Frozen dinner ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-27-2005, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you going to make dinners ahead of time? I ahven't with any of my others but with the two little ones plus the baby I am thinking it might be a good idea. Any suggestions?
#2 of 13 Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 PM

I'm thinking of doing this too. It's about time to get started doing it isn't it? Just 7-9 weeks to go!

I make chicken and beef stock for soups. I was thinking of having a few different types of soups frozen...maybe chicken rice soup, cream of veggie soup, maybe some beef stew too. Then I can just take out the soup, and make a grilled cheese sandwhich to go with it while it heats up. Also, I was thinking of making ahead some pancakes and freezing, and maybe some egg burritos. And some type of bean-cheese-meat burritos for lunches and dinners. Not sure what else yet, that's what comes to mind so far.

#3 of 13 Old 07-27-2005, 10:52 PM

Oh....and keeping some ice cream in the freezer sounds like a good plan too :LOL

#4 of 13 Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 PM

No, I don't know yet.
My mom and my sister are supposed to be coming out as soon as I call and tell them to. [Either when I'm in labor, or after she's born, but my sister prefers when I'm in labor, so they have a chance to make it on time...they are 12 and 8 hours away!]
My mom will cook her Mom-heart out, so I'm not worried at all. If all else fails, my midwife gave me a list of caterers that specialize in post partum meals, so I'll call them!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#5 of 13 Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 AM

I ended up getting a free, brand new freezer from my boss, it's about 1/2 the size of a fridge, so I am planning on filling it! My husband will have a month off when baby is born, but he doesn't really cook much. My Mom will be visiting for a few weeks, but she eats very different from us. I'm still getting recipes together & I'll share them if you want, but so far I am making...

~veggie chili
~"cream" of broccoli soup (non dairy)
~rice/broccoli casserole
~a couple kinds of burritos
~veggie burger patties
~*Turkey-less* pot pie
~Stuffed bell peppers
~freezing tons of fruit for smoothies
~brown rice
~multi grain muffins
~Indian meals
~some vegetable stirfrys

and more! We are veggie, but eat a little dairy. I really want to be prepared, and there are very few places to get food within 20 min. of us.

*erin*
#1 edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#6 of 13 Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 AM

ugh, i really wish i had a bigger freezer now, lol. We have a side-by-side style fridge, and it seems really narrow to me. We never have any room for anything but the basics (some bags of frozen veggies, a lb or two of extra meat, and Ryvre's waffles). I don't think a casserole dish would fit through the door! Sometimes that's a good thing though, because i haven't bought a frozen pizza since we moved in (the smallest ones won't even fit), and i rarely have enough space for icecream
#7 of 13 Old 07-29-2005, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

wow Erin, Your hubby gets a month off. Lucky you. iwill be lucky to get hubby to take 2-3 days off.
#8 of 13 Old 07-29-2005, 06:35 PM

Yeah! State of Ca pays family leave for husbands, and at work he has saved up like 2 mo. worth of vacation pay! (but they won't usually approve more then a month) Sorry your dh only gets a couple days

*erin*

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#9 of 13 Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM

Here, they don't even have to give you one. My hubby had that problem at his last job; his boss (a woman!) was pissed off that he didn't know exactly WHICH day in July he'd need off. When he called her from the hospital, she insisted that he come to work the next day; he said sorry, my family comes first. She could have easily fired him for that, but fortunately she didn't. The laws are all on the side of the employer, so it sucks to live in Missouri!
#10 of 13 Old 07-30-2005, 03:04 AM

I need to talk to my mother & mother-in-law and plan a Saturday that the three of us can get together and just cook meals in preperation. I'm not much of a cook so I want their help, plus it will be good bonding time LOL

aisling
#11 of 13 Old 07-30-2005, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I always enjoyed beef stroganoff with the sauce frozen ahead of time and then cooking noodles or brown rice for it when I thaw it....mmmm good.

I have brought this to homes when someone has had a baby or is in mourning or simply to visit...

No one has ever turned me away!
#12 of 13 Old 07-30-2005, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bear Creek makes some powdered soups that actually cook up quite well and hearty, so that is another thing to add to your postpartum cuisine.
#13 of 13 Old 07-30-2005, 03:44 AM

Last time I made mac & cheese from scratch (I use Alton Brown's recipe from foodtv.com) and a crock pot beef stew. I'd microwave a bowl of that with a side of spinach or something.

I have a pretty decent crock-pot lasagna recipe as well...I'll have to dig it up since it's summer and we're not doing a lot of crock potting. You can do it veggie or with ground turkey or beef. It's the kind of thing you don't even have to make in advance because it is so easy. Crock pots are a lifesaver.

And ditto to ice cream in the freezer. I was never hungrier than when I was nursing a newborn. I was like a bear coming out of hibernation...growwwwl!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page