Diapers?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-23-2005, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So dh and I have been thinking a lot about diapers for this baby and the more we think about it the more we are deciding to go with cloth!
So my questions are many....
How do you choose with all the types that are out there? How often do you need to buy new ones? Could you tell me which wahm's/co.'s you've used and had success or not such great success. Which fabrics are good (wool, soakers, terry......) I live in San Diego so the weather is pretty nice year round and doesn't really change much if I have to take that into consideration.
What have you decided??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 07-23-2005, 08:23 PM

Lovnbnhome-

I am trying to figure out the same thing. With my son I did mother ease, and I still have those. I am thinking about adding some prefolds to these, but I would also like to know what everyone is going to do. Last time i went into it sort of blindly. I know that my mother ease diapers were expensive... so...

:

I am also in san Diego, I dried my on the line most of the year.

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#3 of 19 Old 07-23-2005, 09:26 PM

I have used cloth since my second was 9 months old. I even had two in cloth for about a year. My second dc is potty trained now so it is just the baby in diapers. (he'll be two in Oct.) He has about 7 Aio, 8 fitted. 3 fuzzi bunz and we have one wool soaker, one fleece cover, one pair of wool longies. That lasts us 2-3 days. I have never diapered a newborn before but so far I have
AIO's (4)
Fitteds (12)
Prefolds
8 infant prefold
3 preemie
Covers (5)
I am pretty sure that I am going to get a dozen more infant prefolds and a dozen more preemie. I get my diapers from various places. (i don't think I am allowed to tell you were here, weird rules.) Mostly I get them on the Diaper Tp here at MDC. You have to have 50 posts and be a member for 2 months or more to get in.
#4 of 19 Old 07-23-2005, 10:52 PM

Oh, I've tried them all!
AIOs seem to be my boyfriend's favorite, since they require the least amount of effort to get them on/take them off.
I keep going back and forth, sometimes I like prefolds and covers [because they are less bulkier].
Sometimes, I swear by the AIOs [because they can be so convenient].
Right now, our daughter is potty training, so during the day she's naked or in panties and during the night, she's in pocket diapers.
I was lucky and had an online friend ship me the diapers her children had grown out of [she wasn't going to have any more children] so I got to try them all. Just about all of the diapers she gave us are still in great condition and are being used for the next baby. So basically I have diapers that have already been through three children over the course of several years. [I believe her oldest is 5]

My advice is really, just try them all. That way, you'll get to try out the ones you like and the ones you don't you can just resell or give away.
I read you should have at least 30 diapers for the newborn stage, since newborns can pee/poop up to 10 times a day [or more!~] and 30 diapers should last you at least 2-3 days in between loads.
With my daughter, we did half cloth, half disposables, so this will be our first time diapering full time in cloth from the beginning.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#5 of 19 Old 07-24-2005, 04:28 AM

We're going to do cloth. I decided to make about two dozen All In Ones from the Very Baby pattern in size small, which probably will be too big for her right at first. I was going to buy a few covers and some prefolds in the newborn size, but now I'm enjoying the sewing (mostly, lol) so I may go on and make her some newborn AIOs, too. At first I thought that would be too much trouble since she would grow out of them so quickly, but they are awfully nice! I made about forty wipes out of a terrycloth robe I don't wear and some flannel I got on clearance. The stash is starting to build! Now let's just hope all this stuff fits her, after all these hours of work!
#6 of 19 Old 07-24-2005, 08:51 AM

I started usind cd on Sophia when seh was about 2mos old...I used prefolds with covers then when she got mobile they would shift and leak so I bought motherease and I love them..never a leak, ever...and luckily she's small so teh ones I bought her at 6 mos still fit at 2(they are very adjustable) I prefer the Sandy's to the one-size. So I ordered some of these in size small(starts at 9lbs and my last babe was 9lbs) but I also bought some flannel to make myself some contoured diapers...I may buy a few extra covers from Motherease as well.

Sophia is potty training now and I use motherease training pants but do use pull-ups if we are going to be out and about sometimes...it gives me an idea how much $$$ we have saved using cloth...and it's such a good feeling knowing you are not filling up the landfills...I feel guilty everytime I take out a bag of garbage but it would be worse if I was using disposeable.
#7 of 19 Old 07-24-2005, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In 5 1/2 yrs of parenting, 6 months of two in disposables, I have spent

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS on disposable diapers.

52 weeks a year, times 5.5 yrs, times $10 = $2860.

We are doing cloth fulltime from now on. I just about fell over when I finally tabulated up what I'd spent. It makes me very angry, actually. Wasted money. Invest less than a grand in all the diapers you'll ever need once, and its done, no more cashflow going out on diapers.
#8 of 19 Old 07-24-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!! I know what you are saying about filling the landfills...I have contributed to just that for the past 3.5 years I do feel guilty but that is the only way I knew and felt comfortable with. I appreciate the help and knowing that I'd need about 30 diapers is good advice!

I will try the Diapering TP. I have been checking it out too and linking to all the sites they have. I have at least 50 posts and have been a member for at least 2 months...but is that for MDC or do I have to start posting there and be a member there for 2 months? (sorry if that sounds stupid but I don't know!)

