Where are you having your baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 07-27-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At home, a birthing center or in the hospital?

We are having our baby at home. It will be our first homebirth adn hopefully a waterbirth. Our first was born in the hospital with a CNM and our last two were born in hospital attached birthing centers with CNMs. I have to say I am very very excited about the homebirth it is almost like this is as exciting as my first becasue everything is a bit different. I have been having a blast shopping for my birth pool we are using one fo the inflatables. I am probally gonna pick it up next week and do a test run. I can't wait for my next appt.
I never thought I would be this excited about this pregnancy as it was very unexpected and very very unplanned.
#2 of 32 Old 07-27-2005, 11:03 PM

It will be a home waterbirth. Oh, I am getting so excited too. Our first was at a birthing center. I am so looking forward to birthing at home this time for so many different reasons. This pregnancy has been completely different so I'm sure the birth will be too. We are renting an AquaDoula tub. I can't believe it...only 7-9 weeks until we have a new baby here!

#3 of 32 Old 07-27-2005, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we are planning our second home waterbirth also, with a CPM.
#4 of 32 Old 07-27-2005, 11:40 PM

This is such the dilemma for me.

I do not particularly care for the birth center. My home is too far for a practical chance at a homebirth.

A friend just offered her house, very comfy and very nice for birthing tonight to use. It's a great distance from the birth center which would maximize my chances for a homebirth. Would any of you consider this scenario? The friend is a super close friend and our families mesh really well... It's an exciting prospect for me.
#5 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 12:11 AM

At home, unassisted, preferably on the back porch (hoping for another nighttime baby) in the fishy pool.

Amanda, I am afraid I don't understand your question entirely. You say your home is too far for a practical chance at homebirth, and then that your friend's home is at a great distance from the birth center, which would maximize your chances. I don't understand how one home far away can be counterproductive but another far away can maximize your chances? Honestly, I don't understand what distance from the birthing center/hospital has to do with your chances of a successful homebirth to begin with. Although, to be honest, my proximity to Tripler is enough to keep me at home through just about anything.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#6 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 12:49 AM

Homebirth, hopefully a water birth with a CNM.

We are so excited!
#7 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 08:44 AM

Our homebirth midwives are also the birthing center midwives. They are very, very busy. So, if I go into labor on a clinic day or a day where there is another mama who is also in labor, then my home is too far for them to still attend me. I would have to transfer to the birthing center. Sorry this wasn't clearer in my first post. (I live about 40-45 minutes away on a good day with no traffic).

We live in a homebirth vacuum, to be honest. There next closest midwife is more than an hour away. Which would still work for a homebirth, but traveling for appointments is not necessarily my best plan with 3 kids, semi-reliable transportation, etc. Honestly, this is where I am going to be practicing when I complete my education, so it will hopefully prevent this issue for other women.

My friend's house is very, very close to the birthing center, so the midwives might be able to attend me, and still have clinic day or another birthing woman at the BC.

There's nothing *wrong* per se, with the birth center, just little things, you know? It's not like a home--a fax machine by the birthing pool, etc. It would be defnitely doable, but not my "ideal."

Is that more helpful? I was a bit rushed and groggy when I was posting last night.
#8 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 AM

at home! My last baby was born at home too

My first 2 were hospital births...not horrible experiences but not ideal either

I am actually considering going unassisted this time!
#9 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 12:39 PM

At home. With or without an attendant, depending on our finances... I'm not going to the hospital, unless there is a REAL need. Now that I know how much my insurance is worthless, and I believe more than anything that my body will do this on its own, I've decided I will be at home. I'm hoping the midwife will be there just to give me suggestions as labor progresses - the initial phone conversation really gave me hope. But also, there is the money issue. I can't ignore it. Money is just not there, and I just keep thinking "why should I be so concerned over something that nature has designed for me to do just because of money?"

Anyway, no matter what, this birth will not be a repeat of my last one!
#10 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Amanda,
If it were me I would try for the homebirth at my own home and if it ended up being a day I had to go in to the birth center I would. I would be more commfy there than at a freinds house. But that is me. If you are very comfortable with your friend than go for it.

One question, once she is at your house she isn't going to leave to go back to the birthing center is she? I mean it isn't going to be like your contractions are a few minutes apart and now you have to drive 45 minutes to a birth cneter.
#11 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 01:43 PM

I suspect that she wouldn't even consider coming if there was a chance that another woman might be birthing at roughly the same time. The birth center isn't really *that* bad, just not ideal, you know? They weren't very open to the discussion of a homebirth when they found out that I lived so far away.

I appreciate your feedback. I've said to my husband that all I really need her for is her bag of tricks, which honestly, I could have here, just in case of an accidental UC.
#12 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 03:58 PM

planning a vbac in the local hospital. erin was born there and I felt comfortable and I feel at ease. My dh is totally anti homebirth and given my loooong labor experience with erin and ultimately I chose to have a csection, I feel like a hospital is a good place.

