Too late for a homebirth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really getting irritated with my birth center...not to the point that I hate going but there are all sorts of rules that I don't know about until 20 seconds before. They want tests and I don't want to do tests and then they hold the bc out in front of me (take the test or you can't have the baby at the bc). So my question is this:
Have any of you switched from hosp-BC or BC to homebirth at this late stage in the pg? I'm 28w now and am really thinking more about HB.

We may not be able to swing it but I'm still wondering about it and want to be prepared if we can!
#2 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 PM

It's definitely not too late!

Check out some independent midwives in your area. I know that worldshakerz switched in the last month or so.

I hope you get exactly the birth that you want!
#3 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 PM

My midwife runs a FSBC and does homebirths. We still haven't completely decided one way or the other. I wnt to do it at home for many reasons. I want to go there for the spa in a box type birth pool that I could never afford. If you can find a midwife or the midwife at the BC can do it at home without the tests than go for it.
#4 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 10:01 PM

It's only too late if you've already had the baby.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#5 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl
It's only too late if you've already had the baby.
ditto this.

I switched due to moving earlier on. I was 24 weeks when we had our first consultation, and 26 weeks when we had our first actual prenatal appointment.
I would say, it's too late to change, if you've already given birth.
I wouldn't be surprised if women have fired their care practitioner while delivering! :LOL

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#6 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Hey, I just talked to the only one I could find in the area even remotely like what I was looking for in the last couple weeks. I'm 30 weeks today, and she's willing to work with me the rest of the time and do the homebirth for me, and everything. Don't ever give up - unless of course, you've given birth, already.
#7 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know my midwife would take you I dont think its too late at all!
#8 of 15 Old 08-03-2005, 05:27 PM

Not too late at all! A woman in my childbirth class decided to switch from a hospital practice to a homebirth (with my midwife) on 7/21. She had one prenatal and promptly had a wonderful homebirth on 7/30. Not too shabby.
#9 of 15 Old 08-03-2005, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorin_Mama
Not too late at all! A woman in my childbirth class decided to switch from a hospital practice to a homebirth (with my midwife) on 7/21. She had one prenatal and promptly had a wonderful homebirth on 7/30. Not too shabby.
Wow that's quick!! I gues she must've been comfortable with the MW and her choice!! Good to know that it's not too late...I still have to talk it up/convince dh that it is better. So we'll see!
#10 of 15 Old 08-04-2005, 01:14 AM

I agree...it's not too late!

If I were you I'd switch. If they are like that NOW, what will they be like when you are in labor????? Scary.
#11 of 15 Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnbnhome
Wow that's quick!! I gues she must've been comfortable with the MW and her choice!! Good to know that it's not too late...I still have to talk it up/convince dh that it is better. So we'll see!
She was, AND my midwife is a really amazing woman. The mom had wanted a homebirth all along but her husband was freaked about it. She finally got to the point where she couldn't stand it anymore and slammed her foot down. It looks like she did it just in time too.

Good luck convincing your DH. I found that having Matt actually talk to some homebirth midwives made a difference. I could never convince him, but licensed, experienced professionals were much more persuasive.
#12 of 15 Old 08-04-2005, 09:40 PM

Hi mama~

I just had my first Hypnobirthing class, and about half way through I realized I want a home birth, not a hospital birthing center like I have been planning. We live 40 min. from a hospital, so that's why I was reluctant to have a home birth in the first place. I definitely don't think its to late, and we are going to start interviewing midwifes next week. I really wasn't clicking with the hospital midwifes anyway. Go for what ever makes you feel more comfortable! Best of luck~

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#13 of 15 Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 PM

It's nice to have at least two weeks between the switch and the birth so you can get to know her and her policies and get comfortable. Sooner is better just so you know what's going on, but explore your options! It's free to check out other things - it's just time.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#14 of 15 Old 08-05-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas! I *really* am thinking about it more seriously now. I am tired of waiting an hour to 1.5 hr for every appointment with the mw. Last appointment took from 830-almost 11! AND I had to be there 30minutes early to find parking, walk to the office and check in early.

I really enjoyed the experience last time when dd was born...but this time I am much more aware of my surroundings (this is my 3rd--I'm a little slow : ) and my wants and needs for this birth. I will be convincing dh during our drive camping this weekend He won't be able to escape me in the car. And when we get back I will look into a new mw

That's my plan for now
#15 of 15 Old 08-05-2005, 11:53 PM

Good luck!

Just a braggy FYI -- my homebirth midwife comes to my house and stays for 1-2 hours. That's so much better than the office you've been dealing with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page