What's in your newborn diaper stash? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 08-12-2005, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
on wipes:
You can also go to a big box store (walmart, target, etc.) and find washcloths that are bundled like 8-10 in a bundle. they will work.

someone said something about a diaper with soaker/stuffing with polyester in it? The poly won't absorb water, so you might be disappointed in performance.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 08-15-2005, 07:16 AM

Gah, I'm not even close to prepared yet and still confused as this is my first child and first time doing it! But so far:

6 Unbleached Pre-folds
8 Hand Dyed Chinese Pre-folds
1 Small Fuzzi Bunz (light blue)
2 Small Fireflies
3 Muttaqin Small Fitteds
2 Muttaqin Newborn Fitteds
1 Muttaqin One Size Diaper
1 Under the Nile Diaper, Size Small
1 Patchwork Pixie Elfin Under, Size Small
1 Sugar Peas Snap In Diaper, Size Small
1 Medium Cover
1 Pair of Woolen Capris (Cover)
1 Woolen Cover, Size Small
1 Small AIO

So all in all: 14 pre-folds, 9 small fitted diapers, two newborn fitted diapers, 1 AIO, 3 covers, some snappis and a few inserts.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#33 of 52 Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 AM

i just wanted to add to my list that i just bought the deluxe prefold package from katieskisses. so now i should *hopefully* be all set for my baby's diaper years! now i guess i just need the doublers/soakers to add to them for night time use...right? or are they ok with just the prefold and cover?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#34 of 52 Old 08-15-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI
i just wanted to add to my list that i just bought the deluxe prefold package from katieskisses. so now i should *hopefully* be all set for my baby's diaper years! now i guess i just need the doublers/soakers to add to them for night time use...right? or are they ok with just the prefold and cover?
Congratulations, that's one of the top five best package deals I have found!

It may work for you all by itself, with double diapering at night when the baby gets older. You may want to consider using an Aristocrats wool soaker or a Fuzzi Bunz at night instead of the Bummis/Proraps. You may also want to consider using a Waddlehoppers doubler inside the prefold at night. All of these things are sold by Katie's Kisses so at least they are easy to find! Good for you! I wish I had done something like that from the start instead of going crazy.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#35 of 52 Old 08-15-2005, 10:32 AM

Now I have:

3 preemie prefolds
12 infant prefolds
20 newborn fitteds (up to 12 lbs)
6 small fitteds (6-18 lbs)
2 small fitteds (10-15 lbs)
24 s/m fitteds (12-20 lbs)

and the covers:
2 newborn PUL covers
4 bummis sww size S
2 newborn soakers
1 small soaker
1 small wool diaper cover (WAHM made)
1 small fleece diaper cover

I think I'm all set!
#36 of 52 Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akemi
So far I have
I want to buy some chinese prefolds, but do I need infant or preemie? Aren't preemie just for .. you know, preemies?
My babies were only 7 lbs and 7'3. (my oldest was a bit bigger) soI am gettting a dozen or so preemie prefolds. I don't want to have to go and buy sposies. is this your first? if you think you will have a smaller baby I'd get some preemie prefolds
#37 of 52 Old 08-16-2005, 03:19 AM

Ok so my eyes are literally rolling around in their sockets from all the info i've read just on thisthread lol!!! Up until this point i was a disposable diaper mom which has worked well for our 22 month old, but is pricey. And upon reading and learning about the benefits of cloth, i really would like to try this route.

BUT. . . i am so overwhelmed with the variety out there. Where do i start? Are there any good books or links or sites that will give me comparisons? Where do i start and what is needed to start my stash? And what are the best brands? I really like that some of them have snaps on the actual diapers (i think im lazy). Any suggestions or advice would be so appreciative as you all sound like pros on this. I feel so clueluess. . . . . .I feel like ill never learn all i need to about cloth in just 2 short months and i know NO ONE who uses cloth. But i'd really like to try this way with jellybean. Thanks ladies

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#38 of 52 Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 PM

premie vs newborn:
We had 5-6 premie prefolds when erin was born. she was over 9 lbs. I loved the premies, but honestly they did the same job that the flatfolds I got from target did. And the flatfolds doubled for a LONG time as spit rags, etc.

on where to start:
check out the diapering board here. well don't jump right into the discussion, check the spots at the top of the board where there are links to the FAQ, etc.