The one thing I'm kinda bummed about is constant monitoring of the baby. But I'm ok with it -- I just hated having anything on my belly, YK?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#13 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 PM

We're planning a home waterbirth.
We are using a homebirth midwife. If we do end up transferring, she'll stay on as our doula.
I am finally spilling the beans to my not-always-supportive family. They all want to make sure that *IF* there's a problem, I *will* go to the hospital. [DUH!]
I really like my midwife, and would love to have her attend the birth. But a small part of me wants to UC. Thankfully, she's a very hands off midwife.
My first pregnancy ended with me having PIH and developing Pre-e. The induction failed and I had a c-section. I do not like the way I was treated, so I want to avoid the hospital at all costs. Being a VBAC, I don't feel like fighting with medical professionals for my right to have a VBAC. :\
Plus, I don't want to stay in a hospital any longer than I have to! So home is best!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#14 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM

I plan on laboring at home for most of the time then going to the hospital to give birth. We currently live less than 10 minutes from hospital, but will be moving further away in a few weeks. It will still take less than 30 minutes to get there. But, I have been in L&D a few times in the past couple of weeks and the bed is so uncomfortable and I really don't want to spend the majority of my time in labor on my back with monitors. So, labor at home, birth at the hospital.
#15 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedjess
But, I have been in L&D a few times in the past couple of weeks and the bed is so uncomfortable and I really don't want to spend the majority of my time in labor on my back with monitors. So, labor at home, birth at the hospital.

eeek! Hope everything's ok.

My hospital has the remote efm system. basically a belt you wear around your belly that talks to the machine in your room (and at the nurse's station). So although I labored forever last time, I spent none of it on my back.

#16 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I had all three of my kids at three differnt hospitals and I wa never made to stay in bed. My first I think they checked more often I had to lie in bed for like 15 minutes at a time or something. I got Stadol with him though and it knocked me out for quite a few hours. So it is groggy. For my second I was only on the fetal moniter till my contractions kicked in (I was sort of induced no pitocon). And my last I had an awsome CNM. She only required you to go on the machines for 15 minutes when you first get there. after that she used a hand held thingy. Can't you just tell them LOOK I AM GETTING UP. lol
#17 of 32 Old 07-28-2005, 08:39 PM

At home in water.
#18 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 AM

hospital for me I've heard so many wonderful stories about home and water births, i'm totally bummed, but trying to make the most of it. If i did it at home, it would have to be unassisted, as i live an hour away from the hospital, and i *think* it's illegal for a midwife to attend a birth outside of a hospital or birthing center in this state, though i haven't been able to find any real info about that.

Speaking of homebirth vacuums, the nearest midwife to me is 2 1/2 hours away (in another state, no less) and the one i could have had for my other two children (but didn't know existed) retired this year! Figures, huh?
#19 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RyvreWillow: midwifery being illegal in your state does not affect YOU. It is that in the event of something going horribly awry and the authorities find out, the midwife can be arrested and charged. But YOU cant. Just wanted to clarify.

On an unrelated note, my grandma lived in Osage Beach while I was growing up, and I was there a LOT. Wondered if you were near there in your "Ozark Mountains" location!!
#20 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 AM

We're planning to have a homebirth, maybe waterbirth...
#21 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 AM

Planning to birth at the hospital where I am an l&d nurse. The same cnm who delivered the first 3 will deliver this one. I feel comfortable there because they know my style. I was only there for a little over an hour with the last one. Did the initial FHR check and then I feel bad for my friend who kept trying to intermittently listen to the baby while I was standing by the side of the bed. I kept knocking her hand away. This time I will labor as much at home and then go to the hospital. Only 6 miles away. Planning on having the kids with us and someone to watch them. Either my mom or mil. I am planning on delivering the baby to my belly again once the midwife delivers the head and shoulders. That was the best last time. I pulled her up onto me and was the first to see she was a she. I'm opting for an early discharge as long as everything goes as planned. Hoping to be home 6-8 hours later. Depending on the time of day. Too bad my family practice group uses the pediatric hospitalists to see their babies in the hospital. They might give me some flack. I've talked to my group so hopefully things will work smoothly.

tatooedjess-I hear you about the uncomfortable beds. We get comments all the time from our patients about how bad the beds are.. That is why I want to be home in my own bed. The last time I slept one night on the pull out chair bed. Even that was more comfortable than the labor bed. They serve the purpose of breaking apart to put legs in stirrups, but that is about it. Glad the midwives don't break the beds apart. Plus I keep the baby with me the whole time so what is the point of me even being there. My friends would feel guilty there wasn't more they could do for me.

Patti
#22 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 12:07 PM

patti, if I recall correctly, my hospital swaps beds...as in the bed for l and d is not the same bed you sleep in. At least that's what happened when I had the csection.

