Leaking colostrum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Already?! I know I had it a bit early last time, but holy smokes. I'm only 28 weeks. I wonder if this has anything to do with already having nursed for three years, or if it's just this particular pregnancy. With all the contractions I've had, part of me also worries that maybe my body is gearing up for an early birth. Thoughts?
#2 of 10 Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 AM

Not leaking it, but it is definitely there for me when I or dh squeezes. I remember being able to squeeze out colostrum when I was about 20 weeks with my first pregnancy. I think it also makes a difference that you have already nursed. Some women just produce more colostrum on a whole. Don't think it is an impending sign of an early delivery for you though.

How many contractions are you having? How painful are they? Next time you get them lay down on our left side and drink a quart of water and see if that helps. If that doesn't get rid of them I would call your midwife. Our standard instructions for patients. I know that with each pregnancy I've had more BH contractions each time, but they aren't painful.

Patti
#3 of 10 Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 AM

I had some leak already too...I am 28 weeks too.
However it only seems to be there occasionally....
I can tell it is a work in progress though because the "twins" are getting bigger and bigger, and can be rather painful if touched or bumped.
Seems early to me too.....maybe this means I will have an early baby rather then a late one! haha! But I get that hope rather easily! :LOL
#4 of 10 Old 08-05-2005, 01:16 PM

I am also leaking ( although it is a very small amount ) and it is my first, I am 28 weeks. I told my midwife and she smiled and said " great, they are working".
#5 of 10 Old 08-05-2005, 04:16 PM

i've been getting "crusties" on my nipples that look like dried milk, so I assume it's colostrum. i got it really early (16 weeks or so) with ds, and didn't notice it at all in my last pregnancy (but ds was nursing a lot, so there wasn't much to leak! but i think it wasn't until sometime after 32 weeks or so that i noticed ds having the nasty black colostrum poops)
#6 of 10 Old 08-05-2005, 05:48 PM

I've been making colostrum for the past 2 months now. It hasn't been leaking though...DS doesn't give it a chance to, he drinks every last drop he can get. :LOL

#7 of 10 Old 08-05-2005, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How many contractions are you having? How painful are they? Next time you get them lay down on our left side and drink a quart of water and see if that helps. If that doesn't get rid of them I would call your midwife. Our standard instructions for patients. I know that with each pregnancy I've had more BH contractions each time, but they aren't painful.
On hot days, I have quite a lot of contractions, especially in the evening. For the most part they're just uncomfortable, but I did have about an hour of painful contractions two days ago. I was about to head to the hospital when they stopped. It's very nervewracking. It has been 100 degrees here today, and I'm kind of hanging out in dread waiting to see what's going to happen. I have been very careful-- tons of water, lots of sitting still in air-conditioned spaces, etc, but I definitely still feel it. My midwife said we're going to use me to predict the weather. What I'd give to be four weeks farther along right now, though...
#8 of 10 Old 08-08-2005, 06:50 PM

My milk never even dried up all the way, and the last time I nursed was 4+ years ago! I could squeeze colostrum pretty early on in this pregancy (I'm 30 weeks). About the contractions, I second (or third) the good advice already given: drink LOTS of water, rest when they get uncomfortable. I am finding with the heat they are more frequent, and when I exercise they come on with mild to moderate exertion. I think in the 3rd trimester just mellow swims and walks & yoga are it for exercise!
#9 of 10 Old 08-08-2005, 09:21 PM

I have never leaked colostrum in pregnancy...I know I have some because I asked dd. When I was pregnant with my first I was told I probably wouldn't get milk either since I didn't have any colostrum....boy were they wrong...I never leak milk after the first few weeks either. I feel lucky.
#10 of 10 Old 08-10-2005, 11:29 PM

For the last 3 or 4 days I've been leaking colostrum and I must say I find it both fascinating and irritating.

Irritating in that now when I wake up sometimes my nightgowns have big crusty circles on them

Fascinating as in WOW my body's making stuff getting ready for my baby!!!!

Also, I had a question about it. So you know how the stuff comes out of a whole bunch of different "holes" right? Are they all the same? because it seems like the "middle" hole has a clearish liquid and the stuff coming out of the holes near the bottom are thicker and bright orange. It reminded me of a soda fountain or something, where the syrup mixes with the carbonated water. My DH thought I was a little crazy when I told him that, but the he was fascinated as well :LOL

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon?

Mom to DD(2005), SD(2004), DS(2013) and expecting another boy June 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page