Food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-02-2005, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm supposed to eat a lot of protein and avoid sugar.

Unfortunately, knowing I'm supposed to eat something makes me not want it, and knowing I'm not supposed to eat something makes me want it.

In the absence of this kind of psychology, I'm a pretty all-around eater. Whole grains, cheese, and vegetables for the meal, chocolate pie for dessert.

But, knowing what I'm supposed to eat and what I'm not supposed to eat makes me crave nothing but chocolate.

I have to get my iron and sugar tested tomorrow and I'm worried they'll tell me "no more sugar for the rest of the pregnancy." How will I cope??

Thoughts?

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#2 of 7 Old 08-02-2005, 03:14 PM

iron: blackstrap molasses -- taken a tbs at a time

what to eat: add more protein -- sometimes sugar cravings disguise protein needs.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#3 of 7 Old 08-02-2005, 05:39 PM

Diagnosed last week with GD, I am on a no sugar diet. This is not an easy task for me, I like my sweets, not a lot but i like them. it is amazing how much my blood sugar goes up up up when I do have some. But it really hasn't been too hard... I have always wanted to lower my sugar intake but haven't been pushed to do so until now.
I eat green apples now, with Peanut Butter (which I love) also almond butter, that tends to curb my sweet tooth quite a bit.I am able to have a few graham crackers which I will also eat with nut butters. I am eating a lot of protein which probably helps my cravings. I have to eat at scheduled times, which has taken all of the fun out of eating for me. I never thought I could do it, tomorrow will be 1 week, I have about 7 1/2 to go until I think this little one will make his/her entrance. Then the true test will come... when they let me know if my diabetes has left.

Good luck! I know it can be hard!

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#4 of 7 Old 08-02-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your experience, litlwons. I hope it all works out for you. It's good to know that if the same thing happens to me, at least one person is living through it! And yeah, peanut butter sounds gooooood.

OMG, I am SO HUNGRY right now. It's 3:45 p.m. and I don't get off until five and I am so hungry I can barely concentrate. My co-worker is a sensitive new age guy so if I had more than $1 on me I would probably send him to the store, but I don't have the money or the guts, so I guess I will just be hungry. :

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#5 of 7 Old 08-03-2005, 05:57 PM
p.s

I like pieces of seaweed that I let sit on my tongue until they melt.
#6 of 7 Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 PM

My favourite protein snack is pecans. So yummy. I usually combine them with a yogurt to get some dairy in too.

I'm good at breakfast, lunch and the mid-day snack, but at dinner it all goes bad : I'm not a cook and my DH is pretty much a convenience cook -- you know like easy spagetti (just sauce and noddles), hamburgers, chicken fingers, french fries, heated up frozen burritos etc. On good days we have Chili which probably really isn't that good for you either.

Mom to DD(2005), SD(2004), DS(2013) and expecting another boy June 2014!
#7 of 7 Old 08-12-2005, 04:28 PM
p.s

here's another one..Imagine (brand) organic greamy soups. very yummy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page