You CAN do cloth diapers.

I buy most of the stuff I get new from www.naturalbabies.com. She isn't necessarily the cheapest around nor does she have the absolute cutest stuff BUT customer service is good, reliable and shipping is a flat 4 bucks (or something close).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#39 of 52 Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat
Congratulations, that's one of the top five best package deals I have found!

It may work for you all by itself, with double diapering at night when the baby gets older. You may want to consider using an Aristocrats wool soaker or a Fuzzi Bunz at night instead of the Bummis/Proraps. You may also want to consider using a Waddlehoppers doubler inside the prefold at night. All of these things are sold by Katie's Kisses so at least they are easy to find! Good for you! I wish I had done something like that from the start instead of going crazy.
thanks os muc hforthe info! im goin to look into those doublers now
<3,
nicole

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#40 of 52 Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM

We have
2 Angelwraps AIO's
2 Bunny Patch AIO's
2 Muttaquins AIO's
2 kissaluvs size 1's
1 BSWW
1 Wool cover
4 the diaperpail pocket diapers

We are buying a few more. We really look for ones to hold in the newbron poo well.
#41 of 52 Old 08-31-2005, 12:46 PM

Wow, some of you mamas are so organized it just blows my mind! Not only do you know EXACTLY what brand of diaper supplies you have, but you know down to the minutest detail how many and in what size. ?????? How do you do that? ???? I'm a pretty organized person, but here's my best approximation of a list!

about 30 Snugglebottoms size small
about 10 Bummis covers size small
some large number of hand-me-down diaper covers of all brands
a bunch of prefolds for infants (which I don't intend to use unless there's an earthquake and all my Snugglebottoms get buried in debris or something)
several rolls of flushable diaper liners
a couple of fleece diaper liners

And for Baby when he/she is older...
roughly the same things, but in a bigger size!

I also (gasp) bought enough disposables for about the first 2-3 weeks only, in case I end up with another c/s or truly horrendously hard birth, so that I don't have to deal with extra washing until I'm all healed up. There's enough laundry already with three kids and DH and myself!!

Take it easy everyone!
#42 of 52 Old 09-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Hey AKA Mommy, I saw your post and also want to totally recommend the Baby Bunz company, They're awesome. Their number is 1-800-676-4559, Washington state time zone. The helpful women can walk you through the process and help you narrow down your preferences. They have a website too---babybunz.com---but I mostly do the phone with them because they're so nice to deal with and I always have a lot of questions. I have bought everything from them. The things are really high quality, always seem to fit, and the prices are reasonable, especially compared to some companies out there. Good luck! It is nice to be using cloth in this throw-away society, not only it's cheaper but it makes an important statement that we're not willing to contribute to the demise of the earth and make the diaper companies rich. (However, there are times when disposables can be mighty convenient! But I try to totally avoid them now.) By the way, has ANYONE got suggestions on SUPER ABSORBANT cloth diapers for my 5-yr-old guy, who still *sigh* wets at night? He is a really really heavy wetter, and disposable overnights have been the only thing that keeps the bed dry. But I hate using them. Any suggestions?
#43 of 52 Old 09-02-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler
about 30 Snugglebottoms size small
about 10 Bummis covers size small
some large number of hand-me-down diaper covers of all brands
Wow! more than 10 diaper covers.. That's A LOT!!
As far as I know you'd only need about 7-8 covers at a time (especially PUL kind). Maybe (before it's too late, if you haven't washed them), you should try to trade some of them for size M, so you won't have more than you need!
Just a suggestion....
#44 of 52 Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 PM

I didn't buy all those covers---they were hand-me-downs. I wouldn't have spent that kind of money, at least not on diaper covers LOL. I'm dying to know--what does PUL stand for? I'll probably kick myself when you tell me, and say, "Duh, I should have figured that out." I don't think I have a single brand new cover in the small size. I hope these second hand ones don't leak. A lot of people put them in the dryer and stuff, and the covers just lose their waterproofing ability. I hand-wash and hang dry covers, and they last forever.

