Plus size mamas~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-13-2005, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how all the plus size mamas are doing with their pregnancies? I've already gained a lot (over 30lbs), but in the past 2 months gained only 3lbs. I was told that being plus sized I am at higher risk for things, but so far its all good. How about you? My BP is 117/72, my glucose levels were fine, iron levels fine (and I'm veggie). My hips and back have not been in great shape and I'm sure the extra weight isn't helping. I don't really exercise at this point. I was doing yoga for the first few months, but even light yoga was increasing my back and groin pain, so I stopped. I really wish I would have had a better exercise routine before getting pregnant, I actually feel like I want to exercise, but it hurts. At least I get my heart rate going every day either with house work or yard work!

I've always held my weight pretty well, kind of evenly all over, with a big chest. I've grown a lot in my belly, but my boobs are competing with it (gone up 3 cup sizes) and only recently has my belly stuck out past my boobs! It makes me sad because most people don't seem to notice that I'm pregnant, I think it just looks like I've gained weight. I'm 7 months! I thought by now it would be obvious! It makes me sad, but I guess the good part is I don't have any strangers walking up and touching my belly! So how are things going for you?

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 08-13-2005, 10:25 PM

I hear you about the not really looking pregnant thing That kinda stinks eh.
My DH is tired of hearing me ask "Do I look pregnant yet or still just fat?"

For some reason I have a line around the middle of my tummy still which adds to the "just fat" illusion. [gross]You know, the one where your pants go, that kinda separates the upper roll from the lower roll?[/gross] well that never went away, even though there is definately uterus on the top and the bottom and not much else -- it's all hard and not flabby, but there is a definate line there still. I'm hoping it at least goes away in the 8th month or so.

For exercise have you tried swimming? that should be fairly gentle and I found it to be relaxing. But it can be a pain to get yourself to the pool if you don't have one in your backyard. Despite the best of intentions I've only gone 3 times :

House and yard work is pretty good exercise too I try to walk everyday also which while it's getting harder makes me feel like I can sit around the rest of the time guiltfree.

I've gained over 40lbs at 7 months : but my BP is good (I can never remember the numbers but my midwife is always pleased with it). I passed my glucose test and haven't had any protein in my urine so so far so good.

Mom to DD(2005), SD(2004), DS(2013) and expecting another boy June 2014!
#3 of 24 Old 08-13-2005, 11:20 PM

I am peeking in from the November board. But I had to add my two cents. I am plus size too, so I can totally relate. I am finally starting to show at the end of my 6th month. For exercise I was walking, but I got lazy last week. I have been swimming too, or just floating around the pool. Just kidding. I wish you ladies the best of luck with your pregnancies and labors.
#4 of 24 Old 08-14-2005, 12:49 AM

i'm a plus sized momma, and i've been showing since about the time i peed on the stick

anyhow, i'm up about 25 lbs, by iron is fine, but i flunked my 1 hour GTT - still waiting on the results of the 3 hour. This has been my worst pregnancy physically (i'm about the size i was during my first pregnancy, but considerably larger than I was for my secod pregnancy, oddly enough). My knees are bothering me, and my pelvic area is constantly sore. And now, all of a sudden, my back has started hurting. argh.
#5 of 24 Old 08-14-2005, 01:27 AM

Like you *green*faery*, my weight has always been spread out fairly evenly (although my back side does seem to gather a little extra proportionally...family trait on my mom's side). I started out this pregnant about 15 to 20 lbs heavier than I started with my first pregnancy. I have managed to be a lot more active however. I was doing really really good with exercise - yoga, walking, swimming like 5 times a week. That has really declined in the last month. If I overdo I can very easily bring on sciatic pain. I am trying to get to the pool more often, that feels great when I can get myself to my mom's to use her pool. I really want to get the yoga back in though, like 3 times a week would be good. I'm feeling pretty tired and achy lately and it is hard to get motivated!
Let's see, I've gained 24 lbs at this point. Not too bad I suppose. I'm about 3 lbs heavier right now than I was at the end of my first pregnancy and I've got 7 weeks until the due date. In the last month though my weight has just gone up and down so in effect I've stayed the same...between about 238 and 240.
Everyone keeps telling me I'm getting all belly and not gaining anywhere else...it's nice to hear. Although I'm sure it's just being distributed fairly evenly.
So I'm a bit bigger at this point than I was with my last pregnancy, but overall I'm feeling a lot better with more energy than last pregnancy. I would have to chalk it up to a mostly whole foods organic diet, taking whole food supplements etc.

