#16 of 16 Old 06-21-2005, 10:11 AM

How many pillows do you use in bed?We use seven, for four people.

What is your favorite pregnancy resource (book(s) website)?I love MDC, and I love Ina May, Henci Goer, and Penny Simpkin.

When did you start wearing maternity clothes?II haven't yet. I look really small with this one.

What are you looking forward to during the first few hours after the birth of your baby? The delicious cuddling and new kid introduction! So much fun! Plus, EATING! I am so ravenous after birth!

If you have other children, have you told them about the baby? Do you think they will adjust well, or do you anticipate problems? I think they will adjust well. They know, and my 3.5 year old is CONVINCED that this baby is a girl. When we try to discuss with him, he closes off and tells us, "It's a girl baby. My sister."

Have you thought of preparing your animals (if you have any)? We have no animals.

Does your DH talk to the baby? No, after four pregnancies, it's all kind of old hat.

Have you had any people tell you their horror pregnancy/birth stories, what were the stories? People don't talk to me about anything related to birthing. I'm a bit of a zealot.

What did you say to them? See above.

What is your favorite form of exercise during pregnancy? Swimming!

Will you co-sleep? Wouldn't have it any other way!

How long do you plan to breastfeed? For as long as the baby wants.

Have you thought you had multiple babies in utero? My careproviders have, but I have always felt really secure that I'm only pregnant with one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page