October DDC, weekly thread 8/1-8/7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, how are all the October mamas doing this week?

Things are going well here. I had my 28 week midwife appointment today (I'm 28 weeks, 1day ish), which included the oh so lovely glucose test and Rhogam shot. I'm measuring at 30 weeks and have gained 4 lbs since my last appointment 4 weeks ago, for a total of 20-22 lbs. Somewhere in there, anyhow. The midwife couldn't tell yet if the baby is head down, but I think he is, just based on the type of movements I'm feeling and where.

My daughter, 25 months old, has weaned. I'm suprised and a little sad, but I'll get over it! It's weird that I started this pregnancy nursing two, and now I'm not nursing anyone (ds weaned very early on in the pregnancy, at 4 years, 6weeks old, and probably would have regardless of me being pregnant).

The kids are both getting excited about "baby brother," especially dd. She always makes me lift my shirt so she can talk to him and hug him and kiss him (because, apparently, she can't SEE him, if my shirt is down :LOL). We still haven't picked a name. We are trying one on for size right now, but I'm not completely convinced yet. Add that to the fact that if we call him anything but "baby boy" or "baby brother," dd goes into a tizzy about how that's NOT his name.

I think that's about it for news here - everyone else?
#2 of 32 Old 08-01-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse
My daughter, 25 months old, has weaned.
Awww...my 28 month old has weaned as well. We went on vacation at the beginning of July, and that's around the time DH took over bedtime responsibilities. DS was only nursing to sleep at that point. So my boobs will have an entire 4 months to themselves before I start it all up again. It is definitely bittersweet. I do miss it...I'm so glad I'll soon have another little nursling here.

I have my 30 week appointment tomorrow. I'm doing okay, with the exception of sciatica pain (mostly when I first wake up in the morning...it improves after I've walked the dog) and varicose veins in my vulva.

Today it dawned on me: "What is going to happen to those veins when I'm pushing the baby out???" That made me a little nervous. I had bad tearing last time...I'm trying to avoid that with perineal massage, better pushing position, and listening to my body's cues. I pushed VERY HARD and very abruptly because DH and the nurses said "Push harder! We can see the head!" I'm one of those people who loves a challenge. I thought "I'll show you a push" and bam out came the baby. But I was definitely worse for wear after that.

We are also nameless at this point. We have a list of about 5 boys names, and just 1 for a girl. I want to SEE and MEET the baby, and then we'll decide.

Hope everyone is feeling well and doing well!
#3 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 10:19 AM

Hi everyone, its been awhile since I've been online. I'm 31 weeks now and darn uncomfortable! It feels like the baby is squishing my stomach so I don't feel hungry but if I don't eat I feel incredibly nauseaus. Also all my stomach muscles ache like they are being pushed to the limit!

I've been doing Hypnobabies tapes and they have really helped me to bond more with the baby and stay relaxed.

Fitmama and eclipse I remember that bittersweet feeling when ds weaned. Its been more than a year now and I wonder if I'll remember how to breastfeed!

Fitmama, I also had the varicose vein problem but it didn't affect the pushing or cause tearing. I pushed ds out by laying on my left side and took my time. Hope that helps!
#4 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lily is still nursing! It's driving me out of my mind. Really. She is 2 yrs 9 months old, and clearly she is getting colostrum, because her poops are much different and nasty now. I really dont want to tandem, and I am trying to figure out how to very gently coerce her into weaning. We talk about mama making baby milk for the baby in my tummy, and she tells me baby will be drinking a bottle! She's cute and adorable and sweet and I love hear to pieces, but the emotions when she nurses have really hit an all time high. I feel so guilty for how i feel when she nurses, but at least I am being honest with myself!