I've been reading about some of you making diapers---can anyone recommend patterns for fitted diapers? I love to sew, even though all I really make is curtains. I think I could do some simple diapers. It would be fun. I love the flannels you can get in fabric stores. So pretty. What do you moms put inside the diapers, terrycloth?
#45 of 52 Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 PM

I think it's supposed to be poly u-something laminated.
It's the polyester kind...
Gosh, my preggo brain just doesn't work today!

btw, you're lucky to get that much hand me downs.. I'm jealous!!
#46 of 52 Old 09-03-2005, 02:40 AM

1 Bumkins AIO-Small (gift)
24 DSQ Infant Prefolds
2 Loveybums Wool Covers-Medium (starting at 9 pounds)
1 Small/Medium Wool Soaker from Apple Blossom Babies
1 Medium Grateful Bums Wool Soaker (on the way)-for 10-20 pounds
1 Medium Grateful Bums Wool Longies (on the way)-for 10-20 pounds
18 Kushies AIO-I can't remember the size but from 10 pounds up
6 Bumkins AIO-Mediums (10-22 pounds)
1 Medium BJM soaker (not sure when this will fit or if it will be absorbant enough!)
Snappies & wipes

...and always obsessively looking!

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#47 of 52 Old 09-03-2005, 11:30 PM

I just washed her clean diapers. They were my daughter's. Before that, they belonged to a woman online who had two children. I'm amazed they've held up so well.

Anyway,
About 15 prefolds. Some seem like they are preemie sized though. I'm not sure.
5 Fuzzibunz
4-5 Motherease
3 AIOs
And Almost 30 covers!!!

I didn't realize I had so many covers!!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#48 of 52 Old 09-04-2005, 12:50 PM

We are expecting our baby boy around Oct 10 so I'm really late on getting started with my stash. I'm just so confused and the confusion is making me rethink cloth diapers right now. :

Here are my questions (and yes I have read this entire thread and the FAQ's on the other board and half a dozen diapering web sites and yet I'm still confused)

If AIO were cheap, would everyone want those instead of CPF and covers?

Am I right that you fold the CPF into thirds and then place them in the covers?

Should I buy one of the already put together packages on a website like naturalbabies.com?

Other than the laundry part are clothe diapers really as easy as disposies?

Just finding out about this baby boy 2 weeks ago and only having 5 more weeks to prepare is making me a bit .KWIM?

There is so much to take in and most of my mental energy has been on inducing lactation and finding breastmilk donors. I almost forgot about my want of cloth diapers. I'm just so excited right now I can't stand it!

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#49 of 52 Old 09-04-2005, 01:03 PM

Personally, NO.. From what I know AIOs take forever to dry. So, I'd prefer fitteds + covers.

There are different kinds of folding besides that. I'm planning on folding them like this, with snappi....

Should I buy one of the already put together packages on a website like naturalbabies.com?
That's your call! (There are cheaper places, depends on what you want/need) Also, the trading post here has tons of nice used dipes!

Other than the laundry part are cloth diapers really as easy as disposies?
Kinda.. maybe it's harder if you plan to get the poop off the dipes before washing them (to make sure they're gone!)

Just finding out about this baby boy 2 weeks ago and only having 5 more weeks to prepare is making me a bit .KWIM?
I'm also a bit nervous about that. This is my first baby!

JMO!
#50 of 52 Old 09-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaK
We are expecting our baby boy around Oct 10 so I'm really late on getting started with my stash. I'm just so confused and the confusion is making me rethink cloth diapers right now. :
Oh, GO CLOTH! It's soooooo much better and fluffier.

Quote:
No. If AIOs were cheap, more people would want them, but not everyone. A separate diaper and cover gives you the flexibility of being able to go coverless if you want, and it's easier to get thoroughly clean.

Quote:
Prefolds are very flexible. You can fold them into thirds and place them in covers, or you can pin or Snappi them--whichever you like best, or mix and match.

Quote:
At this point I think it would be a good idea, since you sound kind of stressed out about it and it would shift a lot of the guesswork away from you. In fact, I kind of wish I had done that.

Quote:
Other than the laundry part are clothe diapers really as easy as disposies?
I can't imagine why not (especially if you do decide to go with AIOs ). Just remember, you're supposed to dump the mess in the toilet with disposables anyway, and the magic trash fairy doesn't make them disappear from the planet after you throw them away.