#6 of 24 Old 08-14-2005, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Swimming sounds so nice! I was going to physical therapy for my sciatica, and they had a nice, very warm pool for me to exercise in. I loved the pool. I quit going because its about 45min away and my insurance deductible just went up to $20. By the time I sat in the car and drove home my back didn't feel much better! I was thinking about going to one of the community pools by where I live. I dunno, there's always lots of kids (peeing,hehe) and chlorine is yucky, but it might be worth it. My energy level was good today, but my back prevented me from doing much, it's kind of frustrating!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#7 of 24 Old 08-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
For some reason I have a line around the middle of my tummy still which adds to the "just fat" illusion. [gross]You know, the one where your pants go, that kinda separates the upper roll from the lower roll?[/gross] well that never went away, even though there is definately uterus on the top and the bottom and not much else -- it's all hard and not flabby, but there is a definate line there still. I'm hoping it at least goes away in the 8th month or so.
MY BELLY TOO! EXACTLY! :LOL

I have had trouble keeping my anemia in check and been light headed and TIRED pretty much this entire time. But thats been pretty much my only problem. The first trimester was just pure nausea so luckily that is over. Right now I am trying to get over a killer sinus infection that has knocked me on my butt.

I haven't gained any weight. I lost 10 initially and am now one pound less than what I was when I had my first doc visit in feb. But, I can feel her getting bigger almost daily it seems. She is already head down and kicking the fool out of my ribs. She is soooo active and giving me a run for my money.

I just want this heat to go away. I have been having trouble staying hydrated and today was my first time going out doors in almost a week. I think I produced enough sweat to last me a life time. I can't wait for October to get here!
#8 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 AM

On my third pregnancy, I no longer expect people to notice I am pregnant. I look pregnant, mind you. But people see what the expect to see, and since I was fat to begin with, they just think I am getting fatter. On the one hand, it annoys me some, but then I read about other women either having total strangers coming up to rub their bellies or being asked constantly why their baby hasn't been born yet, and realize that an undercover pregnancy isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Besides, I take a perverse pleasure in springing a newborn on people who have seen me repeatedly and never noticed I was pregnant. :LOL

I'm bigger this pregnancy than in either of my previous two pregnancies. My belly has stuck out farther than my breasts since about 24 weeks, and since I wear an H/I cup, that's no mean feat! I seem to have gained about 19 or 20 pounds (haven't weighed myself in a while), which means I might wind up gaining more this time than either time before (gained 26 last time). Of course, that 20 pounds is accounting for the weight I lost first trimester, it's only about 14 over my prepregnancy weight. (I've also lost less weight this time than before.)

I'm starting to get impatient, too.: I've got a countdown going in the corner of my browser (it's a Firefox plug-in) that tells me I've got only a little more than 2 months to go, but I went a month early last time! So I'm getting a bit paranoid since we're far from having all our supplies.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#9 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 03:39 PM

I'm doing very well. I was so worried since everyone kept saying "any extra weight automatically makes pregnancy MISERABLE!!" Bull honkey. :LOL

All of my vitals have been great. My bp is nice and normal, right around 110-120/60-70. I passed my post-prandial (refused GTT) with flying colors. At 31 weeks I had gained 16 lbs and was measuring at 32 cm. Everything is great. I'm still fitting just fine in my XL and XXL maternity clothes. That's a huge relief.

Now, at 33 weeks, I'm getting more hip, knee, and foot pain. I think that's just normal pregnancy stuff though. It's not horrible, just annoying. I say that overall I'm feeling really darned good for being this late in the pregnancy.

Here I am two weeks ago:

31 week picture
#10 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 03:50 PM

well..I have been really struggling with my weight this pregnancy...even though I have only gained 27lbs which isnt' terrible and right on target with waht I gained with the others

Today some guy called me "fatty" and I was so upset... I feel great...physically all is well...no problems whatsoever) I think that's what has been bothering me...I look more fat than pregnant this time....