My 30 week appt was on Saturday. I am measuring only 2 weeks ahead, as opposed to 4 1/2 weeks ahead at 28 weeks! Baby is STILL at 0 station, vertex, and is on the large side of normal for size. Probably closer to 3 1/2-4 lbs rather than 2-3 lbs. Normal for me, my 37 weeker was 7 lbs 5 oz, my 39 weeker was 9 lbs 4 oz. So somewhere in late second tri, there is some huge growth spurt that seems to happen in there. Urine looked fine, no protein, signs of GD, electrolytes, so that was good news.

Because of baby being at 0 station, the pressure in my tailbone and cervix is pretty intense, gets worse as baby gets bigger of course. I have to limit my outings to once a day, like one trip, not just going out and doing 3 stops or something. I had to stop exercising, which really bums me out. I get more BHs than I am comfortable with, and my womb actually feels sorta raw if I overdo it. I have to stand to finish my dinner most nights, because any more than about 20 minutes of sitting anywhere and my cervix has had it.

Guess thats about all for my update.
#5 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Hi everyone. It's nice to read how everyone is doing. I am 29 weeks and had my glucose and rhogam last week. I'm assuming the test was fine. My dd doesn't really seem to get that there will be another baby soon. Come to think of it, I don't think I do either!! I'm really nervous about the disruption to my routine with dd. My world revolves around her (as does my husband's, mother's and her nanny's). I'm so concerned about what happens when that changes and it has to change, right? I know that women and families have been having second (and third and fourth....) babies forever and the first child survives but it makes me very very sad to think about it.

Feeling pretty healthy. The heat here in the NE is ridiculous and it really gets to me. I have a long commute and walk to work and it can get really tough in the afternoon. I have my yoga class tonight and I really love that. I also signed up for a refresher childbirth class as I can't remember anything I learned the last time but I do remember that the breathing was very helpful. I just need a reminder!

It's coming up so soon and it feels like there are still a thousand things to do!

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#6 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 02:14 PM

Lets see. I'm sick, my oldest son is sick. I just rescheduled my appointment from this evening to next Monday morning. My son will be back to school that day (so early! it's still summer!) but my brothers & sisters will not so I can get my brother to keep the two little ones for me. Or my husband might do a halfday and come to the appointment. I hate rescheduling but I am just feeling awful and I know I won't want to drive anywhere. I'm currently hoping to convince my husband to come home early because the two younger ones are playing nicely & quietly. And we actually have the tv on (beetween the lions is on) which we haven't been doing recently. But I don't feel like I have the energy to do much like make lunch and watch them play outside which they will want to do this afternoon. So we'll see about that in a bit I guess. He can log on and work from home, which is nice.

Oh pregnancy wise? Everythings fine. The baby is so active. I'm really convinced my husband might be right about this being another spirited one. OH boy. I have noticed the spirited girls are just so much MORE spirited even than the boys But maybe not. We'll have to wait and see. At least we've had experience with the screaming non-stop and only one way to calm baby down ever working and no one but mommy will do. Oh goodness. I'm going to stop thinking about this and lay down again.

aisling
#7 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 03:22 PM

i'm glad to see this thread because I'm a cranky mess over here. It is hot hot hot. I have a fan on me at all times, my feet are swollen and I am sweating so much that by lunchtime at my desk-type job I need a shower. ick.

I'm experiencing serious pelvic pressure. Baby's moving a lot. I've been seeing a chiro. and it doesn't seem to help (makes me want to stop going, kwim?). I have about 6000 things to do on my list and less than 2 months to get them all in.

Plus I've been regularly walking/running and now my feet are killing me in the arches. I'm looking into some new shoes for said tasks. I have a long swim planned for tomorrow should help some. If only it would cool off enough to cook up some food and have decent food in the fridge.

I'm 31 weeks, I have a doc's apt next week...no diabetes, low iron -- same as with erin. So I'm doing molasses for iron and trying to jack up my red meat consumption.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#8 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 04:41 PM

I'm getting hot flashes. Or really, I just get hot for no reason. Last night, I started sweating and I said "Why is it so hot in here?!" and Adam replied "Actually...it's a bit cold in here." I've had the air condition on almost non-stop. I had to turn the fan on last night too. Yeeeesh! I wake up sometimes sooooo hot and sweaty!

