strep b test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you taking or not taking the strep B test, and why?

I don't know if I should decline it or not.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 07:29 PM

If you are un-sure, keep researching. Ask your midwife lots of questions. Look over the internet. Try using this acronym when asking questions:

B What are the benifits?
R What are the risks?
A What are the alternatives?
N What if nothing is done?
D Make your decision.

BRAND

If you are not sure, keep looking.

Enjoy your pg.

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#3 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 07:35 PM

i am not a october momma but i thought i would put my 2 cents in!! i went back and forth on this one. it was not the test i was worried about but the outcome. i REALLY dont want to take medicines while i was in labor/delivery. my NP told me that if i did not take the test then the hospital would make me take the medicine anyways for "just in case" so i could take it and if it came back positive then we would go from there. i am sure all of that talking was to just scare me....which is worked. i did take the test and thankfully came back negative.

when it comes down to it....it is your decision

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
#4 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 PM

:
#5 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 08:55 PM

I refused it...if the results were positive then I would have to have a hospital birth...

So I refused it and will do my own natural ways to discourage group B growth around delivery

For what it's worth I have never had the test...when I had my older 2 babies it wasn't offered.
#6 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 PM

I'm thinking of taking the test---I was positive with my third baby---but declining antibiotics in labor anyhow. You're all wondering, so why take the test at all? Well, for one thing, if it's negative this time, there's automatically less worry in that area. And if it's positive, they can observe the baby more carefully in the first few days, and I can watch him/her carefully at home. I tend to think the whole thing is a lot more hype than anything else.

And by the way, NO ONE can force you to take antibiotics or any other darned thing in labor. You can legally refuse absolutely everything. I mean, of course if Baby is in distress and you refuse treatment, you'd be in hot water....but that's a no brainer....and in all other cases, you have the right to refuse everything. It makes me FUME when I hear about hospitals or scareproviders who tell women they "must" submit to such and such. Women of the world, we can JUST SAY NO!!

I have refused eye drops, vaccinations, antibiotics in labor, certain newborn tests that they'd have to take the baby away for (like hearing tests), and just about everything else under the sun. And no one here is any the worse for wear because of it!!
#7 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler
And by the way, NO ONE can force you to take antibiotics or any other darned thing in labor. You can legally refuse absolutely everything. I mean, of course if Baby is in distress and you refuse treatment, you'd be in hot water....but that's a no brainer....and in all other cases, you have the right to refuse everything. It makes me FUME when I hear about hospitals or scareproviders who tell women they "must" submit to such and such. Women of the world, we can JUST SAY NO!!

I have refused eye drops, vaccinations, antibiotics in labor, certain newborn tests that they'd have to take the baby away for (like hearing tests), and just about everything else under the sun. And no one here is any the worse for wear because of it!!

Actually...you are right...I have considered taking the test and if the midwives refuse to deliver me at home if it's positive then having a UC which I am considering anyway...
#8 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 PM

I'm going to decline this time. I was positive at the end of my pregnancy with my daughter [but not at the beginning]. So at the beginning of this one, my OB didn't bother retesting me. I figure, I'll just do the garlic treatment thing and go from there. I really don't want any testing, and don't want antibiotics, I'm not really all that worried.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#9 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler
. Women of the world, we can JUST SAY NO!!

I wish I had known more about the legal side of things with my last birth.

This time will hopefully be at home, so I won't have to worry about the bull...
Thanks for sharing! I'm sure this info will put some worried minds to rest.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#10 of 14 Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 PM

I'm declining it. I'd not do the ABX anyway, so there's really no point.
#11 of 14 Old 08-19-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach
I'll just do the garlic treatment thing and go from there.
What is the garlic treatment thing?
I have also read on MDC that you can start taking Probiotics to help get a negative result during this test. I know NOTHING about Probiotics so I am trying to find some pills, or recipes to making my own to ensure I test negative.
Tested positive last time and was given antibiotics....DS and I ended up with thrush, I would CERTAINLY like to avoid that this time.
#12 of 14 Old 08-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonsmama
What is the garlic treatment thing?
I have also read on MDC that you can start taking Probiotics to help get a negative result during this test. I know NOTHING about Probiotics so I am trying to find some pills, or recipes to making my own to ensure I test negative.
Tested positive last time and was given antibiotics....DS and I ended up with thrush, I would CERTAINLY like to avoid that this time.
My mother told me that garlic is a great antibiotic. I remember when we had sore throats as a kid, she'd make us eat garlic. So it only made sense when my midwife recommended garlic. She did say it seems highly effective, though I don't think there are any real studies on it's effects with GBS.
But basically, you stick a clove of garlic .....(you know where!) at bedtime. You do this at bedtime, because you might start tasting garlic in your mouth, and it'd be a lot easier to deal with at bedtime than during the day. Anyway, I'm not sure how many days in a row [I will find out today] you're supposed to do it, but my midwife is confident in it.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#13 of 14 Old 08-19-2005, 03:06 PM

i'm taking it. I'll do antibiotics during labor if required.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#14 of 14 Old 08-19-2005, 04:53 PM

ARRGHHH!!! I have tried replying to this three times and keep losing my freaking post!!!

Since I don't feel liek writting it again. Iam leaning towards no but I may take it. I have to talk to midwife more at my next appt.
here's some links! HTH
http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/gbs/hospitals_start.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_111011387
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=231990

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page