Here is my pic from last week.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v711/g...ec30wk1day.jpg
#11 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls
well..I have been really struggling with my weight this pregnancy...even though I have only gained 27lbs which isnt' terrible and right on target with waht I gained with the others

Today some guy called me "fatty" and I was so upset... I feel great...physically all is well...no problems whatsoever) I think that's what has been bothering me...I look more fat than pregnant this time....

Here is my pic from last week.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v711/g...ec30wk1day.jpg
More fat than pregnant??? Are you kidding???? I looked at that picture you posted and there's definitely a big watermelon out there in front. You look fantastic. Okay, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you seem to be headless -- I hope you find it before long (I hear heads are good to have).

Forget the jerk who called you "fatty." He's clearly out of his mind. You couldn't look more perfectly pregnant if you had a baby hanging out, heh.
#12 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Thanks...Shorin Mama...yes I do seem to be headless :LOL :LOL but since I haven't been using it lately..well...I stopped wearing it : :

I think I am starting to look pregnant-er now...but you know how body image works...well...it's not logical...and I do weigh a lot but I was doing ok...I am trying to not pay too much attention to a youngster in a souped up sunfire(I told him my grandma drives one )
#13 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 04:50 PM

Hey...I just saw the link to your pic...you look awesome...you certainly have the "glow" everyone talks about...I don't have a head so I don't glow :LOL

That top you are wearing is so pretty!
#14 of 24 Old 08-15-2005, 06:26 PM

Hello ladies, I am a plus size soon to be mama too, what do you all consider plus size thou? Im about 280 and feel hugh, but I started the pregnancy at 270 so I havnt gained much. My mil keeps asking when Im gonna show, uh well I could pull up my shirt and pull my pants down a little and show you my belly, is that what you want :LOL

Its so funny my whole life I never thought my belly would be bigger than the twins but it is now and thats kinda scarey since the twins just keep getting bigger and bigger. My bra broke and I need a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? I dont really want to order off line and the maternity store doesnt carry anything bigger, I live in portland.

Wishing everyone good days and no pain
#15 of 24 Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's hard to define plus size, it depends a lot on height. Probably size 14 and up, at least that's what most plus size stores carry. As for bras, I have bought a couple online, but I also got one at the lactation center at the hospital I'm going to. If you go to a hospital/birthing center check there. Otherwise go to a professional tailor and ask if they know of anyone who makes custom bras. I couldn't find anyone around here, but I know most larger cities have people who do that.

#16 of 24 Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 PM

i'm slow to jump in on this one; been having computer issues *sigh*

Anyway, besides having "diabetes" (i don't think i have a problem, but i'm still debating it with my ancient and closed-minded OB) this pregnancy is completely perfect; the LPN who usually sees me always asks: "so what, do you just not get stretch marks?" (he's obviously married, the guy is trained, lol). Fact is, i DO have stretch marks, they're just the light, small kind, and i think they're so minimal because my belly was flabby to start with, so there was more to stretch, hehe!

I've gained about 5 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight (lost some, gained some, you know how it goes), but the last three happened in the last two weeks. They put me on a low-calorie diet, which i find odd, since two weeks before failing my 1-hour GTT (i refuse to take the 3-hour one), everyone at that office was interrogating me about my LACK of weight-gain. i'm scheduled for a consultation with a dietician next week, so i guess we'll see if the person who is actually trained in that area has anything different to say :P

i really want to get a belly pic up, but i'm having a hard time bringing myself to "waste" the film (for some reason, everyone on ebay we've bought digital cameras from have screwed us)...which i know is silly, because as soon as this baby is born, i'll be mad at myself if i don't get a pic. Just having body-image issues, which i'm sure everyone understands. I guess it's hard for everyone, but with the added "gee, you don't even look pregnant" it's not any easier. I still have people saying "oh, i didn't know you were expecting" or "you're due so soon?" because they're used to me being big. The worst is when someone is checking out the belly, but they think you don't notice, lol, and they're afraid to ask. Argh. I recently got a roll of film back from a day out with the kids and an old friend of mine from school; she took a pic of me with Willow, and i looked so horrible It was an adorable pic of my little girl, but i couldn't put it in her album, because i ruined it. I asked my husband "OMG, do i ALWAYS look this fat?" Poor guy didn't know how to answer, lol, he said "well, it does look like you, but i don't think you look fat" haha, he's trained too. It was a chest-up pic, but that was enough to show me that the maternity shirt that i was wearing ALL the time is not flattering on me--i wish i'd have developed that film about two months sooner, or someone had told me!!! I hate feeling like this; i felt beautiful with my other two pregnancies, but i was still a teenager, lol, so i guess that probably helped!

