Birth ball? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy? Online or a store (preferably one that would be found nationwide)? I found some online but I really don't know what I would be looking for in one. Any suggestions?
#2 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Walmart in the excercise equipmet section. Sports authority
#3 of 8 Old 06-21-2005, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
#4 of 8 Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM

I just noticed that drug stores carry them as therapy balls. The one I saw them in carried a variety of sizes and colours.

Czen
#5 of 8 Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 PM

You have to be really careful about the cheap-o exercise balls, they are only designed to hold a certain amount of weight. I remember from my last pregnany my Bradley teacher said something about making sure it was puncture-proof, so if you do happen to roll on something sharp it won't just pop it will slowly leak so you have time to get off. Good luck finding one--I ordered mine online (I don't remember where) but I *loved* sitting on it in the last tri
#6 of 8 Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Cheap-o one here (WalMart... $12)...no problems with it at all.
#7 of 8 Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM

From what I understand, there's some difference between an actual birth ball and an exercise ball. It has to do with construction, but beyond that, I don't recall the details. Many women use exercise balls without having any problems - I believe the construction is such that exercise balls are easier to burst and have the potential to be dangerous with a pregnant woman atop. If you have concerns about that, might be worth posting an inquiry over on the midwife/doula forum.

Here's a good site for finding birth balls and accessories: http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/p...?idCategory=22

And according to their information, the difference is that exercise balls will pop, whereas a birth ball will deflate if it gets a hole, allowing the woman to get off before hitting the floor.
#8 of 8 Old 06-24-2005, 02:23 PM

Okay, after I posted, I went off to make my own purchase, which I'd been meaning to do for a couple of months now. Found a great site that has the FitBall much cheaper - only $12! And shipping was much less than what I found at "birth" sites as well. So I got a ball, pump, and plug for $31 (including the $8 shipping). Other places wanted around $45 for the same (including shipping and handling).

So, head for this site if you're looking for something less expensive, good quality (medical), and actually for less $$ than someplace like Walmart.

Allegro Medical

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page