Gestational Diabetes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else get bad results from their 28 week glucose test?

This is my second time with gestational diabetes. The diet seems like it will be easier this time in our "carb conscious" society. It's still no fun giving up my icecream though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2005, 03:37 PM

I was just *required* to take the test on Friday (28w). They made me take it if I wanted to birth in the birth center. I hated it...so now I have to wait for the results.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 AM

Mamabear-

I found out last week that I have GD. : Went to the nutritionalist on Wednesday and have been testing my blood sugar ever since. I am doing pretty well and hopefully will keep it that way without medication. I have had so many things thrown at me in this preganancy,this is just icing on the cake.
I have a sence of "control" with this though. Taking sweets out of my diet has been tough, but it was something I knew I needed to do for years. I feel like I am eating so much less food and seem hungry... hard for me to wait for my planned emals and snacks. I am interested if my weight gain will be lower than it had been other pregnancies.
This is my first time being diagnosed with GD,but I have a feeling something was up in my first pregnancy. My son was born a month early but was 7.5 lbs, he was jaundice and he had glucose "issues" at first.
One thing I am worried about is how the GD will affect my birth. I am with a OB at a hospital, so I don't know what they will want to do now that I am "high risk", not that i wasn't before, I am struggling with preterm labor and a softening cervix. Well I will stop now....
We only have a little ways to go....
Love,
Kathleen in San Diego
EDD 10/13/05

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:42 PM

I just got my results today - sugar too high - iron too low. I have to go back and take a 3 hour fasting glucose test. I can tell you I won't be feeling well that day!! No food all night and morning then a nice sugar drink - UGH!! I know I've been eating way too many sweets and fruits, but I have had no self-control - sweet things have been my only craving. Do you think if I cut them out now I will have better results when I retest next week? I really don't want to be diagnosed with GD and am feeling discouraged at this point.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Patewrite, one option for you is to get a glucose monitor and check your sugar at home. I've been doing that, and am quite comfortable now refusing the oral GTT. My sugar levels are fine-- low, even. The home testing is no big deal, and it's a much more accurate way to assess it than sugar loading. Also, you don't feel horrific afterward. Then if your levels ARE high, you'll know and can take appropriate action.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 AM

i'm preparing to battle it out with my OB this morning, lol, because this is my first appointment since my sugar tested at 146, and they said it had to be below 129. So i don't know if that's "really" diabetic or not, but they said i "must" schedule a 3-hour test, which i have yet to do (and certainly do not plan on it).

It should be interesting; my OB is VERY oldschool (not to mention ancieint); i printed off Henci Goer's article, and highlighted my main conserns to give him. My hubby is going with me too, which is good, because he's militant for natural medicine, hehe, and unlike me, he will be sure the doc hears all he has to say, lololol!

Wish me luck, i may be doctorless before the day is over :P
Old 08-04-2005, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

litlwons,

My weight gain actually stopped when I started the diet during my last pregnancy (which was fine because I had already gained 30 pounds). My birth actually went very smoothly, I think becuase my son was a nice small size (6 pounds 11 oz.). I was really scared at first because everyone kept telling me I was doomed to have a c-section due to the diabetes. What's ironic is that my son ended up being smaller than all of my friend's babies. This time I'm not really scared about the birth, but I do want to watch my sugar levels closer, especially close to my due date. I wasn't quite as good at keeping them low right before my son was born so he needed some formula in the hospital. He still nursered great though, so it all worked out.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 PM

Mamabear - That's great that all went smoothly. What type of diet were you following? I've been cutting out the sweets, but am not sure what else to be doing. I've already gained 25 lbs and am measuring "big" according to my last few visits.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:08 AM

Sorry- saw the thread title and decided to barge in from the August Due Date Club.

