Talking,reading,singing to baby?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-01-2005, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas~

I was just wondering how you communicate with your baby? Do you talk, read books/poems (what kind?), sing, play musical instruments, play music with head phones (what kind of music)??? Does your baby respond to certain things?

I need to buy some headphones so I can play music. I talk and sing all the time to baby. My husband has played the didgeridoo (the Australian aboriginal instrument) to my belly, that was neat! I've been thinking about playing guitar again, which I haven't done in about a year. I can't really get baby to move when I want though, he moves around usually after I eat, but that's about it. One of my kitties was laying on the side of my tummy and the baby started kicking him! So cute~

We are going to a concert in Sept.,(to see Ani Difranco) so I hope he enjoys it! Can sounds be to loud for baby???

*erin*
#1 edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#2 of 5 Old 07-01-2005, 05:32 PM

We talk to him all the time! And of course he can hear all the screeching of his sisters. :LOL If he's wiggly and dh starts talking to him, he stops moving...it's SO cute!!

As far as reading...I don't usually read TO him...but I read to the girls all the time so that kinda counts.
#3 of 5 Old 07-01-2005, 06:54 PM

*I might sound kinda flaky here*

Way before I needed to take a pregnancy test I felt a connection. I wasn't convinced I was even pregnant, and had a beer. As I was drinking, I swear it was like someone was "telling" me I was pregnant and I probably shouldn't be drinking the beer. That kind of communication has been pretty strong all along. Even though I've had mass amounts of dreams of a little girl, when I was awake, I just felt like a boy was communicating with me. And I am a first level reiki practitioner, and I've been using that with him all the time. I haven't started any actual reading or playing music, since I'd learned that their ears can't pick up much outside the womb until after the 7th month. At that point, I want to play lots of music and read. (With my first, I could tell when he was hearing outside the womb, because I worked hotel housekeeping - and everytime I ran the vacuum, he'd start doing flips, kicking and bouncing, and that was around 7 months.)

I do plan to do those things as much as possible, though.

Pyra
#4 of 5 Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

movingon~ That's neat that you feel such a connection with your baby! I'm feeling more and more connected, but the first few month I really didn't.

I've read lots of different time estimates on when a baby can hear outside of the womb, and from what it appears like, they don't really know. I figure it doesn't hurt to start early Musical instruments also cause vibrations, so maybe they can feel that?? Here's a link with interesting info about fetal development~

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/tul/psychtoday9809.html

*erin*
#1 edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#5 of 5 Old 07-01-2005, 09:19 PM

"Closer to birth, the fetus sleeps 85 or 90% of the time: the same as a newborn." - Well, inside the womb, my ds barely slept 50% of the time, and it was about the same after he was born, so I guess I had a warning before he was born, after all! I also like how the article pointed out that the mother's diet can be tasted in the womb and influence tastes it finds in the breastmilk. I'm wondering if I should make sure I'm not straying too far from my love of spices and other things, so it's all familiar...

Good article, thanks!

Pyra

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page