Also the Very Baby pattern...where did you get that? I have also been thinking of sewing them too...

I was thinking that I'd register for a Wish List somewhere for those who want to give us gifts at my shower. Any recommendations? Or maybe I should just ask for the money and buy my own?

It's overwhelming to choose.
#9 of 19 Old 07-24-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoMom
In 5 1/2 yrs of parenting, 6 months of two in disposables, I have spent

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS on disposable diapers.

52 weeks a year, times 5.5 yrs, times $10 = $2860.

We are doing cloth fulltime from now on. I just about fell over when I finally tabulated up what I'd spent. It makes me very angry, actually. Wasted money. Invest less than a grand in all the diapers you'll ever need once, and its done, no more cashflow going out on diapers.
This is exactly what I was saying to my DH the other day. We have come to a point where we have to be frugal in what we buy and (hopefully) do some saving. And this is a point where we can start
#10 of 19 Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnbnhome
Also the Very Baby pattern...where did you get that? I have also been thinking of sewing them too...
www.sewdiapers.com
In my opinion you need to know how to sew already to be able to use this pattern, though other people talk about how easy it is. I had to post some questions on the diaper-making forum (under crafts) because there were things that I didn't think were explained clearly. Luckily someone helped me, and hopefully that thread will be around for a while.
#11 of 19 Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 PM

You have to be a member at MDC for 2 months and have 50 posts. here is the link http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ysprune=&f=233
It looks you should be able to get in no prob if you can't put a post in the questions forum.
#12 of 19 Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Check out my web site--it's in my signature. It explains the different types of cloth diapers, costs, pros and cons of each, etc, in easy-to-read language.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#13 of 19 Old 08-10-2005, 11:20 PM

We've decided to use cloth too. This will be our first baby and though I've babysat before, I was trying to think if I've ever even changed a single diaper in my entire life and I'm pretty sure the answer is no :

I sent away for the intro special for motherease diapers, and I think I'll go with their one size, but it looks pretty big so I was planning on using disposables for the first month or two, buying newborn diapers seems expensive just for a couple months?

But maybe I could get some prefolds and use them with the Motherease covers.. has anyone done that? That would be a little cheaper...

I'm so afraid to buy a whole dozen or something just in case they don't work out right, but having 1 cloth diaper seems kind of silly. Like it would be hard to know if it leaked in case the baby just peed on it or something, then you have to wash it and dry it to try again. (this indecisve thing seems to definately be affected by being pregnant too.. It takes me forever to figure out what I want to eat in restaurants etc latel)

Mom to DD(2005), SD(2004), DS(2013) and expecting another boy June 2014!
#14 of 19 Old 08-11-2005, 05:16 PM

I just got a big box of diapers from a WAHD, Cloth Daddy. This is the husband of a forum friend of mine. After doing loads of research I bought several Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers and a couple dozen prefolds with three covers (and loads of wipes). A little bird told me I'll be getting more of all of those at my shower on the 20th.

If you're interesting in registering/creating a wish list you should check out Felicite. You can set up one big wish list that covers lots of stores, including loads of natural parenting stores. I did that and am really happy with it. That's how I know about the diapers I'm getting. . . .
#15 of 19 Old 08-11-2005, 05:20 PM

Akemi,

Prefolds are so cheap, and Mother-Ease diapers have such high resale value, that I think either way you're fine getting a dozen or two.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#16 of 19 Old 08-14-2005, 06:24 PM

Akemi, I used ME onesizes exclusively with my 2nd and they fit from the beginning, on the tightest setting. They were super bulky, but I never used a cover. He was a very light pee-er. They have terrific resale value AND I am still using them on my 4th child. I don't think that you can go wrong, except that they are not cute.
#17 of 19 Old 08-14-2005, 07:04 PM

Ok I'm definately going to order a bunch of ME Onesizes. You guys convinced me If they don't work out I'll just ebay them!

The last couple days I've spent drooling over the "cute" diapers though :LOL The only thing that has stopped me from buying them is that I don't know if I'm having a girl or a boy so I don't know which "cute direction" to go! That and my fear of customs/brokerage fees to get them into Canada :

That's another thing the ME have going for them, they're shipped from this side of the border!

Mom to DD(2005), SD(2004), DS(2013) and expecting another boy June 2014!
#18 of 19 Old 08-15-2005, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akemi
I sent away for the intro special for motherease diapers, and I think I'll go with their one size, but it looks pretty big so I was planning on using disposables for the first month or two, buying newborn diapers seems expensive just for a couple months?

I'm due with my first as well and feel the same way. I'm still not even close to prepared to cloth diaper. : I've also been thinking about trying out cloth a bit and not going overboard... I'm just afraid that I'll get tons of diapers that she won't fit in to. I'm scared to get the newborn sizes because I'm worried that she might be too big for them and then I'm afraid to get too many smalls because I'm afraid they might be too big for her. I've heard some women who's baby didn't fit into smalls until six months and up. I've wanted to get some one size diapers (Susie One Size) but they are so hard to snatch!