I am also on my second pregnancy w/GD. I was borderline last pregnancy and VERY borderline this pregnancy but I continue to moniter my sugar levels 3x daily (and after things like B-day cake!) and also test for keytones. Taking Chromium Picolinate helps your body naturally deal with insulin (I went to a naturopath in my first pregnancy). It's a PITA but I delivered a healthy 7.4 baby last pregnancy (a week early thankfully- avoided the whole induction thing) but it is annoying to be labeled as high risk. I look at this second DX as a sign that I need to permanently change my sugar habits. I eat very healthy but have terrible sugar cravings and no will power! Basically- it there is sugar in the house- I cannot stop myself from eating it. I always feel so much better when following this diet.

Patewrite- as far as cutting out sweets- when dx w/GD you need to be monitoring ALL carbs since all carbs break down into sugar (for example- my body deals with dark chocolate very well but a 1/2 c of white rice sends my BS for a loop!)

The basic GD diet is this:
Breakfast: 20 g of carbs
Snack: 15 g of carbs
Lunch: 30 g of carbs
Dinner: 30 g of carbs

You need to be getting all these carbs (whole grains better than simple sugars but I have used my snack for total crap many times as long as it stays within those ranges). The carbs are necessary- if you are not getting enough carbs, your body will start to break down the fat cells in your body and create keytones which are not healthy for your baby.

BS is most affected in the AM so avoid fruit in the morning (fruit is what I miss the most this time), ALWAYS have protein with your carbs.

SO eat a lot of meats and veggies and keep up with your carbs. I've got an extra glucose monitor from my last pregnancy (they gave me a new one) and would mail it to you if you are interested. You would need to get test strips and lancets (and a new battery!) and I would recommend getting Ketostix as well.

I don't think GD is something to really be concerned about (totally agree with Goer) but I don't want to take any chances and certainly do not want diabetes later in life so I follow the diet (pretty loosely this pregnancy- very strict my first pregnancy)...it's a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things and I've gained 35lbs at almost 37 weeks and gained 30 lbs and delivered at 39 weeks with my first. Had I eaten whatever I wanted (cake, ice cream, cookies- all I craved!) I would have gained much more!

Great GD snacks that help w/the sugar cravings:
dark chocolate covered soy nuts (1/4 cup is 14 g of carbs)
(1) Uncle Eddies Vegan Trail Mix cookie
Small apple with cheese and peanut butter
Sadly- otter pops- only 4g of carbs but delicious!
Almonds are also great for BS levels

BTW- as soon as I deliver I BINGE on things I haven't been able to have (I get great Chocolate chip cookies from Deluscious- the best! and a Hansen's cake and eat them both until I literally feel sick...also had a grilled cheese within 2 hours of delivery last pregnancy...then after about 2 weeks- I get back to cutting out sugar and it's funny- the less you eat of it, the less you want it!

OK- enough rambling...

Traci
Old 08-05-2005, 12:19 PM
p.s

Hmm, I'm going to respond at the risk of offending those very AP...

GD is not something to be taken lightly. I think it would be copyright infringement to cut and paste text from OB textbooks (which I have access to online), so I'll paraphrase. The following is referenced from Gabbebstetrics-normal and problem pregnancies. 2002

First: why try to identify GD mammas?
Mainly to decrease the risk of morbidity and mortality in the baby. The high sugar, and yes, high ketones levels alluded to above, are very clearly associated with birth defects and baby loss/miscarriage (also other things like free oxygen radical excess). Some of the birth defects are very serious. Fetal macrosomia, or a big baby, is not considered a birth defect but can complicate delivery.

Certain studies show that of mammas diagnosed with GD, about 50% will develop diabetes mellitus down the line, anywhere from 5-20 y depending on whose study you read and how long they followed the patients.

But a huge, huge part of diabetes is diet and lifestyle. Yes, certain people may be predisposed to getting it (because of family genes) but current thought is that it doesn't develop without the right setting (diet).
Pregnancy is a state of increased insulin resistance, which means just because your fasting glucose is okay, doesn't mean that your body can handle a glucose load well. Hence the need for the 2 hour, and if necessary the 3 hour tolerance test.

User Tag List