Preterm Labor!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2005, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay here goes... I hope I don't go on too long, but I think I will. I have a history with preterm labor, 12 weeks of bedrest and meds and baby born after all that at 36 weeks. (DS's pregnancy last time around). I have been praying, meditating, stopped working, all that I can do this time around so it dosn't happen again.
I have posted here before about my "Braxton Hicks" ( not sure now if they were BH's or contractions, they don't hurt) and how I have been having them for at least 8 weeks (I am 24 weeks now). Four weeks ago my ob did a vaginal ultrasound to see how my cervix was doing, and it was great 3.5-5 cm, firm and closed. Well yesterday I had an appointment, she was going to give me a fetal fibronectin test, but they were all out, so instead she did a vaginal digital test. Well I am 2.5 cm and my cervix is soft, she said that digitally you always are smaller than what a ultrasound would show, but she is worried about the softenining. She didn't send me to the hosp. becasue I told here that my uterus had been really calm as of the last week or so and that I have no other symptoms of preterm labor, bleeding and such. My Ob is going on a three week vacation and wants me to go into the hosp. if I sence my contractions are getting more frequent.
Well ofcourse last night they were, I think because I go upset about the news of my cervix.
Here is my question to you ladies, esp. those with midwives. Have you had preterm labor, softening of the cervix etc? What does your midwife do about it, what course of action? Part of me feels this is just the way my body does it. Last time with my son, with all the intervention, even a magnesium drip. my uterus never stopped, not with the bedrest or the 10 weeks of tributalane. MAybe it just takes my body this long ti get ready.
I really didn't want to go down this path again, and I am still trying not to. I just want to know of alternatives if there are any. I will do anything though to keep this baby in me as long as possible. My son born 4 weeks early was 7.5 lbs, and ready to come out!

Sorry so long...
love,
Kathleen in San Diego
edd #2 10/13/05 it is a suprise

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 05:30 PM

Hi Kathleen,
Sorry I don't have any advice. I do know someone else who went into preterm labor (I think she was around 22wks) and she is on strict bedrest in the hospital.

Are you asking if a midwife would give a different diagnosis/treament? I feel for you and would suggest that you call a midwife in your area to see what s/he would do in your situation. I am not positive but I thought that everyone gets pretty concerned with pg women and try to be on the cautious side when it comes to potential problems. I'm sure that the preterm labor with your ds puts you in a high risk category and midwives wouldn't take you into their care...but I would hope that one would have a few minutes to speak to you
Good luck! I'll keep you in my prayers and thoughts!!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 PM

I don't have any experience with this myself, so no advice from me either. But just wanted to give

How are you feeling now?

Old 06-25-2005, 11:52 AM

Why don't you post your question over in the midwife/birth educator whatever it's called forum under birth and beyond. I've posted questions over there and have always gotten quick and kind responses.

User Tag List