I've been actually doing very well. I don't swell unless I"m out and about in the heat. Today, I have been swelling because we are low on my high protein foods, so I'm not getting as much protein as normal today and I've been slacking on my water. : Somedays it's just so hard to get into the groove of things.

I have no patience for the cats. I feeel sooooo bad, because they're probably thinking "Why did these people adopt us if she's going to just be mean to us???" I'm trying to hard to do better. A few weeks back, I was praying for patience because I had too little for my daughter and the cats. Now I have more for my daughter....but NONE for the cats!

At my 30 week appointment, I gained 9 pounds [I'm trying not to think that weight gain is a bad thing.] I'm measuring on time, baby's heartrate is normal, urine perfect, iron 12.5 (or something like that), declined the glucose tolerance test, and opted to have a 3 week appointment, instead of the usual 2. She says I'm doing great and she's not worried about me!

We start hypnobirthing August 13th.
My daughter turns 2 August 27th. We're having a quick, small lunch party for her before we head to our class. She will be getting babysat by my cousin. I was so worried we wouldn't find anyone to watch her [that I could trust, anywayz...!]

And...that's about it.
The baby is allowed to come between 36 and 40 weeks. I'm so uncomfortable, I don't know if I'd want her to wait until 42 weeks!! Of course, whatever she feels is best, is best, but UGH. I can't breathe, I walk funny, I'm achey, my hips hurt, I have new stretchmarks, I'm just not me. :P

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#9 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 06:49 PM

i met with less resistance at the OBs office than i thought i
would. The nurse and LPN both seemed baffled by my reasons for
refusing the second glucose test, but they admitted that it was my
choice (duh). I let them know i was completely willing to test my
own blood at home, as it's only their formal and unnatural test that
i have a problem with. They both seemed to think this was
unnecessary (what am i missing here?), but encouraged me to follow
the diet "if i wanted to."

Everyone's telling me that my blood sugar level (146) is extremely
high, and will most likely cause an extremely large baby, which i
have naturally. i told the LPN that it was NOT a concern of mine,
and i did not think induction or cesarian were viable "solutions"
when he suggested it, to something that isn't a problem. I also
said "a chubby baby's head isn't any bigger than a skinny baby's,"
and he looked at me like MY head was on fire.

So, i suppose i'm on a diet, though the paper the nurse gave me does
nothing but list a few foods and their serving sizes. I find this
extrememly vague, as there is no mention, besides that it's a "2000
calorie diet," of what else i should be eating, ie, number of sugars
(you'd think that would be top on the list!), carbohydrates, fats,
etc. All it does is give me one sample menu, and say i can
substitute in other foods. Maybe i'm slow, but i don't see how this
is helpful. My husband thinks this list was meant for people who
have no basic knowledge of nutrition, as opposed to someone with an
ounce of common sense, lol

I realize i'm a chubby gal, but at week 28, i have only gained 4
lbs. I really do find it confusing that they want me to reduce
calories of all things!
#10 of 32 Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 PM

Ryvre, it's weird to see the "extremely" high 147 - I got 198 from the stupid 1 hr. test.

But all seems to be falling into place now. I got to talk with the midwife that does home waterbirths. I really, really like her. She's right up this forum's alley on just about every front. She said that it wasn't even over 200 and she doesn't see why after fasting, and swallowing all that glucose that it would have been less. Then she explained she uses the urine strips to indicate glucose presence, and if it appears a couple times, then we really focus on my diet. She already gave me some things to do. Especially since I'd already dumped most of the sugar from my life a couple years ago because I noticed it was messing with my moods and my weight.

She was really a positive force, and even my usually negative dh left feeling really good, and even had ideas about the money situation.

I wish I'd found her sooner. I really do.

Anyway, it was overall a bad weekend, as my dh's father had a couple heart attacks - one that was massive enough to nearly take his life. He made it, is conscious and the hospital isn't even monitoring him in any way. M-i-l was really wuite peeved today about him still being in the hospital room, when they weren't even monitoring him... They even acted like any time he started to get pain in his chest again he was inconveniencing them.