Quote:
Just finding out about this baby boy 2 weeks ago and only having 5 more weeks to prepare is making me a bit .KWIM? There is so much to take in and most of my mental energy has been on inducing lactation and finding breastmilk donors. I almost forgot about my want of cloth diapers. I'm just so excited right now I can't stand it!
You're doing great! I am excited for you!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#51 of 52 Old 09-04-2005, 01:09 PM

Hi Deanna, and congratulations on your marvelous adoption!! That must be super exciting. Little boys are so wonderful and fun.

I was just reading your questions and although I'm a little pressed for time right now, because the cubs are clamoring for breakfast/attention/etc., I have a few thoughts. One, I don't like the AIO's as much, I prefer contoured cloth diapers with a diaper cover, because I find the AIO's very bulky. My diaper bag is lighter with just the cloth diapers and a couple of covers. I don't know about everyone else, but I find cloth diapers in general to be pretty heavy and bulky. But maybe I don't know the best AIO's, either. Then there's the price...ugh. Again, I have not researched ALL the possibilities for AIO's.

Also, I do find cloth diapering really easy, admittedly not quite as easy as disposables though. But there are certain tools that make CDing easier, like flushable diaper liners and really good diaper pails for soaking, etc. But I sure do love the softness and chemical-free quality of cloth, and it's satisfying to pull a bunch of clean, warm diapers out of the dryer ready for the next day. Disposables are so horrendously expensive and icky.

I don't like the pre-packaged kits so much. I think it's preferable to get with a knowledgable, helpful CD company and hand-pick what you want. I like contoured, unbleached Snugglebottoms, with Bummis covers, for example. But there are a billion choices, and a good company ( I LOVE Baby Bunz!) can help you figure out what you need very quickly. Green Mountain is another company I love.

I'm afraid I need to get going. Probably this didn't help much. But there are so many women on this group who know SO much--hopefully they'll answer all your questions! Good luck with your new baby boy!!!!!
#52 of 52 Old 09-05-2005, 12:44 PM

Wow, my stash has improved since my last reply!

Now I've got:

Fitteds

2 newborn size fitted from Muttaqin (unicorn, kitties in teapcups)
1 newborn size from Sugar Plum Baby (blue with frogs)
1 newborn/small Loveybums organic velour print (lavender butterflies)
1 small Juicy Toots fitted (garden print)
3 small elfin unders by Patchwork Pixie (sushi, green dogs, yellow/blue/green lwi)
1 medium elfin under by Patchwork Pixie (blue batik patchwork)
2 small firefly (sky blue, red)
1 small Puddle Catchers (white)
1 small from Patty Naps (ice cream print)
1 3 step rise 1 from Muttaqin (dots)
2 small unknown fitteds bought from __
1 small Under the Nile
8 Suzie One Size (Sos) fitteds (green apple dye, serenity print flannel, barnyard print, avocado, sea print, amy butler green willow print, red plaid, amy butler tangerine print)
6 small Kissaluv Contours (yellow&purple)

Prefolds

6 unbleached pre-folds
8 hand-dyed chinese pre-folds

AOI's

2 small Very Baby (green plaid, cherries)
1 small Calico Baby (bug print)
1 size 1 Sunflower Derrieres velour AOI (limeade knit)
1 size 1 Sunflower Derrieres microfleece AOI (dilly dally print)

Covers

1 small Juicy Toots cover (black&fuschia)
1 newborn/small Loveybums wool crepe cover (lavender)
1 newborn wool soaker capris knit_by_tigs (lavender)
1 small wool soaker pants by knit_by_tigs (pinkish-browns)
1 small Tykie Diapers popcorn wool cover (purple)
1 newborn Bummis Super Whisper Wrap (white)
1 newborn Imse Vimse Bumpy Day cover (teddy bear print)
1 newborn Bummis Whisper Pant (white)
1 newborn Essential Saltes Baby pul cover (alexander henry's "pixie" print)
1 newborn Essential Saltes Baby pul wrapping cover (retro apple print)
1 small Aristrocrat wool cover bought from ___ (farm scene)
1 medium Woodland Wool Wrap by Patchwork Pixie (small stripes recycled wool)
1 medium Patty Naps cover (princess print)

Other

1 small Fuzzi Bunz (baby blue)
6 snappis

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page