Sheesh! i turned this post into a vent--sorry ladies, i didn't mean to hijack it!!!

OH! i forgot to add; *my* boobs aren't any bigger--why not??? I'm still stuck at barely-a-C, and it's not a full attractive C either! If i have to be chubby, why can't i at least have a nice rack, why??? My chest never gets bigger with pregnancy (only thing that brought it up from an A was general weight-gain after my first child) OR nursing, and afterwards, well, you know what happens afterwards, lol!
#17 of 24 Old 08-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Okay, ladies, it's tough love time.

Go and take those pictures!

Your baby doesn't care if you're fat or skinny, your baby loves you. He or she could have picked any mother in the world but you were the one he/she wanted -- including the body you have right now at this instant. In a few years your child is going to want to know about what is was like when you were pregnant. They're going to want to see you no matter what size you are. Do you want to tell them that you didn't take any pictures because you were ashamed of your body while it was creating him or her?

Take your pictures and rejoice in your wonderful body that is growing your baby so well. Being skinny does not make you a good person any more than being fat makes you a bad one.

Oh, and go read these pages: The woman who was too big for God , Reflecting Venus , Adios Barbie , and In Praise of BIG Women
#18 of 24 Old 08-17-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorin_Mama
Okay, ladies, it's tough love time.

Go and take those pictures!

Your baby doesn't care if you're fat or skinny, your baby loves you. He or she could have picked any mother in the world but you were the one he/she wanted -- including the body you have right now at this instant. In a few years your child is going to want to know about what is was like when you were pregnant. They're going to want to see you no matter what size you are. Do you want to tell them that you didn't take any pictures because you were ashamed of your body while it was creating him or her?

Take your pictures and rejoice in your wonderful body that is growing your baby so well. Being skinny does not make you a good person any more than being fat makes you a bad one.

Oh, and go read these pages: The woman who was too big for God , Reflecting Venus , Adios Barbie , and In Praise of BIG Women

Thank you!
#19 of 24 Old 08-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Cool websites . I had seenthe barbie one before and played that "Feed the starving model game" :LOL . I really like the "In Praise of Big Women". Good stuff.

#20 of 24 Old 08-18-2005, 01:57 AM

"In Praise of Big Women" is one of my all-time favorites. That guy is so encouraging. I get a little misty whenever I read "The Woman who was too Big for God" as well. She really described what it feels like, you know?

#21 of 24 Old 08-18-2005, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

People may have trouble telling I'm pregnant, and my face has even gotten fatter, but I haven't felt so beautiful in my whole life. My hair has grown a ton and is almost to my waist, my eyes and skin look good. Its a weird feeling that started as soon as I got pregnant. My husband doesn't seem to mind my changing body. We are fertility goddesses! hehe. One of my very cute and very skinny friends called me that, then commented on how my boobs are "so big and round" and she couldn't wait to have kids someday so she would have boobs.

#22 of 24 Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Today while getting ready for my doc appointment I stood in front of the mirror naked and really liked what I saw. I walked to the dining room where my husband was and said, "I look like the Venus of Willendorf." We giggled and he said I looked so beautiful. My breasts are so swollen and saggy and my belly is just bulging out there and eventhough I am miserable sometimes, I feel so enamoured with myself. I love my body right now and the fact that my child is inside me growing and flourishing.
#23 of 24 Old 08-18-2005, 08:42 PM

I agree, even though I ache I love the feeling of my baby growing and moving inside me. This has been a very difficult pregnancy but the other day I decided that I was going to be positive and happy and I cant wait to hold my little monkey. I told my friends today that I am so excited and I am.
Im in love with this little baby and I dont even know what he looks like, not that it matters though. I do dream of his precious face often.
#24 of 24 Old 08-18-2005, 08:49 PM

You ladies have such wonderful attitudes about this and I felt really wonderful with my last pregnancy...this time I am struggling and I don't know why...but I do know that I have been more emotional all around so that may be it.

I am going to try to feel better...it's totally unlike me to feel negative at any time except for occasional bad moods even when pregnant.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page