#23 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 12:19 PM

Will you guys laugh at me if I tell you I still don't know??

Midwives are VERY hard to come by around here but I am still searching....and praying that one will take me on this late in the pregnancy.
If I end up being lucky enough to find one we want to try a homebirth...
And if we never do it will be a hospital delivery...though I will do everything in my power to have it before we get there!
I want to stay home AS long as I can....the comfort level is just so much higher at home!
So we'll see....fingers are DEFINITELY crossed we luck out and get a midwife! That would be AWESOME!
#24 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Carsonsmama- Where are you in Canada I have a few Doula friends in Canada maybe they could suggest some midwifes to you.
#25 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 PM

Kerc-Yeah we have special med/surg beds that we give to patients after they have had a c/section. This is because they are on bedrest for 12 hours at least and stay in the hospital for 4 nights. We also give these beds to our antepartum patients who spend a couple of nights with us to a couple of weeks. We only have a certain number on the floor and in our extra stash area by the elevators. Sometimes our c/s rate is so high that even c/s patients sleep on the labor beds for a couple of nights. Guess they could make an exception for me , but I really just want to be home.

Patti
#26 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 06:23 PM

HOMEBIRTH!!

First two kids- freestanding birthcenter
3rd, c-section(horrible long story)
So now I'm planning my first VBAC at home.
#27 of 32 Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoMom
RyvreWillow: midwifery being illegal in your state does not affect YOU. It is that in the event of something going horribly awry and the authorities find out, the midwife can be arrested and charged. But YOU cant. Just wanted to clarify.

On an unrelated note, my grandma lived in Osage Beach while I was growing up, and I was there a LOT. Wondered if you were near there in your "Ozark Mountains" location!!
I totally lack the confidence to entertain the thought of an unassisted birth, though it's super-cool that some can do it

i'm about 3 hours south of Osage Beach. I've been there once; a little wild for me though, lol. I grew up on Table Rock, and it's quite a bit different! i don't recommend going out on a boat on Lake of the Ozarks while pregnant, haha! I thought my first child was going to fall out going over some of those crazy wakes! Heck, i don't recommend going out there at all, unless you have a huge boat, preferably painted a florescent color.
#28 of 32 Old 07-30-2005, 03:53 AM

We're doing another hospital birth. With DS, I labored at home for about 16 hours, then we headed to the hospital when I felt "ready". Turns out I was only 3cm, but I progressed pretty quickly in the hospital shower, and delivered 4 hours after being admitted.

I also do not dig wearing that FHR band around my belly, and being treated as if I were sick. Last time I developed a low-grade fever and they put me on IV antibiotics. Ugh! Other than that, I went unmedicated, and plan to do so again. I do hope my labor is shorter than 20 hours this time, though.

I don't know why L.A. doesn't seem to have any birthing centers...there are a whole bunch in Ventura County.
#29 of 32 Old 07-30-2005, 08:26 AM

Amanda~I've put some thought into what more you have shared of your situation...And I don't have advice, but I do have a couple of points you might want to consider. The first is that women tend to labor best in their own homes. This is why labor so often slows down when women go to the hospital--subconsciously they are reacting to being out of their own territory (Birthing from Within explains this phenomenon quite well). How well you would labor at your friend's house depends on how certain you are that you will be completely comfortable there. If any part of your mind is worried about making a mess or making a scene or being "unguestlike," you might have problems.

However, you also have to take into consideration the impact a birth attendant with a negative attitude is likely to have on you. If your midwife doesn't want you to birth at home, even if she consents to attend you, you're probably very likely to wind up with a transfer to the birth center anyway. Her attitude will transmit itself to you, and if she's against homebirth IMO she's that much more likely to push for a transfer that might be unnecessary.

If I were you, and comfortable with laboring at my friend's house, but uncomfortable with the idea of UC (which is actually what I would do ), I would go to her place and labor there as long as physically possible--hey, you've got three kids, you know how long you tend to stay in transition, right?--and only go to the birth center when I absolutely had to. Or, you could stay at the friend's home with the idea of an "oops" UC, so you'd still be close to the birth center if you felt the need to go in.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Patti Ann, I think I'd have killed someone if they'd tried to keep me in the hospital 4 nights after my sections! Two nights were more than enough; I was planning to call my husband to sign me out AMA the third morning after I had Linda, but before I could an OB came in and cleared me to leave. :LOL My recovery went so much better after I left the hospital it's not even funny.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#30 of 32 Old 07-30-2005, 01:05 PM

sagesgirl-I know what you mean. We have some patients that leave after 3 nights, but others don't ever want to leave. They know they get 48 hours after a vaginal delivery and 96 hours after a csection. Sometimes we have patients staying the full 48 hours even if that means leaving at 11:30pm at night. Totally crazy to me. Glad you started getting better once you got home.

Patti

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page