Yeah, I have little faith in doctors... My father kept getting told there COULDN'T be anything wrong with him a few months after 25% of his lungs were removed with cancer. He kept insisting, and they kept putting him off, saying there was nothing wrong. Finally, someone listened, but far too late, and the chemo treatments killed him... And here, I'm watching how they treat f-i-l, and just stunned...

No, I don't want to be anywhere near a hospital when I give birth.

Well, my dh's dad is recovering, and holding on tight to his life, then we talk to this beautiful midwife today, and some of the bad of the week is shaken off, now.

Hope everyone else has had a better weekend.

#11 of 32 Old 08-03-2005, 08:36 AM

my ob's office uses the 4 hr fasting and then 140 as the cut off for taking the second test. it's my impression that "extremely high" is not high 140s. dunno. mine was like 118 or something. what a stupid test.

#12 of 32 Old 08-03-2005, 08:25 PM

i am sooo confused about this diet thing The more research i do online, the more confused i am. It looks like the same stuff i already eat (no mention anywhere of cutting carbs or fruit juices, etc; in fact, it's the same as any other food-pyramid type diet) just smaller servings (to be honest, i never paid attention to "how much" i eat, though common knowledge would have told me it was too much).

So, to put it simply, i'm hungry, and i don't even know if what i'm doing is helping! It's all very frustrating. My next appt is in two weeks, so i'm going to ask to see a dietician or something--i'm hoping that doesn't just confuse me more, haha!
#13 of 32 Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 AM

Sorry Pyra about your Fil. I hope he is doing better. Glad you had a good visit at the midwives though.

Hope everyone else is doing alright with sickness and all the aches and pains.

I've been feeling really good. I had some pubic pain yesterday, so it was good I was on call for work instead of standing for 8 hours. It is much better today, so I think it might be related to my evening with dh on Monday night I have been trying to make more of an effort to exercise every day. I haven't run in 2 weeks and at this point I think I will just stick to walking. My goal is to walk 3 miles 5 times a week. I walked 4 days out of 4 so far this week, but Monday was only 2.25 and today was only 2. It was just too hot today. Low 90's and pushing the jogger so I stopped at 2. I did do some arm exercises though.

I had an appointment with the doctor today. My MW is on vacation. I'm up 27.5 pounds at 28 weeks. The most with any of them so far. Fundal height is 30-31. I talked with her about my desire for a Post Partum tubal. Dh is such a big chicken he will never go for a vasectomy. He let me have #4 so I am going to do this. Thing is I don't want general or an epidural. I would like it done under MAC anesthesia and local. She will talk with anesthesia to see if it is possible. Being post partum they are afraid of aspiration because of slow gastric motility. If they say no, she can do a vaginal tubal 8 weeks post partum under local and Mac anesthesia. We'll see. I really want an early discharge, but am running into issues with the peds in the hospital. They would want me to sign out AMA which I won't do because of insurance reasons. If they can do the tubal while I'm there that will probably be the best. I know myself and will drag my feet if I have to schedule it for after Christmas. Keeping my fingers crossed it will work out.

Dh is away for 2 nights so I think I am off to research cloth diapers some more. How about slings? Any recomendations?

Patti
#14 of 32 Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 AM

i've been struggling because each pair of shorts I own keeps getting tighter and tighter. I'm convinced I really don't need my normal prepg size + 2 in shorts. I mean really. so anyhow I know I have one pair that fits big. It isn't the most attractive pair of shorts, but I've been looking in earnest for them for about 10 days now. I found them this morning, in my dh's still packed suitcase from our vacation 10 days ago. I did a little happy dance and he laughed at me. I'm soooo comfy for the first time in days!

#15 of 32 Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 PM

well all the company is gone..yay...I have found myself in a pregnancy depression and it was really hard with all the crowd here...I think a bit of down time every day was what I needed but I couldn't even pee without someone knocking on the door.

