Choosing a name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2005, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first baby, I really felt like she told us her name. There were many names I loved, but I was absolutely certain of what her name just *was*. With this baby, I feel like we're picking things completely randomly. We have two names that feel good to us, but the baby has not been so kind as to clue me in on which is right, and it feels very odd and artificial to me to just pick something. I'm aware that that's probably the usual methodology, but after my experience with Abigail, it feels weird. And I REALLY want to know his name and to start thinking of him that way. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I keep looking at my list of names and thinking "wow. One of these names is probably going to be our new baby's name. That's wild!".

With Grace, her name had been chosen for years. With Lily, I looked at her and talked to her after she was born and said the names we had on our list to see which seemed to fit her. In all honesty, I didnt like her name until she was about a year old. It's a sweet name, it just wasnt what I wanted to name her.

With this baby, I have said the names we have chosen to the baby inside. She seems to respond to two of the names very consistently, and I get no kicking for the other names. Just in using them to talk to her, I mean. Consistently she responds to two of them.

I do not expect a dream or anything, never had one before.

But we still have time! Your baby may yet tell you his name!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:32 PM

With DS my DH and I both liked the name Jakob before I was even pregnant. In the middle of the pregnancy my raging hormones and personal like for the name Noah had us arguing until just a few weeks before he was born. I finally threw in the towel, because I liked the name Jakob a lot too and realized it was mostly my moodiness and I was tired of arguing. And the name really does fit him, so I'm glad we went with it. I still like the name Noah though.

This time the only name that "came to me" was the name Sara. I just burst out singing that song, "Sara" (by Starship, I've never known all the words just the chorus). So I've put that down on our list of names. While it's not the fav name of the ones we picked, it just jumped out at my when I started singing the song. We shall see . I still need to meet the baby first.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:59 PM

i know how you feel; my first two practically yelled their names at me from the womb, lol, and i don't even feel like i know this child!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:20 AM

Been there, done that, named her about 36 hours after she was born. And loved the experience so much I intend to do it on purpose this time.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

After spotting last night (which scared the bejeezus out of me), we're going to have a u/s this afternoon to check on the position of the placenta. I'm hoping the baby might let us know his name when we see him today.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:36 PM

My Anthony was Anthony FOREVER. There was absolutely no question what his name would be if he was a boy. The name is so perfect on him, I can't imagine anything else.

I also don't feel like I "know" this baby, and none of the names I have picked out (boy or girl) seem to fit. Guess I'll just wait to meet him or her.

User Tag List