killer backaches...suggestions?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, here's another thing I'd love advice about. I'm getting killer, from hell, unrelenting backaches now, and the pain gets so bad I feel like I'll lose my mind. I'm like, there's NO WAY I can stand six more weeks of this, OMG, I'll go nuts. The pain is just under my shoulder blades, and is like a terrible burning, pulling sensation, and spreads around my front as well. It's like a belt of hot, searing pain all the way around my upper abdomen. I have a very elaborate and supportive pregnancy sling/support system, and even that doesn't help anymore.

The worst possible position is sitting, the only thing that helps is lying down propped with pillows. But of course, with three kids and a very active life, I don't do much lying down! And even when I do, the pain returns the instant I get up. I'm to the point of having to stand up to eat.

Does anyone know what in the world this is, and how to fix it? I'm scheduling a pregnancy massage for a week or two from now, but in the meanwhile....all suggestions would be ever so welcome. The pain used to just show up in the late afternoon and evening, now it starts well before lunch. Swimming doesn't even help. Arrghhhh!
#2 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 04:36 AM

I had a backache last week so bad I literally had to crawl up the stairs to get to my bedroom. Oddly enough, two acetaminophen (which have always been on the list of acceptable drugs to take during pregnancy; I'm not one to flip over taking any OTC medications) knocked it out enough for me to be able to move again without wanting to cry, I even managed to stand up long enough to make my husband lunch for the next day. Didn't kill the pain completely, but I know better than to expect that.

Since then I've taken acetaminophen twice when I felt a bad backache coming on, and it's gotten rid of it both times. Not sure if it would help you, but it probably won't hurt to try.

You can also try a hot shower. Works best if you've got a handheld sprayer & can aim the water exactly where you need it. My bathtub just isn't deep enough or shaped well enough for a hot bath to work the same way for me, but that's another suggestion.

If you don't want to take any medicine, the ThermaCare patches also are very good in my experience. They're charcoal. Unless you're very thin, get the patches made for menstrual cramps instead of the ones for back pain; they've got adhesive so you can stick them to your shirt or pants. It's another of those things that you have to be really prompt about, though, because they take forever to heat up & don't work til they're warm.

You might want to check out this page on Optimum Fetal Positioning (basically the same information as at Spinning Babies, but more helpful to me. It might well be a muscle-tiredness issue rather than a fetal-positioning one, from the sound of it, which means you're stuck with treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#3 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 10:02 AM

Hot bathes definitely help me. Something else you may want to try is a supplement called Natural Calm. It has helped me tremendously with backache including sciatica and leg cramps. From what I understand, your body uses calcium to contract your muscles and uses magnesium to relax them. So maybe you are lacking in the magnesium department. You can get it at the HFS, you put a teaspoon of powder in boiling water then add cold water and drink it up. Works great! I usually make a cup with 2 teaspoons and take that to the bath with me

#4 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 12:43 PM

Chiro works better for me than massage. Can you do both?

Czen
#5 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 02:07 PM

So sorry to hear about your tormenting back pain. With my DD i had unbearable back pain to the point of me sitting in the bathtub holding the shower head to hit my back, i'd sit in there for 30 mins at a time for 5 mins of relief, only to have it return. I took OTC stuff to try to fix it. NOTHING WORKED. I dreaded the 2nd and 3rd trimesters this time around as i knew it would kick my butt and i didnt know how i'd run around after DD with that kind of pain.

The minute my back pain reared its ugly head i contacted my midwives and they had me come in for some accupressure (not puncture). And to my complete and utter disbelief it hasnt come back. Im 31 weeks and my back has absolutely not a single complaint. And this baby is bigger then DD was at this point, so i know my back is getting a work out, they were just able to relieve a lot of pain and pressure. I also strongly recommend a chiropractor!!

They also gave me an incredibly interesting article titled 'Birthing Fear: The Iliopsoas Muscle' by Liz Koch. I found this to be dead on for me as i had a traumatic first birth. May have nothing to do with your back pain, but thought it was worth mentioning. Hope something helps and you are able to find some relief soon!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page