So far I've got 14 infant sized pre-folds, 7 small fitted diapers, 2 newborn fitted diapers, 1 small AIO, 1 one size diaper, 2 inserts, some snappis and three covers. Two of them being wool and one being capris.

I haven't done anything clever like getting packages...! I've just been buying them here and there. I still have a bit of time but I think I'll end up half cloth and half disposibles for a while.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#19 of 19 Old 08-15-2005, 07:13 AM

OK, you may all balk at this suggestion/idea initially (I know I sure did), but there's an alternative to building up a huge stash of cloth diapers and doing loads and loads of laundry (and no, I am not suggesting disposables either!). And before I hear protests, we used cloth w/ dd, and we love cloth - it totally fits in w/ what I am going to say:

Have you considered trying the very ancient, very gentle art of infant potty training (aka IPT - it's literally the "other end" of breastfeeding - BF and IPT are amazingly similar in practice) . You can certainly (and many families that do IPT do) use diapers w/ IPT, but it's a matter of using them/looking at them differently. Instead of waiting for babe to go in the diaper, then cleaning off your baby and throwing the diaper in the laundry, you and DP can simply learn your baby's cues & frequency and just hold them over a little potty BEFORE they soil themselves and the diaper. Does this sound wild to you? I laughed it off, too, at first - and I mean I *seriously* laughed it off. I even called my husband at work (we were both working full time at the time) to laugh heartily about how ridiculous it sounded to me. Months later, I ended up eating those words (ah, life has a great sense of humor)!

But think about it: just as you learn to know signs of hunger (rooting, sucking, crying) and how often your baby generally needs to nurse, you can just as easily learn to tell their signs & frequency for needing to pee/poop - it's truly not hard!!! Babies are amazing, and their communication skills are FAR more sophisticated than our western society gives them credit. Plus, with IPT, you are saving a ton of cash by having a low-key/very frugal cloth diapering system & doing less laundry. Just getting some one-size diapers or a simple prefold+cover system instead of investing heavily in a large (in number of diapers), costly, multi-sized fitted diaper system. Hey, if you got the cash and love to clean poop out of baby creases/crevices and do diaper laundry, be my guest! But if you prefer to keep things simple/rely on less stuff, be kinder to your environment, your wallet, and most importantly, your baby, I say give IPT a try!

Even though I had heard about IPT while pregnant, I completely dismissed it ("hoo, that's funny! NO WAY would that work! too difficult!"). But months after dd's birth, as I was buying the next size up CDs for my dd, I finally decided to just give IPT a trial run ("I can stop anytime if we don't like it or if it's too difficult"), and within my first 3 offerings, my teeny dd peed for me in a little potty with the biggest, most satisfied look on her face! It was as if she was saying, "Ahhhhhh. Whew, mama! FINALLY you clued in to what I was trying to tell you!" Truly, after that moment, we never looked back. DH was hooked. Grandparents soon followed. And it's been a gradual, fabulous experience - very similar to child-led weaning w/ breastfeeding.

ANYWAY, just wanted to let you know that while cloth diapers defeinitely rock (remember, we used them w/ dd, and will again when we do IPT w/ #2 due in January), there is another option of doing modified cloth diapering + IPT. It is such a wonderful opportunity for:
* bonding with your baby
* treading more gently on this earth
* simplifying your life/buying less stuff
* saving $$$ (fewer dipes, less energy, less water & detergent)
* PLUS, you will never, ever have to go through un-diaper training (aka current western potty training) your very willful toddler who, at 2 or 3 yrs old (after years of being told to go in the diaper) is so resistent to having to make such a huge change that he/she refuses to poop anywhere but in their diaper -- and I'm not making that up (search MDC forums for moms whose toddlers are in size XXL diapers because they're scared to go anywhere else but there)

Um, no fun for anyone involved! IPT completely bypasses trying to introduce toilet learning during the already very spirited toddler phase (it's just a normal, everyday part of life by then!).

Sorry soooo longwinded - just had to say something when I saw that no one else had suggested IPT yet! It's a really viable option if you actually give it a try (sounds far more complicated than it is -- just like moms who initially think breastfeeding is harder than formula feeding -- give it a sincere effort and get past that initial learning curve, and it's smooth sailing from then on)!!!

Congrats on your new arrivals, and have fun getting together your stash of cloth (whether simple/frugal or large/elaborate) -- at the same time, try shaking off some of this ridiculous western culture that tells us we must diaper our babies until well into toddlerhood! Hmmm, how did our species make it all of these thousands & thousands of years without diapers (and formula)??? By reading/responding to our babies' signals!!! If you're planning to breastfeed, take one more small step and consider learning more about the very similar, loving, healthy practice of Infant Potty Training/Elimination Communication.

For any who are interested, here's more info on and support for IPT/EC:
Local playgroups & info/support meetings --> http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/
Online support --> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eliminationcommunication
One mom's journey --> http://www.freewebs.com/freetoec/index.htm
Mothering Dot Commune EC board

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page