Spinoff: Food for birthing day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, October mamas...

I just received some awesome advice from fellow MDC mamas regarding labor-friendly foods for our birthing class, so I figured that I would start another thread for suggestions for good foods for birthing.

I am a big fruit person so I could see having a yummy fruit salad (which is what I will be bringing to our class this weekend).

I've been trolling the frozen section at my local HFS looking for yummy treats such as juicy popsicles. Any suggestions?

For protein I will have yogurt, as well as sprouted raw nuts (cashews, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds). When the nuts are sprouted they tend to have a softer, 'fluffier' texture and a milder taste which is delicious. It's also easier to digest.

For a more substantial food item I think I'll make a big baked ziti with veggie ground round. It's easy and quick. Also perhaps a batch of Brazilian Black Bean soup (from the original Moosewood cookbook), very very yummy and nutritious and also very easy.

Perhaps some cheese/crackers/hummus for DH and midwives, don't think I'll be much into that myself for some reason though.

For hydration, I will have Recharge (I like the orange flavor), organic lemonade, Arizona iced green tea, sparkling mineral water and good old spring water. I just bought a few bottles of Trinity flavored spring waters to try. I might get a few Vitamin Waters, too.

I have heard of women who like to bake in early labor. Don't know if that will be me, so just in case I bought organic cake and frosting mix (by Dr. Oetkers). If I'm struck with the baking bug I will make our baby's Birth Day cake. Mmmm, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.
#2 of 6 Old 08-28-2005, 08:51 AM

Well, I just pulled some pretzels from the oven, & so loved the smell of the yeast when I was making them that I'm pretty convinced I want to take the time to bake bread as an early-labor project. If it's not too hot, that is.

I'm thinking also I'll keep some raw veggies on hand, especially cauliflower, since over yesterday & today I just about ate my way through a whole head of cauliflower myself.

Protein...I'm really not sure. Probably keep it to easy-to-digest things like yoghurt & cheese. I'm not vegetarian, but the idea of something heavy like meat during labor doesn't sit too well.

I'll definitely have tea and ice water to drink; that's just normal for me. I'm pretty sure there'll be chocolate involved somehow.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#3 of 6 Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 AM

I'm definitely going to have lots of fruit handy. I remember when I was in labor with DS, I had brought some protien bars and I don't know what else. I could only nibble at the protien bars, I think they were to heavy a food. I was so nauseous I ended up mostly drinking water the whole time. This is what I'm thinking, some really light and nutritious foods:

-Frozen grapes
-Fresh fruits: watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, bananas
-Soup and/or broth to sip
-Popsicles made from Recharge or something similar
-Recharge and water to drink
-Yogurt for protien

#4 of 6 Old 08-28-2005, 05:44 PM

When I was in labor with DS, I ate some tuna salad on stone ground wheat thins. And I threw it up later. :Puke

So I would not recommend tuna. :LOL
#5 of 6 Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 AM

I'll have light snacky stuff on hand. I was all prepared to LOVE having the freedome to eat during my last labor (1st homebirth)...and just wasn't hungry.

This time I will be sure to have:
popsicles
honey sticks
EmergenC
#6 of 6 Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 PM

I don't eat much during labour but I do plan on having trail mix, OJ, fruit, etc on hand just in case. What I really want to have is good after birth food. I'm planning on having a hearty stew in the freezer that can just be thawed and heated. I have also ordered a Happy Birth Day ice cream cake to have in the freezer. I told my DH the cake is for the kids but he says I'm just fooling myself and its the two of us who will really be into it! He's probably right!

Czen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page