So I have been miserable and didn't enjoy it one bit...not the wedding, the company, nothing. I am considering going to Newfoundland for a month...I wish I could...if I could find someone to drive down with me Iwould be gone in an instant.

I feel pulled apart and I need some time to get put back together. I cry at the drop of a hat and have sent my older kids to their dad's for a few days. Hubby went to work but will be home for the weekend. He's all freaked out because he's worried about me which makes me feel guilty. It's a vicious cycle.

Anyway I am trying to eat well and relax while I can. I hope I feel better soon.

I am a bit tired ofbeing pregnant...I went to a wonderful new consignment store yesterday and found 2 great pairs of maternity shorts for $8.50 and 14.00 so at least I have some comfortable clothes. Why do they make maternity shorts that fall down across your arse? and I love my pregnant belly(it's the only part ofme I do like these days) but I prefer not to show it to the world every single day...geez...this store is awesome...carries lots of herbal remedies and pregnancy teas(made by the lady, not packaged) and post partum herbal baths etc. Also carries slings and pouches and bfing supplies but not formulas. Then an awesome selection of clothes and toys...I bought a baby seat(one of those vibrating ones) and a potty seat for upstairs for Sophia. They also have some bfing pillows so I will also get one of those. and if the second hand sling I bought doesn't work well I will get one of theirs...they carry the heart2heart sling.

I can't wait for this baby...I really really want this baby but I wish the pregnancy was over...10 more weeks...if this baby goes post dates I think I will lose my mind.

73 more days until baby is due! I keep trying to look on the bright side!
#16 of 32 Old 08-05-2005, 06:03 PM

i wrote a long post and lost it. don't have the patience now to repost the whole thing.

but here's the short version:

are you getting enough protein and/or iron? Both make me crabby and cranky.

#17 of 32 Old 08-05-2005, 06:14 PM

You know, I keep thinking I posted to this thread. I could have sworn I posted earlier today, and yesterday. Well, I suppose it's probably my 2 year old has interrupted me before I actually post what I have written. :LOL

Sounds like everyone is having there share of ups and downs in these last few weeks of pregnancy. I've sure been having my share. I just feel so worn down and tired. Kind of mildly depressed. But I guess it's more mood swings since I do feel pretty good sometimes too. I don't want to do anything! And it seems this pregnancy I am doomed to experience occassional and unpredictable bouts of "loose stool" (as my midwife nicely calls it). Driving to my prenatal appointment yesterday, I had the sudden urge and boy is that one of the most unpleasant situations...I mean driving across a bridge, nowhere to stop, etc. I was ready to stop and find some trees and grass somewhere! It was horrible! Anyhow...it has happened maybe 3 times this pregnancy, and I think the best thing to do for me is if my tummy doesn't feel good then I need to listen to my body and stay near a toilet for a while...no driving across bridges when my tummy feels bad.

I am retaining water right now, not too bad though. It seems related to: excess carbs, and being too hot. It is sooooo hot around here these days. In the 90's still at 9pm!!! Give me a break!

We got our carpets steam-cleaned yesterday. It looks soooo much better. I really hope it keeps until the baby is born...it's one thing I wanted done before the homebirth. Now I just need to do some more organizing, re-caulk the bath-tub, make curtains.....

31w6d.....57 days until the "due date". I'm having strong feelings it will happen in more like 42 or 43 days though...(or maybe it's just a hope?)

#18 of 32 Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
i wrote a long post and lost it. don't have the patience now to repost the whole thing.

but here's the short version:

are you getting enough protein and/or iron? Both make me crabby and cranky.
my iron is low...I had it tested when I had the appendicitis attack and probably wasn't getting enough protein while company was here...they barbeque a lto and I was just eating the veggies and potatoes or corn or whatever...I am off veggie burgers and dogs...just sick of them. I also forgot my prenatals while we were away so that didn't help..that plus lack of sleep and exercise added to having company just plain wore me out.

