What are you doing to prepare for the birth?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-22-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saw this on another board and thought it would be fun here too.

Since we are getting closer to our EDDs, what kinds of things are you doing to prepare or are you waiting a while? I'm a planner so I've already started. :LOL

I made a list yesterday of what I need for the birth. I have some of the stuff but I need to buy several things.

If I can motivate my dh, we need to rearrange our bedroom so that the pool fits in here better. Otherwise, it's going to be a tight squeeze!!!

I'm not too worried about making meals ahead. For one, I can't stand the taste of frozen and reheated meals. My Mom will be here so she will help cook and we might also have some meals brought over from ladies at church.

All of his clothes are ready. I do need some more cloth diapers (mostly ubpf) but it's not a pressing thing b/c I have a few fitteds that I can use too.
#2 of 11 Old 08-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Well we seem to be a bit behind this time.......
Probably because I expect to be overdue again and thus will have LOTS of extra time to finish getting ready.
So far I am researching how to ensure I get a negative GBS test, and ordered four books from Amazon on Friday that I can NOT wait to get and really hope I have the time to read all of!
I bought The Birth Partner, Ina May's natural birth book, A thinking woman's guide to child birth, and......OH the Bradley Method birthing book.
Can't wait to get reading!
Other then that we have a car seat for the baby....no clothing or anything else ready!
#3 of 11 Old 08-22-2005, 08:51 PM

I bought a herbal postpartum bath...I have listened to my hypnobirthing cd 2 times and the futon is in the back room near the bathroom where I intend to give birth

I get a homebirthing kit from my midwife and it will have a list of things I need to supply...I did get a bin to put everything in.

and I have to make frozen postpartum pads...
#4 of 11 Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 PM

Okay, I just suddenly acquired the agility to move my king size bed, dresser, and changing table around in my bedroom. It's looking nicer in there, and now there is room for the birthing tub to go in there

Now I need to:
-Either find some curtains at the second hand store, or some blankets to put up instead so this apartment has a bit more privacy.
-Get all the stuff we don't use anymore (most of it is already bagged and boxed) out of here!
-Get my DS a bed for his room so he has the option to sleep in there....he's welcome to co-sleep still, but he said he'd like to sleep in his own bed if we get him one.
-Get umm, I can't think of the name of it right now...those things you put on your boxsprings to cover them...some of those .
-Get a new bath mat.
-Get some neutral newborn clothes.
-Get newborn diapers.
-Make some pocket slings.
-Make some cool art to put on our bare walls.

#5 of 11 Old 08-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldshakerz
Okay, I just suddenly acquired the agility to move my king size bed, dresser, and changing table around in my bedroom. It's looking nicer in there, and now there is room for the birthing tub to go in there
:

I'm doing a hospital birth and I've been wrapping up the details on Erin's care -- just discussed dropping off the extra carseat at my friends' house. This weekend I'm packing her bag, complete with a note. I asked her last weekend if she wanted Deb to come to our house or dd to go to deb's house -- saying she might spend the night. DD said "I want to go to deb's house, it will be an adventure." So I bought her some disposable pullups a few weeks ago...into the bag they go.

Stupid detail: I thought about it this morning and this weekend I'm also going out to buy a second set of shampoo/conditioner because last time I hadn't packed them and my dh was clueless when I sent him home for them :LOL.

I talked to my ob yesterday about when to come in and the risks/benefits of being there at various times. She's pretty flexible and knows I want few interventions, yet I'm doing a VBAC so both she and I want someone to monitor me. I told her that my dh is definitely not a homebirth guy but it almost feels like I'd rather have hired a homebirth midwife so I would have someone at my house. OB laughed and said she thought laboring at home was a good idea and set out her suggestions. I can obviously do whatever. So I felt pretty good, I know what her thoughts are and I can make an informed decision at the time.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 11 Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

:LOL April ~ HOW did you manage to rearrange all that??
#7 of 11 Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 PM

:LOL

Seriously, I had a case of superhuman strength. Really though, it wasn't too hard...I just took my time and did it carefully. The bed is not on a frame, and the king size mattress is on two twin box springs. I just kind of scooted those on the floor and then somehow dragged the big mattress over to them....it was a couple of feet, to the perpendicular wall. The dresser, I took out all the drawers first and it was really light, and again I just kind of dragged it where it should go.
It's funny really, it would have been a sight to see I'm sure....my huge pregnant self dragging furniture around on a sudden whim....literally, I walked into the room for something and remembered a conversation I had with DH on how we might re-arrange things and was like, "Okay, I'm doing it right now!"

#8 of 11 Old 08-25-2005, 03:12 PM

Hmm. DH and I have vaguely talked about a birth plan and relaxation practice. Guess we'd better get on that, huh?

A happy woman
#9 of 11 Old 08-25-2005, 06:23 PM

I've got lots of LISTS going, but I'm saving most of the birth preparation for September when I have a little more time. I've been busy with birthdays for both of my girls and back to school stuff!

I'm also still trying to finish a bunch of projects left over from our move in April. Still lots of painting to do!
#10 of 11 Old 08-27-2005, 06:52 PM

I am planning on using cloth diapers so I need to buy some PUL fabric and get to work.

I just organized all of the baby cloths hand-me-downs by size, and have plenty of clothes for the next year.

I'm signing up for a prenatal exercise class to deal with all of my aches and pains

I had better dig up my hypnobirthing tapes and start practising wth my relaxation technique!
#11 of 11 Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 AM

we have bought:
~ lots od newborn/small cloth diapers
~ Stuff listed to bring to birthing center (chux pads, betadine, etc)
~working on packing bag now
~ And we need to get carseat in the car soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page