I feel a bit better today...I ate well and I bought myself some rescue remedy which helps me get through when I get really upset and frustrated.

Also I got a nice compliment while shopping today(lady said I looked really good) and I almost cried...guess maybe a week of hearing how "huge" I am got me down as well...I am not a particularly vain person but honestly fat jokes are not appropriate for anyone even pregnant women : "can you fit in there?" and "don't break that swing" when I go to sit or "will the elevator hold you" is NOT funny. Then another lady I see a lot in the grocery store said "oh, you must be due any day now" and I have 2mos left

So I think I needed to hear something nice. Or maybe just knowing that this earth has at least one sensitive person left on it helped.

Anyway...hubby is home tonight, working tomorrow but home in the afternoon again...it's quiet here with the girls gone.

Thank you...

World Shakerz...I do that all the time...think I posted to a thread and then never see it.
#19 of 32 Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 PM

The other day i saw my dad briefly (he works weird hours, just like my husband does, so we see little of him), and on his way out i gave him a quick, one-armed hug. He said "yeah, make sure to turn sideways so nothing gets in the way!" to which i snapped "right, like your nose?" He's usually a nice, sensitive guy, but yeah, some people just don't understand that a pregnant lady may have a reason to be fat, but she still doesn't feel good about it!
#20 of 32 Old 08-06-2005, 11:20 AM

yep...constantly amazes me...my SIL(actually former...they just split up) said last time she saw me "you're HUGE"...ok this woman has recently gained about 50 lbs and is really really large....ummm....if I wasn't so shocked by how big SHE was I would have said "you too"...she's lucky I am nice!

and I am almost 30 wks and I have gained 25 lbs...right on as far as I can tell!

I am going to start calling them on it "so who told you it's ok to be rude to pregnant women?"

Someone said "that's a nice, big tummy you have there..you look awesome" that was way nicer! She had a 7 mos old and I think she remembered what it was like.

My hubby's sister called me huge and cracked jokes so often I refused to let her feel the baby move...she wanted me to let her know when baby was kicking but no way....she was so disappointed that the whole time she didn't get to feel the baby move...oh well, at least I had control over something :LOL maybe if you had been nicer to mommy
#21 of 32 Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 AM

allgirls...okay, at least now I know I'm not the only one who occassionally feels like a child when I have to use the potty :LOL .

A woman in the store the other day looked suprised when I told her my due date was October 1st. She was like, "That long, wow" It wasn't in a rude way though.
She thought it was cool that I was keeping the sex a surprise and all that. Then she told me the story of her most recent pregnancy and birth. Her baby had to be delivered at 25 weeks because of uterine rupture. 25 weeks! She was a 1 lb baby and the mom showed me her wedding ring and said, "This fit around her wrist when she was born". Amazingly this little baby girl only needed a ventilator for 1 1/2 days and is now 4 yrs old and going to preschool. The story gave me the shivers!

Jakob is still nursing. It's been driving me batty the last two days. I have days like that, where my nipples are just extremely sensitive. I tell Jakob they are sore, and he says, "Rub it? Kiss it?" He really wants to help me feel better. He didn't get a nap yesterday because I couldn't deal with the nursing at the time. I had nursed him for over half an hour and he didn't go to sleep so we just had to get up. He's been wanting to nurse a lot more lately too, it's been hard..he gets pretty upset.

Guess I will go make some breakfast now. What I really want is to walk across the street and get a Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks, but maybe I should just scramble some eggs and make some pregnancy tea.

#22 of 32 Old 08-06-2005, 11:47 AM

April: Lily will do that too. She unlatches and hugs my breast when I tell her it hurts. Shes down to 2x a day for about 30 seconds, its just all I can stand!!!
#23 of 32 Old 08-06-2005, 01:57 PM

well I went back to the consignment store and got a couple onesies for thebaby and a nursing pillow...I am so tired...hubby got up at 5am and I couldn't get back tosleep after he left.

So I finally got up and took Sophia to see Dora at the shop and she really enjoyed it. She particularly enjoyed the cotton candy...I was expecting a huge sugar rush but she was fine...sticky though..yuck!

Sophia is nursing maybe once a day but yesterday maybe 4 or 5 times...she has a cold so I encouraged her...she's almost completely better today so it worked well I think...she said "I sick mommy, I need tylenol"

(Her sister had a bad ear infection and she had tylenol so I guess that's where she got it since she never gets any herself)

So I gave her some last night and she slept really well.

So rest and nursing did it for her...yay!

The best thing is she no longer nurses to sleep so I don't have that pressure to nurse...it's nice that it's my choice and I rarely refuse her(she rarely asks) but at least I know the option is there and she can take it..sure takes the pressure off!

Emomom..that's so sweet about Lily hugging your breast...so cute

The other day I asked Sophia what her milk tastes like...daddy was there and jokingly said "sour?" and she said "no" I said "sweet?" she said "no" I said..."well what does it taste like" she said "ummmmm, nice" and kissed my breast and latched back on. I LOVE that part about nursing a toddler!
#24 of 32 Old 08-06-2005, 11:41 PM

Uuuggghhh my son is regressing! I don't know what his deal is, but he's been peeing the bed every night for something like 10 days! The last couple of nights i resorted to making him wear pull-ups--he finds that completely humiliating (he's almost 4), but i'm so tired of shampooing the carpet, bed, or couch at 4 am!

The only thing i can think of is that it's because of the baby coming, but he seems to be nothing but happy about that, and he had no problems at all when Willow came along. I'm just totally lost right now. He's been throwing major tantrums too, which is something he had pretty much grown out of. He made a horrible scene at the library today, because there was dirt on his shoes and he didn't want to go inside. It was my turn to do storytime too, so we had a major battle over that one, and eventually i just gave up and went home (after, of course, everyone in the building saw what was happening, and gave me nasty looks).
#25 of 32 Old 08-07-2005, 08:18 AM

Yeah, mine's decided to pee right on his bedroom floor, and he's 5 and a half... He seems to think it's the funniest thing. I've had a few talks with him, but man, his bedroom reeks...
#26 of 32 Old 08-07-2005, 06:51 PM

on not shampooing everything at 4 am....

no comments on how to prevent these incidents. I leave that to the other, wiser women. But can you do like some people do with cribs -- waterproof pad, sheet, 2nd waterproof pad, 2nd sheet. (I might use a doubled wool or fleece blanket cause we don't have 2 waterproof pads)...when he wets just take the top stuff and the wet sheet off.

#27 of 32 Old 08-07-2005, 08:29 PM

If he is peeing when he is sleeping then you may have a medical problem...it's hard to pee on purpose when you are asleep...does he normally get up at that time to pee? If not then he's probably not in control of this.

My sister was a bedwetter...turns out she has a slight malformation on her bladder
#28 of 32 Old 08-08-2005, 12:22 AM

Note, I know not everyone here is a Christian. When you see pray, substitute positive thoughts or vibes or whatever its really late, Im really tired, and I dont want to edit my post so thoroughly!!!!

My husband and I are taking a young friend of ours in who has been kicked out of her parents house. She was raised in our town by her paternal grandparents for 15 years, and has spent the last year moving from their house to her moms house and then to her dad's house. She has no desire to live with her grandparents again, and she is now 18. Since we have been her friends, and a positive influence on her in the past, she has asked if we can take her in for a while.

I am 9 weeks from my due date.

We are very clear on our young friend's past, and her tendancies toward disregard for rules, disrespect of her grandparents, things like that. Most of her behaviour she has told me in confidence as a friend, and some of my info comes from her best friend, our favorite baysitter and also a friend of mine. We trust her enough that she has babysat our children very often in the last 3 years. The reality of her living with us is quite another thing. We feel very much at peace with the fact that God wishes for us to shelter her, even though it looks like a really bad time to be taking on an 18 yr old living with us.

Please think of us as we pray through this transition, seek counsel from friends and church members, and please please pray for Lynn's heart to be softened, for her to receive our rules with understanding, and for the reality of the words I told her as I spoke to her tonight... that she will be treated just likea member of our family... that we will be expecting the same behaviour out of her as we would our own children, if they were 18. And that she will need to be mindful of setting a good example for our young children. Not just in teenage behaviour, but in speaking to me with respect, to obeying our rules because we are the parents that live here, etc.

I think Lynn's ideal situation would be to crash at our place for a few weeks and then find a single college age friend to get an apartment with and continue to live her life in an undisciplined fashion. Our hope is that in whatever time she is with us, we can help to shape her character a little more and to better equip her to be on her own once she can be on her own. I love Lynn, but she has the emotional maturity of a 14 yr old, and though it is not her fault, it does not help her in making good choices when left to her own devices. She has come to me in confidence, asking for advice, time and time again, and I was the first person she told that she lost her virginity and how she was feeling and stuff. If she lives in my house, I am going to do what I can to guide her, and I would assume she expects that from me.

Thanks. Im just rambling, but I wanted to get some people praying for this situation!
#29 of 32 Old 08-08-2005, 09:30 PM

Emomom...you are doing a good thing...maybe you could get her some counselling while she is staying with you if she is open to that.

I feel much better than I have..the depression is lifting and I think I am somewhat getting back to my old self again...thank goodness.

MY hubby ended up being home all weekend and not leaving until tonight...for the past 2 nights we have been taking care of us as a couple a bit more,talking a lot among other things :LOL ...

I love him so much...I told him I am so lucky that I have him...he's so patient...I can't imagine how I would feel ifI was going through this with someone who wasn't as understanding. he's the best!

And suddenly Sophia is pretty much potty trained...we have been showing her how to use the potty but with no pressure...suddenly she is asking to go and has been 100% for the past 2 days...she even pooped in the potty twice today...it's great!

I also called a preschool around the corner and they have a program for 2 year olds...I think she will go 2 days a week for about 3 hours if she likes it. We went for a walk two nights ago and she said she wanted to play with friends and I said "mommy will play with you " and she said "I want to play with friends my size" so I figure she's ready. We go Wednesday to check it out. It's bitter sweet...daddy got a bit teary-eyed when she told him "I going to school daddy" and said she's just growing up way to fast. Guess we have to let her go if she wants to. If she doesn't like it we will take her out. It does sound like a very flexible program though.

My older kids get home soon. It will soon get noisy.

cheers everybody!
#30 of 32 Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Oh man, I am soooo tired today. I've been so much more tired lately. I've only been getting about 6-7 hours of sleep at night. Been going to bed a little later than usual. But I've been taking 2 hour naps with DS in the middle of the day at least. But today is going to be a busy day so I don't see that happening.

It's a wierd combination, I'm both feeling the need to really slow down right now but I'm also feeling the need to make my apartment perfect for the upcoming birth. I don't remember anytime in my life where I vaccummed my house once or twice each and every day. I've been keeping my house a lot cleaner than usual despite feeling lethargic. Now I just need to move on to the next stage....organizing! My desk has piles of books and papers, our hall closet is topsy turvey, the changing table we used for Jakob when he was very small has turned into a messy shelf, and our bedroom closet needs work. Maybe I can get the desk done today. Once thing at a time.

I've taken over the job of budgeting from my husband. It's working very well. When he was doing the budgeting, he didn't really make a plan. He just paid the bills (and sometimes forgot to), and he would check online statements occassionally. And didn't really draw up a true financial plan. I've got a budget drawn up until October! Feels good to really be organized.

DS is really mad at me right now. My nipples are just too sore right now to let him nurse. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum, like naps and bed. Lately he's just been wanting to nurse off and on all day and I'm having to turn him down sometimes, it's just too aggravating when I'm sore like that.

Well, time to wake up the DH so he can get ready for work.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page